Print

Author Topic: Party Like It's 1985: NES Classic Edition This Fall, with Most NES Mario Titles  (Read 7178 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: July 14, 2016, 07:20:04 PM »
Nintendo will be releasing the NES Classic Edition on November 11, 2016.  The $59.99 plug-and-play unit resembles a miniature NES, contains 30 classic NES games, and comes with a single NES-style controller.  Additional controllers will be sold for $9.99, and are interchangeable with Wii and Wii U Classic controllers.  The NES Classic Edition comes with an HDMI cable and a USB AC adapter.

The thirty included games are a mixture of first and third party titles:

Mario & Donkey Kong Titles:
Donkey Kong
Donkey Kong Jr.
Dr. Mario
Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario Bros. 2
Super Mario Bros. 3

Other Nintendo Titles:
Balloon Fight
Excitebike
Ice Climber
Kid Icarus
Kirby's Adventure
Metroid
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream
StarTropics
The Legend of Zelda
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

Third Party Titles:
Bubble Bobble
Castlevania
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest
Double Dragon II: The Revenge
Final Fantasy
Galaga
Ghost'n Goblins
Gradius
Mega Man 2
Ninja Gaiden
Pac-Man
Super C
Tecmo Bowl

Link: Nintendo.com NES Classic Edition
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 10:53:40 AM by Deezer »
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 08:09:39 PM »
I wonder about the possibilities of modding a cartridge slot in there. A NES with an HDMI port is something I've wanted for a while, and this might just be the way to get it.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 08:38:15 PM »
Oh, this is good!

And why start there? Why not give the Game Boy the chance to show itself to the new generation as well?

It should have the functions of a Game Boy Pocket, a Game Boy Light, & a Super Game boy, all in one! Playable, comfortable, & useable, with up to 20 Game Boy Titles included!

It could also have a Game & Watch collection included as well. Probably.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 09:34:16 PM »
I wanna know what's inside of them. I'm thinking they had a lot of Wii Minis left over and they're reusing those. If that's the case, they could make a mini SNES, N64, and Gamecube too.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 04:59:04 PM »
I can't believe StarTropics made the list.  XD XD

I wonder about the possibilities of modding a cartridge slot in there. A NES with an HDMI port is something I've wanted for a while, and this might just be the way to get it.
No. It won't have any of the guts of an NES. This is just like a pre-loaded Virtual Console machine. But several companies do make machines that play NES cartridges through HDMI (RetroN 5, Analogue Nt) or more complicated HDMI mods to original NES consoles (Hi-Def NES).

I wonder if these things will be able to connect to the internet to buy DLC or even access the full VC store. It's possible, but I'm guessing NOT to keep both their manufacturing costs and complexity down. Anyone who would care that much probably long ago bought into the Wii/Wii U VC. This is an impulse buy product for total n00bs. But maybe they'll want to lure those in and then sell them DLC. I dunno.

The real gem here is the Wii-compatible NES controllers. I have no use for the full product but will insta-buy two controllers.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 05:25:22 PM »
I'm kind of annoyed that we didn't get those controllers ten years ago when the Wii, and by extension the Virtual Console itself launched.

Print