Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart 3DS Casting Call!  (Read 55679 times)

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 04:50:28 PM »
If the demos of Mario Kart 3DS are accurate to how the final game will be, then Nintendo has toned down the item-spamming. In the demos, blue shells were rarely seen (I watched three videos and didn't see one, though I read somewhere that they are in the demos), and the people racing were never unfairly hit with an excess of items, so there is hope that MK3DS has changed this element for the better.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 08:55:55 PM »
Yeah, definitely. The four extra racers thing was neither here nor there, and the crappiness of the new characters could be easily ignored, but I think what definitely sunk MKW for me was completely giving the finger to skill with the ridiculous amount of lead-killing items, chained or not.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2011, 07:11:22 AM »
Blue shells are one of the reasons I "retired" from playing MKW alone.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2011, 09:22:19 AM »
Yeah, I've had to go through MKWii and unlock everything again and there's a special kind of rage triggered by getting hammered with five items in a row.  It feels like the game is punishing you for racing well.  I'd rather have the racers get better AI in higher difficulties than get blasted with [dukar] over and over again.

I don't know if this is nostalgia goggles, but I feel like the handheld Mario Karts are a little more focused on racing and a little less and item barrages.  The reintroduction of coins really backs this up too. 

Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2011, 09:37:05 AM »
I gave MKW away and haven't missed it. I have played it with a friend since then but was simply reminded why I got rid of it in the first place.

Double Dash is still my favorite.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2011, 09:53:45 AM »
MKDS's single-player Battle mode gives it a special place in my heart.

That reminds me, what are the chances of ROB returning for MK3DS?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 11:38:05 AM »
I wonder if we'll see ROB in MK3D.  I wouldn't mind him coming back, but I wonder if his role in Smash Bros. Brawl has established him as a non-Mario character.  I could see it going either way. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
I kind of hope not, since this is Mario Kart. ROB would take the place of another Mario character who could be in the game.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2011, 01:14:57 PM »
but I wonder if his role in Smash Bros. Brawl has established him as a non-Mario character. 

He was never a Mario character in the first place.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
That reminds me, Commodore Jim and I were discussing the potential a crossover Capcom racer in the vein of Sega All-Stars Racing would have (Mega Man on Rush, Ken and Ryu in Ken's car, Viewtiful Joe in the Six Machine, Phoenix Wright on a bicycle and Apollo Justice in a noodle stand, Frank West in a Uranus Zone golf cart, Mike Haggar, Cody and Guy in a car that they destroy when they win (oh my car))

and I got to thinking of what it would be like if Mario Kart DID expand to become a Nintendo crossover. Link and Epona. Samus in a miniaturized version of her starship. Little Mac running in his pink jumpsuit, Doc Louis on Mac's bike. Red on a Doduo. Lucas in a Pork Bean or on a Mr. Saturn table.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2011, 12:04:46 AM »
I think Mario Kart should just stay Mario Kart, meaning no characters from any other Nintendo universe. In any case, I'm pretty excited for this game.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2011, 11:10:12 AM »
Yeah, as neat as Smash Kart would be, I don't think we'll ever see it happen.  Mario Kart's a lucrative franchise, and Nintendo won't cannibalize it with a similar game.  Other than the occasional reference to other series (playable R.O.B. in MKDS and a mini Blue Falcon-kart in Wii) MK3D is likely to stay strictly Mario universe, as has the entire franchise up til now.

Which gets kind of a mixed reaction from me.  I love the Mario universe and I love that MK has stayed squarely focused in the Mario universe... but at the same time, I love pretty much the whole, broader Nintendo universe.  Smash Bros. has shown that wildly different Nintendo series can interact with each other in a fun way, and the thought of Mario, Samus, Link and Pikachu racing each other through Corneria City under attack from Andross' forces is pretty [darn] awesome.  Just some fun food for thought.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:12:43 AM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2011, 12:49:37 PM »
Smash 4 should have a kart-racing mode instead of a Subspace Emissary.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2011, 03:56:31 PM »
Is that plausible though?  The Smash Bros. games are huge: huge roster, huge level selection, and essentially countless trophies/stickers/whatever.  Smash 4 might not have *more* content than Brawl, but it's still expected to have a ****ton, plus rebalancing returning characters/balancing new ones.  I guess what I'm getting at is either:

-A small amount of development would go towards Smash Kart, giving us a half-baked racing experience or one that's very light on content. 
Or
-A large amount of development would go towards Smash Kart, and the main modes suffer. 

I think replacing Subspace Emissary with karting is a nice idea, but I'm betting the reason we got SE at all was because it worked pretty much the same as the main modes of play, whereas Smash Kart would be NOTHING like the main modes.  So while SE was like developing an alternate mode within Smash Bros., Smash-Kart would be like developing an entirely different game... one that would eat up development resources that could/should be going towards the "real" Smash Bros, and one that would essentially compete with Nintendo's own Mario Kart.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:14:59 AM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2011, 09:29:14 PM »
Er...I think CrossEyed was kidding.

Print