Print

Author Topic: Wario Land 4 lost bytes  (Read 8799 times)

« on: July 27, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
I found some strange tiles on the page with the other (English and Japanese) Title screens and upon arranging them it formed a 'new' title image.

Pretty s****y.
EDIT: Haha wow, would you look at that filter? I typed in  'Swanky' but it filtered the middle. Heh.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 06:17:46 PM by Raccoon Sam »

Linkin800

• Choppy words and a sloppy flow
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »

Looks like they were trying to make it look more like the Japan logo on the beta.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 08:43:06 PM »
Cool find, but I don't see whats so great about it. It's basically a differently colored, less glossy, version of the current one minus the 4.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 08:49:46 PM »
Looks like it could be an early logo, before they decided to add a "4."

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
Maybe they saved it to the game and then realized they forgot the 4 (oh noes!) so they re-did the whole thing.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 08:55:11 PM »
The beta logo looks closer to the Wario Land: Shake It! logo.

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 08:57:43 PM »
Maybe that was the idea until they scrapped it? I mean, not putting an obvious 4...

I GOT IT!

NOJ tried to take a crack at making the logo. Little did they know that this was Wario Land 4...in the Americas.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:18:13 AM »
My best guess is they had palette issues with the title (it's a common problem with several title screens/big sprites in SNES/GBA games) and decided to do a 'Wario Land' title and put a big 4 to the middle as a separate sprite.
The idea got scrapped and they went for the other title.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:07:13 AM »
Or they were going to put "Advance" as a separate sprite, but decided to put 4 in the name instead.
Looking at the boxart, the logo actually looks like a combination of the beta and final versions (it has the chipped stone look, but also the 4).

Linkin800

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 11:56:44 AM »
Well I was looking through the game yesterday and found these Wario Blocks in the tiles along with some other stuff I don't remember seeing in the game. They could be in the game and I just forgot about them but im prety sure they're lost tiles. (useing image shack for a good quality so others can see them clearly if they download it)

I don't know which pallete they use though sadly. But the the second block looks like it would use the first one.
Time is repeating itself. Why you say? Look at the Wii and NES and you'll know why.

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 11:23:05 AM »
Well I was looking through the game yesterday and found these Wario Blocks in the tiles along with some other stuff I don't remember seeing in the game. They could be in the game and I just forgot about them but im prety sure they're lost tiles. (useing image shack for a good quality so others can see them clearly if they download it)

I don't know which pallete they use though sadly. But the the second block looks like it would use the first one.

Perhaps they were going to scrap the Wario forms in favor of Wario power-up blocks? Notice how the first 2 blocks have different facial expressions.

Linkin800

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 03:20:02 PM »
AHA! After searching through the ROM some more I found which pallete's they use! Surprisingly the right color's for the blocks only appear during the game select (as odd as that is) Here they are!

Here's a better quality one for people who want to download them.

Just makes you wonder what they had planned for these blocks... Im guessing as some kind of BG for a reward level that only appears when you beat the game at S-HARD.

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 07:20:52 PM »
All games go through experimental procedures to find what's best for the player and the company explaining various changes in Beta versions of a game.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:33:01 PM »
Well said, Captain Obvious.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 07:59:17 AM »
EDIT: Haha wow, would you look at that filter? I typed in  'Swanky' but it filtered the middle. Heh.
Weird... I've got the filter turned off, but I still see it asterix-ed.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 08:00:58 AM by ShadowBrain »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print