Print

Author Topic: Mario's Tennis: Birdo...?  (Read 4004 times)

« on: April 07, 2007, 12:04:35 PM »
So after playing and watching some offsets of Mario's Tennis for the Virtual Boy, I made a rather fascinating discovery. Take a look at the character select screen here:

(Pardon the glitches, the emulator is incomplete.)

However, when in comparison to its hexadecimal equivalent, there's a notable string.
Starting from 0x7D694, there's a list of character names, all in the same order; Mario, Luigi, Princess, Yoshi, Toad, Koopa and DK. There's an extra name at the right, Cassarin, which apparently translates to Birdo. (Thanks, Chup)

What might this mean? I've read some FAQs and I see no mention of this "Cassarin", or Birdo for that matter at all.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 12:20:52 PM »
dun Dun DUN

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:06:03 PM »
Maybe Birdo was gonna be playable at some point. I mean, she did show up in Wario's Woods around that part of the Mario franchise's life.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 07:54:45 PM »
Interesting.

It's also interesting to note that Virtual Boy Mario Tennis is one of the only Mario spinoffs that doesn't have an even number of characters playable (it is the only one, if memory serves correctly..) heh.. serves.. it's a pun.

There were only the seven characters, and I've always assumed they just left out Bowser (who is normally one of the eight characters) because he would have been too big for Tennis (at least on the VB, due to the camera angle).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:24:29 AM »
Cool.
I've always been interested in weird little things like this (i.e. beta characters/objects/items still being in final versions of games, etc.).
~TMK''s resident mute~

Matty_G33

• Banned
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 11:34:13 PM »
There's always stuff like this, such as that time that someone found some
unused sprites of Crocomire (or whatever it's name is) in a Metroid: Zero Mission
ROM...

UPDATE: You can find the sprite sheet in the website "The Shyguy Kingdom", a site that has free sprites (you do have to credit the site if used). It has the sheet if you look up Metroid: Zero Mission.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 03:12:09 AM by Matty_G33 »
Yo, I'm Matty Underscore G Thirty-Three!
And I need a freaking clue...

Print