Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart 3DS Casting Call!  (Read 55726 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
One track that is a combination of every Rainbow Road, laid end to end.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2011, 10:18:47 AM »
I like bobby's idea for the Rainbow Cup, but why not have two of them? One for console RR's and one for handheld RR's..? I don't know what they could call them, exactly but.. and let's keep them in appearance order too..

Console:

SNES RR
N64 RR
GCN RR
Wii RR

Handheld:

GBA RR
NDS RR
3DS RR

..oops. I guess there haven't been enough handheld RR's to make a full four track cup yet. Hmmm..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
I absolutely love Rainbow Road, but I don't think I'd want a whole cup of classic RRs.  It just seems like it'd be overkill/get boring after a while.  Assuming they do 4 cups of new tracks and 4 cups of classic tracks, I WOULD like to see them end the fourth retro cup with a classic Rainbow Road, so we'd get one new (for the Special Cup) and one old (for the Lightning Cup).  I nominate either the SNES or N64 Rainbow Roads, since they're classics, and are both WAY different from modern Rainbow Roads, which (rather awesomely) remind me of F-Zero tracks. 
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
The N64 one was way too long and boring a course, great music notwithstanding. Furthermore, it seems that whatever difficulty there was in it was caused either by extraneous Chain Chomps or by freak item accidents.  That and holding too far left/right on that initial drop.  The SNES one was flat as a board (obviously), had way too little room and way too tight corners; that and the unpredictable Thwomps made it nigh-impossible to complete without letting go of the gas.

The GCN and DS ones, on the other hand, had a fairly high difficulty level that you'd expect on a final course, without any unnecessary obstacles contributing to the difficulty.  You could typically stay on the course if you had decent driving skills, unless you got too greedy with Mushroom/Star boosts and/or got caught up in a barrage of ill-timed item hits.  If any Rainbow Road were to return, I think it should be one of these.

I can't say anything about the GBA Rainbow Road, as I never played SC, and Wii's I just didn't care for.  There's nothing particularly wrong with the course (besides perhaps an excessive number of jumps); I've probably just gotten sick of it thanks to Wi-Fi Rainbow Road-spammers.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2011, 05:30:59 PM »
It's unlikely since the two games were in development at the same time, but I hope MK7 is stuffed full of references/courses based on/pulled from Super Mario 3D Land.  One thing I really love about Super Mario Kart and Mario Kart 64 is how they really seem to be companion games to Super Mario World and Super Mario 64, respectively.  Visual design is similar, and a bunch of the courses are directly based on locations from the games.  Double Dash did a really good job of matching up with Sunshine, too, now that I think about it.

It's not unlikely for this to happen, as two of the already-known new courses coincide with other games, namely Donkey Kong Country Returns and Wii Sports Resort/Pilotwings Resort.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #140 on: September 21, 2011, 09:22:25 AM »
Right, but the difference there is that Donkey Kong Country Returns and Wii Sports/Fit Pilotwings 3DS have all been out for a while prior to MK7's development, whereas Super Mario 3D Land is only going to be out a month before MK7's launch, so unless the two teams met and exchanged ideas earlier in development, I wouldn't think MK7 could incorporate much from 3D Land.  I want it to big time, but I don't know if it's feasible.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #141 on: September 21, 2011, 06:40:40 PM »
But there is the Super Leaf item with the exact design as the one in Super Mario 3D Land. I'd say that's pretty significant considering we haven't seen the Super Leaf since Super Mario Bros. 3, meaning the item is mostly likely included as a tie-in with SM3DL.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2011, 08:22:07 AM »
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #143 on: October 09, 2011, 04:07:14 PM »
So it's basically the side-punch from Double Dash!!, presumably usable multiple times.  Interesting... I guess a Cape Feather reboot'd be kind of pointless what with the hang-glider system.

EDIT: I'm still curious as to what the distribution of retro courses will be.  Thus far, 1 from SNES (a Mario Circuit), 2 from N64 (Kalimari Desert + Luigi Raceway), 4 from DS (Waluigi Pinball, Airship Fortress, Luigi's Mansion, DK Pass), and 1 from Wii (Maple Treeway) have been shown in various screenshots and videos.  I guess that 2-2-2-2-4-4 (in order of release) is still a possibility, but I hope that N64 gets more representation than that, and don't think Wii needs 4 as badly.  I'd love to see one retro cup per game, but I don't think Nintendo would break the 4-cup mold for that.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 08:55:16 AM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2011, 11:58:29 PM »
Isn't the whole point of old tracks to keep the old games livin? What would be the point of gracing the most attention to the recent ones?

Besides putting the better MKW courses into a game that potentially won't suck
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2011, 07:54:33 AM »
Isn't the whole point of old tracks to keep the old games livin? What would be the point of gracing the most attention to the recent ones?

Besides putting the better MKW courses into a game that potentially won't suck
Most Mario Kart games try not to suck

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2011, 03:33:47 PM »
MKW didn't try hard enough!!!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #147 on: October 13, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »
Whaaaa?   MKW was a blast.  Maybe not my favorite in the series, but it definitely didn't suck either.  I'm going to miss bikes, stunts and wheelies.  Some AWESOME tracks in there, too.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #148 on: October 13, 2011, 12:56:54 PM »
Tricks are in MK7, from what's been shown in the most recent trailers.  I'm going to miss bikes too, but I 'll gladly take their omission over a totally horrible balance between vehicles like in MKWii.

« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2011, 08:47:15 AM »
IGN touches on three new items, two we know about (tanooki tail, fire flower) and one we didn't (lucky seven).  The tanooki tail can break through certain obstacles, which is pretty cool, and the lucky seven works kind of like the triple shell, only instead of three shells circling you it's seven assorted items circling.  Sounds pretty intense, hopefully that's a rare one, like the lightning or blue shell.

IGN also revealed the track listings for four of the cups:

Mushroom Cup

Toad Circuit
    Daisy Hills
    Cheep Cheep Lagoon
    Shy Guy Bazaar

Flower Cup

Wuhu Loop
    Mario Circuit
    Music Circuit
    Rock Rock Mountain

Shell Cup

Luigi Raceway (N64)
    Bowser Castle I (GBA)
    Mushroom Gorge (Wii)
    Luigi's Mansion (DS)

Banana Cup

Koopa Beach (N64)
    Mario Circuit 2 (SNES)
    Coconut Mall (Wii)
    Waluigi Pinball (DS)

Sounds like we have some pretty fresh course concepts in the new cups.  Definitely curious to see what the Music Circuit looks like.  I thought for sure Wuhu would be in the special cup too...  I'm lovin' some of the classic course choices too. 

Link: http://ds.ign.com/articles/121/1210424p1.html?RSSwhen2011-10-21_144800&RSSid=1210424&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ignfeeds%2Fds+%28IGN+DS%29
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 08:49:06 AM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

Print