Print

Author Topic: A Lookback on the Noki Bay book [56K]  (Read 14398 times)

« on: December 26, 2008, 09:07:42 PM »
Many of you are probably aware of the infamous Book in the Bottle, and have probably seen it yourself, too.
A friend of mine and I have recently looked to the insides of the game and extracted several model files, from which one is the Bottle scene. Thought you might be interested on some imagery of the book and how it really looks like. Below is the unnecessary huge animated GIF which shows un-rendered scenes of our journey to retrieve the book.

Here's the link to a video that observes the book more closely. For those who can't view them MP4s, here's an image.

No text or title whatsoever. Oh well.
Special thanks to Peardian for converting the original model to a readable format!

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2008, 09:37:50 PM »
Amazing. You never fail to impress me, Raccoon Sam.

Any other info, like the file name or anything? (Though, it's probably just something general like "book" >_>"

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 07:25:32 AM »
The object was —strangely enough— nameless and included with the level object itself. Usually levels are very plain and the sub-objects like coins, people and palmtrees are imported in afterwards. The book is also the same object as the door; you can't move the door without moving the book.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 08:35:45 AM »
Very interesting.  Actually, I had no idea there was any book in that level at all...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 12:34:14 PM »
Amazing.I never even knew there was a book in that level.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »
Amazing.I never even knew there was a book in that level.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 05:14:34 PM »
The object was —strangely enough— nameless and included with the level object itself. Usually levels are very plain and the sub-objects like coins, people and palmtrees are imported in afterwards. The book is also the same object as the door; you can't move the door without moving the book.

Yeah, that is strange considering it's a separate object, I assume.

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 02:42:01 AM »
The doors shape kinda looks like the door for Super Mario Bros. 2 (US version).
The book...maybe it belonged to the old Noki guy. Or maybe it was for a Blooper? Oh! Wait a sec! Do you think that's the same book Rosalina had? And they turned it into a mini story in Super Mario Galaxy? Aarhgh! I need answers!
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 08:11:30 AM »
I want to say that maybe the idea of cliff-dwelling Nokis was dumped and that was going to be just some house (with a table and chair and all).

That being said, very impressive, um, game-gut searching! (the actual word escapes me)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 05:21:31 PM »
Incredible. The rumors are debunked!

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 07:44:42 PM »
The video's down.

Shame, I really wanted to see this.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »
I can find the button to post a new topic :-(
So please re-post this for me

I have created to most complete SMB conversion for DOOM. It will require Edge (links at bottom) and a copy of Doom.wad

This WAD will replace ALL textures, sprites, graphics, enemies, weapons and sounds with ones from the best Mario games.

If anyone is interested in making levels for this, let me know. Also, it would be a great deal of help, and add to the legitimate Mario atmosphere if I could send someone the midis to be converted to .mus

Well, here it is, check out!
Link for Edge program: http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=edge&filename=Edge-1.31-win32.zip&use_mirror=superb-east

Link for Mario WAD file: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vkzxrmwmmj3/Doomed%20Super%20Mario.zip

Please play through enough levels before commenting back! Thanks!, using DOOM.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vkzxr...Super Mario.zip

Once you download these, extract them, and place your Doom.wad and Mario.wad in the edge folder. Then simply drag Mario.wad into the edge executable.

Please play through enough levels before commenting back! Thanks!

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
New Members can't make topics until after a while.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 10:58:52 PM »
hey, has anyone been able to find the whomp sound effect anywhere. i have looked everywhere and i have come up empty handed.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 03:09:16 AM »
A request once, in even a slightly relevant topic, would've been far more effective; but, regardless, I think this sound pack might be helpful, assuming you're looking for the SM64 voice.

Also, it truly is amazing how much effort people put in to find such discoveries in games; and I'm thankful they do, for the sake of our sanity. xP Great job finding it, btw!
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Print