Print

Author Topic: The Silly Mario Fan Theories Thread  (Read 188904 times)

« Reply #510 on: September 10, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »
4. Mario 3 really is "just a performance" (whatever that means, and with 'Mario All-Stars' and 'Mario Advance 4' still left unaccounted for).

YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #511 on: September 10, 2015, 12:50:50 PM »
While the curtain and the black zig-zag thingie re-appear in 'All-Stars' (and by extension 'Advance 4'), the bolted-on platforms no longer appear bolted on to anything. The thing with the suspended platforms seemed kinda nebulous to me from the beginning.

« Reply #512 on: September 10, 2015, 01:05:58 PM »
I get the feeling that it was Miyamoto's original plan, but the concept was left by the wayside as development progressed. By the last couple worlds the stage-show motif is pretty much abandoned. It seems safe to assume that very few people realized it was meant to look like a performance, so a lot of it was dropped from SMAS and SMA4.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #513 on: September 10, 2015, 05:58:45 PM »
I was thinking the idea was that Bowser breaks into the performance when he kidnaps Peach after World 7 and that's when [dukar] gets real. World 8's levels look like the end-of-level sections from before, which makes it look like the backdrops have all fallen down. The curtain still comes down after World 8, so it's still actually part of the play, but it was a bit of a fourth-wall-break to jolt the audience, kinda like that time Hooktail ate the audience. All-Stars took out the backdrop-less look of World 8, and generally went for a more realistic look in the rest of the game, but the curtains are still there at least.

I'd still really like to see a Mario game (either an SMB3 remake or a whole new thing) that focused more on making it look like a play, along the lines of Kirby and the Rainbow Curse and Yoshi's Woolly World.

"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #514 on: September 10, 2015, 06:26:23 PM »
The first two Paper Marios weren't good enough? :P

« Reply #515 on: September 10, 2015, 07:34:13 PM »
How about a game based on the stage production that Doopliss becomes involved in at the end of TTYD?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #516 on: September 10, 2015, 10:21:46 PM »
Two Paper Marios is nowhere near enough.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #517 on: September 11, 2015, 10:14:07 AM »
The first two Paper Marios weren't good enough? :P
Really only the second one tried to look like a play. The first one tried to look like a book, and it did a pretty good job of it.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #518 on: September 11, 2015, 11:37:11 AM »
The first game's intro indicates otherwise, and the battle screens kind of sort of look like a stage, only without curtains or a wooden floor.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #519 on: September 11, 2015, 09:26:08 PM »
Eh, the battles in PM1 look more like a pop-up book to me. They really only look like a stage if you project TTYD back onto it. Lack of an audience is pretty big.

« Reply #520 on: September 12, 2015, 01:08:35 AM »
If Miyamoto invented Bowser Jr. it's fairly accurate for him to consider himself Bowser Jr.'s mother, in an artist/creation sort of way.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #521 on: September 12, 2015, 08:24:00 AM »
Toru Iwatani is also referred to as "The Father of Pac-Man", so that's probably what Miyamoto meant.

« Reply #522 on: September 13, 2015, 07:49:36 PM »
How can we be sure the 'M' on his cap stands for Mario?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #523 on: September 13, 2015, 07:58:05 PM »
I always figured it stood for "More princess smooches please and thank you"
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #524 on: September 14, 2015, 07:48:46 AM »
Obviously it stands for "Man", while the 'L' on Luigi's hat stands for "Loser".

Print