Print

Author Topic: Mario & Luigi & Paper  (Read 27932 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:24:54 PM »

So Nintendo heard that we wanted a game with a story and experience points and Paper Mario in it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI9Ic3tz2lc" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI9Ic3tz2lc</a>

I was hoping for a real Paper Mario game, but I won't say no to a new Mario & Luigi (as long as it's a real Mario & Luigi, which so far all of them have been). If both Bowsers have dialogue and both Peaches do something, this could be really good. Papercraft battles look really neat.

Interesting note: In the Treehouse stream, it was mentioned that the basic setup for the story is that Luigi is clumsy and knocks over a book and all the paper characters come out of it. It'd be nice if he'd knocked over one of the first three books so there'd be more characters than Toads, but so far it looks like it's the Sticker Star book.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
I gotta say, the initial announcement broke my brain.

Now that I've put my brain back together, I wonder if they're implying all of the Paper Mario games take place inside books or if this is a one-time "we're only saying this to justify the weird premise" deal. I'm not really too down on Mario turning into Zelda. Or any other major nerd property, for that matter.

Gameplay-wise this looks leagues above Sticker Star, or even Dream Team. Atmosphere-wise it looks a little dull. The environments and enemies are all pretty bog-standard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 08:54:44 PM »
So, my pet theory that Paper Mario is an alternate reality is canon now. I knew a world where Goombas go to college and Bob-Ombs fall into manic depressions after losing their wives wasn't the same world as the main series.

I'm not betting on getting any more than that out of this game, though.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 08:57:59 PM »
The first three games all opened with a narrator reading a book, so I guess the question is whether those books were retellings of actual events (like the in-universe Super Luigi books), or if the books themselves were the events. Worth considering here is that the first game's story was entirely sparked by Bowser taping Kammy into the book.

They have until spring to finish this, so I'm hoping there'll be more than Toads, Goombas, and grass when it's done and that what we're seeing now is an early tutorial section or even just a generic demo section made up for E3 (though I'm pretty sure that Petey Piranha boss fight is basically final).
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 09:01:04 PM »
Mario Galaxy 2 did as well. I think it's kind of just a cheap ploy to look like your game's opening is more creative than it is (especially in SMG2, it really didn't serve any purpose whatsoever)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:02:39 PM by BP »
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:21:49 PM »
I have a feeling the explanation we get will be vague enough that there'll be no real way to tell if if the first three games "happened" or not. As per usual.

CrossEyed7

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
But yeah the main thing I'm thinking about right now is how Bowser's dialogue has always been the best part of the Mario RPGs and Alphadream would have to be really stupid to not get the most out of having two Bowsers now.

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 11:34:56 PM »
One thing I'm worried about is that they're going Sticker Star's "let's overplay the fact that things are made of paper" route. In the older games, it was a mere fact of life, not something that was constantly acknowledged and referenced. As mentioned, it appears this game will mainly/only be taking pages from SS's book, so I doubt we'll be running into any Doogans or Craws.

It's nice that they're going with PM's single-digit damage forumla, though.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 08:29:14 AM »
It's nice that they're going with PM's single-digit damage forumla, though.
Isn't it like that for the early part of Mario and Luigi games though?

CrossEyed7

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 06:16:26 PM »
Quote from: Scott Moffitt, EVP Sales & Marketing NOA
Mario & Luigi, as we showed today with Paper Jam, combines some of the world of Paper Mario, the characters and elements of gameplay there, but brings it into a role-playing game like the Mario & Luigi series.
[x]
Apparently Paper Mario isn't an RPG series.

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 06:54:24 PM »
I think NOA hasn't seen a Paper Mario game in so long that they forgot what they looked like.

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:05:14 PM »
If what we've seen of this game is any indicator, they've wilfully forgotten every iteration preceding Sticker Star.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 07:15:15 PM »
As I explained to Sapph earlier today, I've kind of entered a catch-22 with what I want out of this game.

Assuming Paper Jam only ever uses assets from Sticker Star (and let's face it, we all have a bad feeling it will), then at most you can say that only Sticker Star takes place in a book, which would explain why in that particular game, everybody acts like Mario's world really is made of paper.

Now if anything from the games before Sticker Star makes it in, then that would mean those games took place in a book too, even though that doesn't make much sense. I say this because the first three Paper Marios have much stronger connections to the rest of the series than Sticker Star did, plus they never really treated the paper style as anything more than just that - a style. An artistic choice.

This leaves me with two possible outcomes:

1. Either they do make references to past Paper Mario games and render them "just stories in a book" in the process.

or

2. They don't make references to past Paper Mario games, thus sparing them from being cut off, but also rendering this game every bit as boring as Sticker Star was.

I really don't know which is worse for me. :\

We all know it'll be the second outcome. -.-;

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 09:30:05 PM »
Didn't TTYD get into the meta-paper stuff though? You could turn sideways to go through cracks, fold into a paper airplane, and roll up to fit under passageways. There were also places where the walls would peel away to reveal hidden areas.

Even the first one acknowledged this with bridges that fold out and the aforementioned taping of Kammy Koopa into the book

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 09:48:33 PM »
The paper-type powers in PM2 were caused by curses. Which doesn't explain away the occasional sight gags, like the times Mario drifts down from heights safely in the first game, but it all checks out and the world is believable enough. If the fourth wall breaks in the script don't confirm that it's a game even in the game's own context, a few visual jokes playing off of the visual style looking like arts and crafts do not confirm that the world actually is made of arts and crafts.

It's like when a cartoon character watches TV. What would a cartoon look like to them? Everything in their world looks fake to us, what looks fake to them? When photorealistic imagery appears in a cartoon, what IS that, what is something more realistic than your reality supposed to be?
It's YOUR problem!

Print