Print

Author Topic: Koopaling name origins confirmed  (Read 8313 times)

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« on: December 30, 2015, 06:15:06 PM »
http://kotaku.com/how-a-mario-character-was-named-after-motorheads-lemmy-1750180427

Quote from: Dayvv Brooks, Nintendo of America product analyst
“Music has always been a big part of my life. I’ve been a DJ for years and have been a music collector for even longer. When I first saw the group of seven Koopalings, music was on my mind.

The hairstyle on one of them reminded me of Ludwig von Beethoven for some reason and Ludwig von Koopa was born. Next was the one with the glasses—that has to be Roy Koopa in homage to Roy Orbison, who almost always wore glasses. Then Wendy O. Koopa (Wendy O. Williams) [and] Iggy Koopa (Iggy Pop). One looked like a loudmouth, so he was Morton Koopa Jr. from [the] loud-mouthed talk show host Morton Downey Jr. And then there was Larry. There’s no real-world equivalent—he’s not Larry Mullen Jr. from U2 or Larry King—he just looked like a Larry.

That brings us to Lemmy. In addition to being a great name, it’s perfect for a video game character. This Koopaling struck me as being the kind of character who would do his own thing, no matter what anyone else thought. I think it was those crazy eyes. Lemmy Koopa was in the crew.”
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 08:11:15 PM »
I'm kinda sad he didn't delve into exactly why he picked Wendy O. Williams for the one girl Koopaling's namesake. I'm legitimately intrigued to know what led him to think adding a reference to her in a popular kids' game would be a good idea. :p

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 04:56:01 PM »
They had to pick a female singer from somewhere.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 07:32:20 PM »
Should have gone with Aretha Koopa.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 09:07:34 PM »
It's been known since How To Win At Super Mario Bros. that the koopalings were modeled after SMB3's staff, but not exactly whom. This is something that needs confirmation, but I wouldn't know how to ascertain it. As far as I can tell there wasn't any female staff credited, so who could Wendy modeled after?

Edit: I'm betting Ludwig = Miyamoto cause dat hair
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:26:20 PM by Boo Dudley »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 06:35:07 AM »
...Er, isn't How to Win at Super Mario Bros. a guide to Mario 1, and wasn't it published a few years before Mario 3 was ever released?

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 10:28:45 AM »
Maybe. Whatever publication it was mentioned also revealed Mario 2 as an edit of a different game, i think, so it's safe to assume it is right if a bit vague.

Edit: I was correct How to Win at Super Mario Bros. Games covers 1 through 3.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 10:35:21 AM by Boo Dudley »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 05:34:21 PM »
That's not How to Win at Super Mario Bros. though, the book covered here is. So no, you weren't correct.

The "publication" you're thinking of is probably either an issue of Nintendo Power, Mario Mania, or NoA's Super Mario All-Stars guide. If not, then I have no idea where the whole "the Koopalings are based on the dev team" factoid came from.

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 01:33:42 PM »
Are you even paying attention Chef? Boo pointed out a completely different book there.

I don't have scans, but I can confirm that he has the right book because I have it too.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 03:51:18 PM »
Boo pointed out a completely different book there.

...Isn't that exactly what I just said? He mentioned one book, then linked to a completely different book with a near-identical title. The former book is a NoA's localization of a guide to SMB guide by Tokuma Shoten published in 1985, so I know it couldn't have possibly mentioned the Koopalings. The latter book seems to be an unofficial guide to all three SMBs by an author named Jeff Rovin. If you do indeed have this book, could you confirm if it says anything about the Koopalings' names or SMB2 being a retool of Dokidoki Panic as Boo pointed out?

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 05:17:34 PM »
"How to Win at Nintendo Games" is the one I have. Oops.

I know for sure it covered up to SMB2. I will check later to see what it says about the game, and whether it covered SMB3 or not.

I was unaware there was a "How To Win at Super Mario Brothers" series of books.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 06:08:09 PM »
There isn't. Jeff Rovin has, however, written a series of "How to Win at ___________" books covering various NES games along with one for SNES and one for Game Boy.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 04:11:04 PM »
There is. See here (a bit down the page).

Blast. I can't find my copy, but I know I have it, or have had it at one point. I don't remember anything about it at the moment, except that I've owned it..

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 04:48:20 PM »
There is precisely one book on that page titled "How to Win at Super Mario Bros. Games". It is the same one that Boo linked to a few posts ago. There is another book entitled "Conquering Super Mario Bros." by an entirely different author named Steven Schwartz. The only other books by Jeff Rovin on there are various "How to Win at Nintendo Games" titles. What exactly am I supposed to be seeing?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 04:54:05 PM by The Chef »

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 11:26:32 PM »
Maybe I had a brain fart. Beg pardon.

I will still look for my copy of the one book for name confirmations and other such things though.

Print