Print

Author Topic: Should we consider Skylanders SuperChargers a Mario spin-off?  (Read 12317 times)

« on: July 03, 2015, 03:01:43 PM »
Hi!

I would like to know... If you want every Mario games (like me) from NES to Wii U, should you buy Skylanders SuperChargers since Bowser and Donkey Kong are playable?
Is this game kind of a crossover? A spin off? Or is it only a cameo?

Is Super Smash Bros. considered to be a Mario game?
What about Tetris DS?

In other words...
What does make a game a Mario game?

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »
Now that I think about it, this is actually a decent topic.
As for my answer, I'd probably say a game that mainly features Mario characters, and if there's a plot, said plot heavily focuses on the Mario crew.
Smash wouldn't be one because though it has a decent amount of Mario characters, they aren't really the only featured characters. And in the one game that had a plot, Mario was just kinda... there. He was just as much as a driving force as Kirby or Link.
And SuperChargers is most definitely a cameo.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 04:50:14 PM »
Spin-off: spun-off of something. Like when you have an unfunny sitcom and make another unfunny sitcom about some recurring background characters. Or when you make a kart-racing game with aesthetics and tone borrowed from a platforming series. Typically a spin-off is only really a spin-off if set in the same world with the same canon (barring an AU).

Crossover: The properties meeting have proportional representation. Mostly. You may just forget to include the titular character of your most mega-iconic franchise now and again. Oops.

Guest appearance: Yoda fights the soulcalibur people
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 04:54:24 PM by BP »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 06:13:48 AM »
Yeah, I would say it's about as much of a Mario game as all those realistic sports games he awkwardly appeared in on the GameCube.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
Don't hate, bro.

YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2015, 09:59:36 AM »
It's as much as a Mario spin-off as SoulCalibur II is a Zelda spin-off.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 02:21:02 PM »
Yeah, I would say it's about as much of a Mario game as all those realistic sports games he awkwardly appeared in on the GameCube.

Yeah, thinking about it, that makes sens...
I don't buy game in which Mario only makes a cameo (SimCity, Punch-Out!!).
But when Mario (or in this case Bowser or DK) is on the boxart, it's kind of a Mario game to me.

But I will probably buy this game (on Wii, Wii U and 3DS) when they will be very very cheap since I have almost every games where Mario is playable (including NBA Street V3, SSX On Tour, Smash, etc.),
Yes, I know I have a big problem! Buying a game just because some characters appear in it :(

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
Why wouldn't you buy Punch-Out!!? Punch-Out!! is awesome.

Link is on the cover of SoulCalibur II, and that's clearly not a Zelda game. It's a SoulCalibur game. Bowser and DK are on the covers of Skylanders Racing and Skylanders Superchargers, but they're not Mario or DK games. They're Skylanders games.

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 02:41:04 PM »
Link is on the cover of SoulCalibur II, and that's clearly not a Zelda game. It's a SoulCalibur game. Bowser and DK are on the covers of Skylanders Racing and Skylanders Superchargers, but they're not Mario or DK games. They're Skylanders games.

Yes, I know. I guess it all depends of how you see that.
For example, on the Mario Wiki: http://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_games
Punch-Out, is not listed as a Mario game but SSX On Tour, NBA Street V3 and Tetris DS are.
On the TMK website, some games like Tennis on GameBoy are listed as Cameo appearances and allusions of Mario. On the Mario Wiki, this game is considered a Mario game...

In other words, I have problems to draw the line to distinguish what is a Mario (DK/Wario/Yoshi) game and what is not to have a completed collection.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 04:28:26 PM »
I think it's probably not a great idea to rely on Mario Wiki for... really anything. It's kind of garbage.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »
Mario Wiki is to Mario as Wikipedia is to everything. Some facts, but mostly lies and garbage.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
I think it's probably not a great idea to rely on Mario Wiki for... really anything. It's kind of garbage.
Mario Wiki is to Mario as Wikipedia is to everything. Some facts, but mostly lies and garbage.

There is garbage on this website, I agree (some members of the online community, the useless newspaper...) but this is also one of the rare website with a complete list of Mario games.
Unfortunately, TMK seems to exclude Donkey Kong games from being Mario games. I think this is debatable.
For example, on this games list: http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/games/SNES , DKC2 is not considered as a Mario game, but the first one is.
I can understand the logic behind this, but I personally think that the Donkey Kong universe is the same as the Mario one.
MarioWiki also considers all DK games as part of the Mario universe.

Do any of you have another source (excluding the MarioWiki) with all Mario games?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »
You kinda just demonstrated that the definition of "all Mario games" differs from person to person, which renders it impossible to point you to one source.

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »
You kinda just demonstrated that the definition of "all Mario games" differs from person to person, which renders it impossible to point you to one source.

I guess you are right.
And it is impossible to find an official list since Nintendo will never admit that Mario Is Missing, Hotel Mario and other obscure games exit.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 01:54:20 PM »
I have a Super Mario Bros. Movie drinking game. It involves going into the comments section of any YouTube video or article or log post or forum thread about the movie and taking a shot every time you see one that says something like "Everyone seems to hate this movie but I actually like it!" or "This is just one of my guilty pleasures!" Is this one canon yet?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print