Print

Author Topic: Paper Mario: Splatoon  (Read 36482 times)

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2016, 02:09:45 AM »
I hope that as more information comes out about this game that Nintendo will give me more reasons than "It's Gorgeous!" to play this game. Because it sure is gorgeous. But if I'm going to spend 50/60 on a game I should probably be looking forward to more than just the visuals.
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2016, 09:05:39 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3fa6TKWVo" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3fa6TKWVo</a>

bad-type words
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2016, 10:02:16 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzZK-LGwPz8" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzZK-LGwPz8</a>

Same warning as above.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 07:28:34 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR11d5I-5RQ" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR11d5I-5RQ</a>

Mario & Luigi is supposed to be the replacement goldfish for Paper Mario?

Pity M&L hasn't been any good since the original, then
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2016, 09:43:03 PM »
I liked Dream Team, though that was largely because I played it right after Sticker Star, and I was like "Ooh look! Dialogue! Characters! Lore! Returning characters and species from previous games in the series!" and probably kind of overlooked all the issues with it. Paper Jam looks really boring from the Let's Play I've been watching of it.

I think somewhere else in the Tabata interview she said that since M&L is the RPG series now, PM is gonna focus more on "humor and puzzle-solving"... which, like, isn't that what M&L does? I mean, Superstar Saga was pretty much a straight-up comedy -- all the towns/races are named after onomatopoeias for laughing -- and the entire overworld gameplay of M&L (aside from the minigames and the battles (which are basically minigames now)) is getting new Bros moves that let you solve puzzles to move to new areas -- there's no fetch quests or "hunt 5 Goombas" quests or key-item-dialogue-tree-trading-quest things. They've actually made the two series more similar (especially since the most recent M&L has no original characters).

You can make a Paper Mario game that's not an RPG. You don't need stats and experience points and turn-based battles, you just need Goombas that go to college. If they think they can only have one series that's technically in the JRPG genre, okay, whatever, but if by that they also mean they can only have one series with overworlds and named characters, then why even bother still making games called Paper Mario? I just don't understand what role Paper Mario is supposed to fill now.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:47:13 PM by CrossEyed7 »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2016, 03:42:52 PM »
This is actually a pretty similar phenomenon with what happened to the 3D titles over time.  After 64 and Sunshine, SMG and especially SMG2 started trying harder to make each stage work like a level from the 2D games.  Culminated in 3D Land where they stopped even trying to pretend that they wanted 3D games to be any different in essence from the sidescrollers. 

And it's not like 3D Land and its successors were unenjoyable or badly designed in and of themselves.  It's that you start remembering that those other parts of the 3D titles - the openness of a main hub, the "choose your order" for tackling stage goals, the many possible approaches and paths in each stage - those parts seem to be destined never to return. 

And it's not like they couldn't put out an open, SM64-style 3D game alongside a more linear one.  It's that Nintendo actually seems to think they're scratching that itch already just by adding a Z Axis, conflating that with the non-linearity that happened to accompany it earlier on.  Just like they think they're satisfying the Paper Mario fans by simply making another game with the paper aesthetic and visual gimmicks, believing it was just the art style that people liked - not the depth of characters (heh) and mechanics and world building from the earlier games.  Also illustrated by their answering fan demand for another Metroid Prime... with Federation Force

Ironically, given this refusal to acknowledge the series' pasts, their adherence to prior formula is what's really hurting them the most right now.  They're hitting all the right notes (they seemingly believe) that came before while stripping out the accidental (I increasingly believe) quirks. 

But it's kind of like that one episode of Arthur where the whole gang bakes these amazing cookies to help Muffy win a contest.  As they make them, it's clearly just off-the-cuff fun, each character contributing something to the mixture, and the result is as inadvertent as it is tasty.  When the cookies are a big hit and she tries to recreate them by herself, based on her own incomplete knowledge of what made them good in the first place, they're terrible.  They were only ever good because of the quirks and flavors (i.e., "unnecessary fluff") inserted as part of the act of initial creation. 

With Paper Mario, creation is no longer what is occurring; rather, it's just an attempt at recreation.  Following a recipe which they only think they've committed to memory, but losing sight of the ingredients that made the first batch delicious.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2016, 07:13:15 PM »
Yeah, it's an awkward feeling, playing the "New"/"3D" games (or at least trying to explain how I feel about them) -- they're fun, and polished, like a Nintendo game almost always incomparably is, but the imagination is... well, not gone, but definitely tempered.

In any case, yeah, this seemingly growing gap between what they apparently think their audience wants and what they deliver is bizarre, especially in this social media-mad, always-connected era. Obviously, they don't have to listen to what "we" want, but it's definitely impossible to ignore now.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »
What's really frustrating is when they make a crappy game, the fans hate it, and then they say "This franchise isn't popular anymore, better end it."

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2016, 05:49:21 PM »
Does that actually happen, though? The two things I always see that applied to are Metroid and Paper Mario, but those series are still (technically) alive.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
I think it's more of a fear for the future than an established precedent, though perhaps not entirely unfounded.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2016, 10:51:20 PM »
Star Fox lay dormant for a decade.

I'll be surprised if we ever see another Chibi Robo after that infuriatingly slow-paced sidescroller got middling reviews. Fun fact, Zip Lash doesn't even have its own Wikipedia article. Instead it's relegated to a three-sentence subsection of the entry about the whole series.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2016, 07:29:38 AM »
Ouch. Yeah, that was a series that didn't get the follow-ups it deserved. Chibi-Robo is a bona fide sleeper hit in my book, but I heard that DS sequel (which was exclusive to Wal-Mart for no apparent reason) was lacking, and now Zip Lash isn't even worth a bullet point.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2016, 12:32:10 PM »
It's Wikipedia. Either of you could give it a page if you wanted.

Zip Lash wasn't great-tier, but it wasn't disagreeable. I wouldn't recommend someone go buy it but I also wouldn't feel bad for them if they received it as a gift.
You can't hold the slow-pacedness against it; that's kind of Chibi-Robo's thing. It was a game about scrubbing the floor with a toothbrush. The platformer is actually a nonstop thrillride in comparison.

The important part about Zip Lash was actually the amiibo. It's my favorite one!

« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2016, 03:52:20 PM »
The pacing worked great for the original, but Zip Lash made me want to bash my head against a wall.

That said, the Amiibo is indeed one of the best ever.

« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2016, 12:45:27 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agkV28jRnJ8" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agkV28jRnJ8</a>

Are these actual characters? There's still some hope for the game yet, even if the actual gameplay is completely screwed.

Print