Print

Author Topic: Wii homebrew; Success!  (Read 2674 times)

« on: December 29, 2007, 10:52:08 PM »
Some delicious copypasta from other boards:
OH **** THEY ACTUALLY DID IT
The guys over at 24C3 just demoed a Wii hack that is set to provide native Wii
    homebrew in the near future (not running in GC mode, and with full access to all the Wii hardware!)

They were able to find encryption and decryption keys by doing full memory
    dumps at runtime over a custom serial interface. Using these keys, they were
    able to create a Wii ‘game’ that ran their own code (their demo happened to show live sensor/Wiimote information, amongst a few other things).
Video proof

So, to summarize: Yes, RSA is still not very possible to crack, but if you can get the keys, then there's no need to break the encryption!

Also, Nintendo can't "fix" this without breaking a lot of older games.  So this looks like a catch-all solution, folks!  Expect things like an Action Replay in the future!

So yeah, except some crazy new Wii homebrews to come and go soon enough. :>
I can only imagine Virtual Boy emulation on a Wii.. Heck yes.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:59:22 PM »
I'm trying to understand why that would be good. Anyway I already knew about this but I guess no one else has posted it on this board yet.
That was a joke.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 06:55:12 AM »
When I saw this I just thought of Wii piracy becoming more proliferated.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 12:08:45 PM »
Cracking systems is good because it allows homebrew. I don't know how much more piracy there will really be, but I don't know how to say either.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 09:06:55 PM »
I hope this leads to more Johnny Chung Lee projects:  http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~johnny/projects/wii/
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 04:17:49 PM »
When I saw this I just thought of Wii piracy becoming more proliferated.
The thing is, prior to this you, could only run pirated games.  Now you can run homebrew.  What people aren't realizing is that this demonstration required a modchipped Wii in the first place.

Print