Print

Author Topic: E3 Thread: 2015 Edition  (Read 19700 times)

« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2015, 05:26:55 PM »
Man. When Mario plays tennis no one bats an eye but if Galactic Federation soldiers play soccer everybody freaks the **** out.

At least Mario's spinoffs feature identifiable Mario characters and locations. Federation Force is as much a Metroid game as it is a Mario or Zelda game. Plus, it just looks poor all-around. One of my favourite comments:

"Nice to see they're still making games for the DS"
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2015, 06:19:57 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2015, 06:35:35 PM »
You don't really get the privilege of thinking like that... when your job depends on people liking what you've made enough, against all context, to want to buy it
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2015, 07:19:21 PM »
CrossEyed just reminded me: I hope this isn't the last we see of the Nintendo puppet pals.

« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2015, 08:51:11 PM »
Reggie puppet is not allowed to dance until NOA publishes Rhythm Heaven: The Best Plus. Proven haters of music should not be depicted dancing in puppet form.

« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »
Looks like they're on the floor:

Iwata's response when asked about US release of Rhythm Heaven: The Best Plus
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:50:10 PM by Lizard Dude »

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2015, 12:57:00 AM »
Looking at the neoGAF thread from immediately after the conference is making me LOL my butt off:

I invited a friend of mine who used to be a Nintendo fan to watch this with me. I felt like I was inviting her to see this mutual friend of us she doesn't hang out with nowadays, and I tried to rekindle the friendship, telling her he's a very cool, funny guy...and he shows up drunk out of his mind in his Mario themed underwear.

I think, I will never ever buy anything Nintendo again. And I have been a loyal fan up to the Wii.

You people remind me of a beaten housewife coming back for more again and again.

The party is over, people, go home.

I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell.

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2015, 01:22:08 AM »
That last one deserves a Tony Award.

From YouTube:

Animal Crossing could only look on in horror as Metroid fell to the ground, crumpled in a bloody heap. Nintendo turned toward the former, calmly loading two more shells into the shotgun it held, then asked "So, do you like board games?"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2015, 01:48:55 AM »
Nothing to really be upset about... good games come out all the time, more good games than anyone could ever play exist and are readily available... and often for less than new console games sell for...

I'm saying I have a huge backlog on Steam alone. If very little Nintendo is making looks appealing, that's nothing to throw a fit about. You can disapprove and explain why, but you're not a victim. Just play something else.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2015, 09:28:37 AM »
Not keeping up with the livestreams (or Muppets) by the second probably cushioned the blow, but I didn't feel like this was *that* disappointing of a show. I mean, don't get me wrong, Three Swords and Animal Crossing Whatever might as well be pieces of cardboard with "obligatory 'social' spinoff" written on the front, and FF has the reek of a B-side IP concept getting transfused into a dying franchise, but it's not, say, E3 2008-level unspeakable. Star Fox Zero looks promising, I'm reserving judgment on Mario Maker, and Paper Jam should be great so long as it leans more toward Dream Team than Sticker Star.

But cards on the table, Sony was killin' it for the first time in recent memory.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2015, 09:36:23 AM »
I really don't understand why people hated Nintendo's conference. It was more disappointing than anything, and sometimes I don't even think it was that.
Also Triforce Heroes is better than Four Swords, because at least you don't NEED to have any nearby friends, and possibly any friends in general. Weegee is in luck.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »
What did they think was gonna happen? Did they think FF would satisfy people asking for a new Metroid? Well, why would it? It's something completely different wearing the name. Did they think it would make the Splatoon lightning strike a second time? Well, why would it? Splatoon instantly looked fun and had great character designs that fit the theme to boot, and this looks... really pretty boring and half-assed, like the game made itself on autopilot.
It's also worth noting that Splatoon has the luxury of being a brand-new IP with freedom to look and feel however it wants.  With FF, it's not even so much an issue of the quality of the game itself (which is still in development), and more that they developed a generic co-op shooter in space and then decided to slap on a Metroid sticker due to the power of branding

I maintain Sunshine would've been much much better as its own new IP without Mario.
Exactly, just replace "Sunshine" with "FF" and "Mario" with Metroid.

People joke about how they'd rather have Other M than this, but I think there's some validity to that sentiment.  There were a lot of things about it that infamously did not work, but visually it was very good and atmospherically (aside from the soundtrack's thing it did where it forgot to exist) it still did.  Sure, there are brighter counterparts to the grim and grit of the likes of Super Metroid, but even the brightest Metroid titles knew that it was about being heroic, not generically goofy.  The thing about adapting Mario to play sports, or even doing a 180 on the Zelda aesthetic in Wind Waker following OoT, is that those franchises have always been oriented toward a good degree of whimsy (OoT was actually the exception to this at the time, and that's when it didn't still follow the same rules).  And that's not bad!  In fact, it's a desperately needed influence in this decade's video game industry.  But Metroid has always been a bit different.  Alien, if you will.  It had subtle and consistent characterization.  It had continuity and an established chronology, something that Zelda fans were still dreaming of until well after Metroid had lived and died under the weight of those things.  Super Metroid provided the "Metroid" years ahead of SotN's providing the "vania" - could anyone even imagine a first party Nintendo game's being even remotely comparable to SotN in today's market?

It's Metroid. You can't have fun when you play Metroid.
But I think this is really the root ideology behind this game that's made people so angry: "fun" is always cartoony and silly.  It's almost an equal and opposite to the idea that you can't take a game seriously unless it's a FPS as brown as dog poop.  Like somehow people who prefer dark or deep games, or people who play games competitively, just have less appreciation for "fun."
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
Exactly, just replace "Sunshine" with "FF" and "Mario" with Metroid.

Not exactly, because Sunshine's problem is that it can't decide whether it wants to be a follow-up to SM64 or something new, and fails at both.
It's YOUR problem!

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2015, 01:19:41 PM »
That's fair; FF has already decided it definitely doesn't want anything to do with Metroid in any way.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »

Print