Print

Author Topic: "I hate that singing tape."  (Read 7552 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 03:34:06 PM »
I still think the name was changed because Yoshi's Story was kind of technically Yoshi's Island 2, but if they called it Yoshi's Island 3, they'd confuse most people and **** off the few that got that they were acknowledging Yoshi's Story (I actually liked YS, though). The only thing I didn't like about it was the baby-switching. Same thing as SM64DS; throwing in arbitrary obstacles and gimmicks just to force you to switch between characters. If each level was just one baby (and most of them were Mario), it would have been good. Also Luigi should have been playable.

Well, carryable, actually. You're really playing as the Yoshis, not the babies.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
YIDS's graphics seem to have sacrificed its predecessor's squiggly, hand-drawn charm for clarity, which we can all agree sucks.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
I liked the two-screen levels (and the ability to shift the top and bottom screens, even if it usually resulted in one screen being nothing but sky or dirt), though, and I can't recall "the gap" actually causing me much strife.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 06:33:04 PM »
I thought Yoshi's Island DS was good, just not very good.  I think some of the reason people say YI DS wasn't good was because YI SNES was so very good, and some people may also be prejudiced based on who made the game. 

I agree, but in all honesty, Yoshi's Island DS is probably one of the best semi-sequels to a game that a third party developer ever made. Seriously. It may not be THE YS2, but it can definitely pass itself off. It's pretty hardcore. Though, it is difficult (in a good way, seriously, there aren't many difficult games). I never did manage to beat the last level, but it is a great, well-made game. If you haven't played the first, you should play it.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 06:36:18 PM »
I actually wrote a review for YIDS on my LiveJournal at one point. I may have to dig that up.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 01:23:19 AM »
This thread reminds me of something my mom said when MarioKart 64 first came out.

She picked me up from school the day after we got the Nintendo 64 and told me that she had been playing MarioKart 64 all day (no surprise since my mom has always been a video gamer, going all the way back to pong). When I asked how she did, she said she did fine but lost one of the races to "some guy who says 'ribbit' whenever he passes you".

To this day my mom still calls Donkey Kong "the ribbit guy" whenever she plays MarioKart 64 despite knowing now that it's Donkey Kong (which I guess she couldn't tell from behind him in MK64--I'm pretty sure she knew who DK was long before the N64 thanks to the arcade game).

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 02:44:41 AM »
I completely forgot that Yoshi's Island DS existed, and furthermore that I owned it. Thanks for reminding me. I'm gonna start playing again for sure.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Print