Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart 3DS Casting Call!  (Read 55760 times)

« on: June 03, 2011, 02:24:45 PM »
So I've had Mario Kart on the brain for the last week or so.  Maybe it's because E3 is coming up, where we'll (hopefully) get some more info on MK3DS.  Maybe it's because I had a blast playing with MKWii with my bro-in-law over Memorial Day.  Whatever it is, I want to talk Mario Kart, so I've come back to a board I haven't touched in years. 

In this thread, let's talk about which characters you'd like to see come back, which new characters you'd like to see behind the wheel, and which characters you want left in the dust. 

I love how much the character roster has grown over the years.  I've been playing Mario Kart games since the first one came out waaaay back in 1992, and I've been in love since.  The first few games stuck with 8 characters, but that roster has blossomed a TON, and it's always exciting to see new faces and returning favorites. 

Let's use MKWii's cast as a base.  From there I'd...

Subtract the babies.  All the babies  God I hate the babies.  Babies can't drive cars.  What are they doing here?  Did Mario and Luigi start families?  Did the babies time travel?  Who changes their [dukar]ty diapers?

Add Kamek Kamek rules, and came thiiiiis close to being in MK64.  It bummed me out when I heard about this, just because HOW many MK games have come and gone since 64, and he STILL hasn't been in one?  Come on Nintendo!

Maybe add Hammer Bro There's beta data in MKWii that suggests the Hammer Bro may have been considered as a playable character.  I say bring 'im on!  They are one of my favorite baddies, and I feel like they're getting kind of rare over the years.  Though with Koopa Troopa and Kamek already (hopefully) in the mix, he may be kind of redundant.  Koopa Troopa gets a free pass because he's a classic (and was MIA for SO long)

Add The Koopa Kids Love these little brats.  Maybe not all 7, but maybe four of them, to fill the void left by the stupid, stupid babies.  OR  maybe there can be two or three "clusters" of Koopa Kids... a bunch of the little monsters pile onto one kart, refusing to wear seatbelts or follow any kind of safety regulations, jeering at other karts as they pass.  Yeah, I like that. 

I'll have more on this later, but what about you?  Who do YOU want?
Haters gonna hate

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 05:42:55 PM »
1. More of the WarioWare cast. Donkey Kong already has his outside cast in there, but not Wario? I'd settle for just Mona, but you can't deny 9-Volt and Jimmy would make great additions along with other characters who actually drive vehicles, like Dribble, Penny and Orbulon.

2. Chargin' Chuck. I dunno, this is one enemy drone from SMW that still has yet to appear anywhere else. He could be the new Dry Bones.

3. Professor E. Gadd. You know he'd have an awesome car.

4. Captain Syrup. Not only is she one of Wario's archenemies, she's also a girl that isn't a princess or a generic human athlete.

5. Mouser. People often mention Wart but I'd settle for Mouser since he's the only SMB2 boss besides Birdo that has functional arms and legs. Plus he looks pretty unique as far as Mario characters go.

6. Some of the RPG cast. The Paper Mario party members in particular would do well to replace the generic enemy drones. Wouldn't you rather play as Kooper or Koops than some random green Koopa Troopa? I also know plenty of people out there who would love to play as the likes of Fawful or Popple.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 09:14:35 PM »
E. Gadd, Poochy, Lubba, Chargin' Chuck, Mona, and Jimmy T. quickly moonwalking around the track
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 12:21:47 AM »
Toad, Koopa Troopa, Toadette, Dry Bones.
Peach, Yoshi, Daisy, E. Gadd.
Mario, Luigi, Hammer Bro. Diddy Kong.
Waluigi, Bowser Jr., Birdo, Kamek.
Bowser, DK, Wario (WW outfit), King Boo.

12 characters with eight unlockables, somewhat evenly distributed amongst the different weight classes. Honestly, I don't think we need more than 20 characters. This is Mario Kart, not Street Fighter... the babies and Dry Bowser are stupid, Rosalina is too awesome to be reduced to a Mario Kart character (have her flying around Rainbow Road with Luma or something?), Funky Kong is cool but doesn't really belong.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 01:48:27 AM »
This is Mario Kart, not Street Fighter...

All the more reason to have more characters--you don't worry so much about trying to balance a racing game, especially not Mario Kart.

Setting the limit back to eight entrants to a grand prix would be pleasant though
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 02:03:15 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the babies su-su-su-suuuuuuuuck.

I really like how the Mario Kartniverse has reached into the DKniverse for Diddy and Funky.  Funky adds a lot of personality to the roster.  I wouldn't mind seeing K. Rool or Dixie join in too.

In that same vein, I'd LOOOOOVE to see Wario Ware characters break in too.  I agree that Mona is probably the best choice if we can only pick one WW character, but that whole cast is ripe with fun weirdos.  If Mona makes the cut and bikes are coming back, her trademark scooter should definitely be available. 

They're so obscure, but I do think it'd be super fun to see Wart or Tatanga join up too.  A big royal frog and a space invader would definitely add some flavor to the line-up.  Mouser is good choice too, for sure. 

If we had to lose King Boo as a playable character in order to get the Boo item back, I'd be okay with that.  Especially since then King Boo could make a big splashy appearance in the Ghost House/Luigi's Mansion track.

I would be pretty happy to see Bowser Jr. go.  Other than the babies he's my least favorite Mario character.  I have a feeling we're stuck with him for a while though. 

And even though Diddy Kong makes him redundant, I'd love to see DK Jr. come back.  He was there for the very first Mario Kart, but we haven't seen him since!  It was nice to see him again in Mario Tennis on the N64, but he's definitely another long shot (though probably more likely than Tatanga or Wart).

E. Gadd would make a lot of sense, but I feel like since he wasn't in Double Dash or MKDS, his chances of showing up now are pretty slim.  His window may have closed, sadly.  Unless he makes another appearance in a major Mario game...
Haters gonna hate

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 02:41:11 PM »
I still don't get the hate for the babies.

There are no characters I want removed. Except maybe King Boo, since they refuse to give him his Luigi's Mansion color scheme and instead make him just a Boo with a crown.

Bring in all the Wario and WarioWare characters, all the Kong characters, all the Koopalings, everyone from all the RPGs, and Wachibi and Watuna.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 04:17:12 PM »
I don't mind Baby Mario, but things are getting a little out-of-hand with them, like it won't stop until everybody has their infant copy going around

Also, off the topic of Mario Kart, I have a strong desire for a good Yoshi game that doesn't involve them. Not that YIDS was very good, but you know what I'm talking about, it just seems like someone whose first name is Baby will be involved if Yoshi gets his own game
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
Baby Dry Bones, anyone?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »
Dry Dry Bones.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 04:50:39 PM »
Dark Baby Dry Dry Bones-ette.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »
Dry Baby Waluigi.

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 05:36:47 PM »
Baby Dry Bones would like... an egg right?  A dead egg?  Ha, like a fried egg?  That might be kind of adorable. 
Haters gonna hate

CrossEyed7

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 05:41:57 PM »
I would not be opposed to adding a Yoshi Egg as a playable character.

Especially if it had the baby yellow Yoshi from Tetris Attack inside of it.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 05:52:15 PM »
Wow, I had that exact same idea 10 years ago. 0_o

Glad to see I'm not the only fan of Lil' Yoshi around here. :P

Print