Print

Author Topic: Mario Party 8 Launched, Recalled in the UK  (Read 5296 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: July 14, 2007, 02:41:26 PM »
Nintendo of Europe posted the following announcement on their website on July 13:

Mario Party 8 was launched in the UK today. Unfortunately we have discovered that a small number of games contain the wrong version of the disk due to an assembly error. We have therefore decided to recall all copies of the game from UK retailers so that this mistake can be corrected.

We will re-launch Mario Party 8 in the UK as soon as possible and will announce a new launch date shortly. We very much regret any inconvenience caused.

However, an online rumor indicates a possible alternate reason for the recall. The game contains the following incantation by Kamek:

Magikoopa magic!
Turn the train spastic!
Make this ticket tragic!

The inclusion of the word "spastic" resulted in a recall of Ubisoft's MindQuiz for Nintendo DS late last month after a woman publicly complained that the game had called her "Super Spastic." The term holds an offensive connotation in the UK, particularly with regard to those afflicted with cerebral palsy, a disease from which her son had recently died. The word is generally innocuous in North America, and highlights the care that must be taken during localization, even when the language doesn't change.

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 03:41:48 PM »
I love america....lol.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2007, 03:58:02 PM »
This was in the UK. What exactly are you talking about?

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2007, 04:13:52 PM »
I think he loves the word 'spastic'  And he's happy that we Americans don't take offense to the word, and that MP8 wasn't recalled in the States.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2007, 05:31:23 PM »
Of course. I guess my sarcasm detector was cranked up a bit too much.

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 10:07:47 AM »
no no all i ment is that we get games earliar and we dont argue over this crap...I mean come on! Its one word get over it!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 11:41:21 AM »
So, in the UK, they recall games because one person gets offended, just like that? Jeez, this makes Jack Thompson look like a champion of video game rights.
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 11:49:11 AM »
No, no one actually complained about Mario Party 8.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Print