Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart 3DS Casting Call!  (Read 55716 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »
One of the main reasons I'm excited for this game and confident it will be excellent is that Retro Studios (of Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country returns fame) is codeveloping the game.

They're not. All they did was contribute a DKCR track and DK's model.

Probably due to their development, there's a DKCR themed track in the game.

There is. It's right there in the trailer.

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2011, 01:43:45 PM »
Costumes would be super fun, but I can't see Nintendo using it as a way to condense roster space.  While I think the babies are super lame, Nintendo is likely to try to cater to all Mario fans, including baby-fans.  I'm sure Nintendo considers Baby Luigi and Baby Mario separate characters, so they'll continue to get separate spots on the roster.  

Unless an awesome miracle happens and we get Kamek, the Koopalings, E. Gadd, Wart, Geno, Dixie Kong, Mona, etc. instead of the lame babies.  I would love that, but I don't see it happening.  HOWEVER, if alternate costumes were the only way to get all 7 Koopalings, I'd be okay with that.  Also, I could see Nintendo just putting in a handful of Koopalings... I'd be absolutely okay with that.  One for each weight class?  Lemmy (small), Wendy (medium) and Morton (large)?  Yeah, I'd dig that.  I'd dig that like crazy.   

IGN suggested biker attire for all characters on bikes, and assuming bikes come back for MK3D, I'd be super on board for that.  Mario and the fellas rockin' leather jackets and cool helmets while the girls still get those form-fitting jumpsuits.  I definitely hope bikes and tricks come back, but I won't be surprised if they don't.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:01:11 PM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2011, 02:10:08 PM »
Neither the babies nor the Koopaling would work as "costumes" because they have radically different physiques than their base characters.

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
The babies are practically the same character model with different heads and palette swaps.  Saying Baby Mario has a "radically different physique" compared to Baby Luigi is hilarious to me.  True to real-life babies, the Mario babies are very similar looking.  Maybe that's why they bug me?

The Koopalings on the other hand really do have very different body types, but you could pick one large, medium and small Koopaling, and still reasonably have other similarly sized Koopalings as alternate "costumes."  Roy and Morton are pretty similar in build and since Iggy has had his NSMBWii growth spurt, he could count as a large-type character too (sort of like how Waluigi and Rosalina are considered large).  I doubt we'll ever see anything like this, but I think it'd be cool.

But maybe it won't matter?  The roster size gets a little bigger with each Mario Kart game.  Maybe MK3D will be the one to go nuts and have a Brawl-sized character line-up, giving us room for all four babies and all seven Koopalings.  MKDS and MKWii pulled in some very cool oddball characters (R.O.B., Dry Bowser, Funky Kong), so I can certainly see MK3D continuing that tradition.  Hell, I kind of expect it to (to a certain extent).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 03:05:20 PM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2011, 03:07:17 PM »
Or you could copy their models from the Wii games and have like 90 characters and do practically no work
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »
I'm not that fussed over the babies, moreso that I'm wondering why the heck E. Gadd didn't have a playable appearance? He'd work perfectly as a character, his karts would be wicked awesome and he adds enough variety to the lineup to hush up the critics. Not to mention he's better than freaking Toadette. Unfortunately, since he hasn't been appearing much lately, it looks as though his time has past...

Interesting point about the classic tracks, though. How exactly would you set them out now that there are six games to choose from and (presumably) sixteen tracks to fit them in? Three each for the 3D titles and two each for SMK and SC, I guess... I just hate seeing Super Circuit shafted when it's arguably one of the best in the series. Ribbon Road and Cheese Land ftw.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2011, 10:20:26 PM »
E. Gadd actually has been confirmed to appear in Luigi's Mansion 2, plus he made an appearance in the first two Mario & Luigi games, so you never know.

As sad as it is, Super Mario Kart and Super Circuit tracks are almost certainly gonna get the short end of the deal, as they already did in MK Wii. Either Nintendo will do that method (3 for 3D tracks, 2 for 2D), or they'll give two tracks each to the first four games, then give four each to MK DS and Wii, as they haven't had as many games to make appearances as classic tracks.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 12:19:09 AM »
E. Gadd also got indirectly referenced in Sunshine, as the creator of both FLUDD AND Bowser Jr.'s magic brush.  Clearly the guy has some staying power, but we'll have to see whether that's enough to get him a spot in MK3D.  I think he'd be a good fit, but I could just as easily see him getting the shaft.  Especially if MK3D follows the precedent set by Super Circuit and MKDS: handheld Karts tend to have fewer racers than their console counterparts.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 10:56:27 AM »
Another character that I would have expected to appear as a playable character in a Mario Kart game by this point is Toadsworth. He's appeared in more games than E. Gadd, and would make sense as a racer.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2011, 11:08:14 AM »
Because of the response to my costume idea, I'll clarify. The "costumes" aren't just color swaps. (although those can be implemented) I more of imagned it like menus and submenus of characters like:
Yoshis[pic]>[Color] Yoshi[pic]

Babies[pic]>B. Mario[pic]>NES Colors[pic]
Or something like that.

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2011, 10:16:37 AM »
Oh yeah, that's what I pictured too.  I doubt we'll see that, but it'd be super cool, and would open the door to LOTS of characters.  More examples:

Koopa Troopa->Dry Bones, Parakoopa
Hammer Bro->Fire Bro, Boomerang Bro
Shy Guy->Snifit

Maybe tonight I'll finally put out my dream cast list and my estimated actual cast list.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2011, 03:12:40 PM »
Mario Kart does not need more characters, unless there are tons of tracks (the same amount as there are stages in Brawl, perhaps) vehicles (Mario Kart Wii had plenty of vehicles) to support all these characters.

They should conectrate more on making the game less like Mario Kart Wii: making it suck less and removing the babies.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2011, 03:46:14 PM »
Mario Kart Wii wasn't a bad game, I just wish Nintendo had put more effort into more game modes, like the mission mode from MKDS. That was a lot of fun, and I hope something similar returns for Mario Kart 3DS.

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2011, 03:56:21 PM »
Mario Kart Wii was awesome.  I think overall I like MKDS better, and I'll always have a special place in my heart for MK64, but MK Wii ruled.  Tricks and bikes freshened up the game a lot.  They just need to lay off the item-spamming.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
They just need to lay off the item-spamming.

YES. I don't know how many times I've been hit by powerful item chains (something like blue shell, red shell, green shell(!), red, POW, lightning, Blooper.. [based on an actual unfortunate chain]) whether I was in first or not.

MKWii isn't a bad game at all, but unless they have changed the item..thing (not the word I'm looking for), then future MK games will be more of the same (as far as items go).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print