Print

Author Topic: Super Playstation Bros. Brawl  (Read 14068 times)

« on: April 27, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »
So Sony's cloned Smash Bros. with Playstation-exclusive characters:

http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/152?ch=1

The gameplay looks almost exactly the same, right down to what appear to be final smashes.  Still, it's cool to see another studio try their hand at the Smash Bros. formula... hopefully this will be more successful than the Viewtiful Joe/Ninja Turtle/Cartoon Network attempts at recreating Smash Bros.

I sometimes forget how important nostalgia is for Smash Bros... I think that's why I love that series so much, and why this one doesn't really do it for me.  I've only ever owned a PS2 waaaaay after the fact, so I don't really care about Parappa or Sackboy or Kratos like I do Mario, Link and Samus.  I'm sure plenty of players, especially younger ones who grew up playing the PSX and PS2 the way I grew up on the NES and Super NES are jizzing like maniacs right now.  Including Cloud could probably move a couple million titles alone. I'm surprised we haven't seen him yet. Alucard would be cool too.

Maybe Microsoft will follow suit?  Finally, a game that could pit Master Chief and the steroids-looking guy from Gears of War against... Master Chief and the steroids-looking guy from Gears of War?

I guess I'm just excited about this because having some "competition" will put pressure on Sakurai and co. to really bring their A-game. The only thing that jumped out at me about PSX Bros. is the levels. They seem pretty dynamic, and having the levels themselves be mash-ups is pretty neat... but at the same time, I really like Smash Bros.' cohesive, single-theme levels.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 12:08:24 PM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
Crash, Spyro, Jak, Ratchet, Sly, Drake pl0x
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:32:28 PM »
Add Commander Keen and a mascot from Roller Coaster Tycoon, and I'm in.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:55:28 PM »
Every single post except CE7's made me facepalm hard, for various reasons.

Anyway, I hope Gitaroo Man somehow makes it in. Kevin Butler will probably be in this game somewhere. Possibly as the mysterious final boss they talked about in the vid.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 07:02:47 AM »
And Penny-Arcade nails it: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/04/30
Haters gonna hate

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 12:06:27 PM »
Muh. I don't really get what the big deal here is. The original Smash Bros. had twelve characters and we were cool with that. The first release of Street Fighter II had eight, and so does Skullgirls. Sony doesn't have a whole lot of faces they can call their own... but they have enough to justify this game. Cole of inFAMOUS hasn't even been announced to be in it yet.

I think the thread title explains it; Brawl's roster is just so fat and slobbish that when you put it this way, anything normal looks tiny. But then again, Street Fighter 4 grew one that large and Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3's is even bigger (and even then we're still *****ing about the lack of Mega Man and Green Goblin and whoev!). So, who knows. If I were plotting a fighting game I'd personally shoot for twenty every time and always be sure to have no more than ten returning characters in the sequels, the remaining ten being new. And I'll stop right there before I say something even more irrelevant
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:30 PM »
Crash, Spyro, Jak, Ratchet, Sly, Drake pl0x
Crash Bandicoot = not PlayStation-exclusive
Spyro = not PlayStation-exclusive
Sly = already announced, did you even watch the vid?

The other three I'd guarantee though.

The Penny Arcade comic exaggerates the situation. People love Sackboy. They have Uncharted and Infamous and Killzone and Resistance all those cartoony PS2-era games Turtlekid1 mentioned. And if you use 2-3 characters per series it adds up fast.

Nariko from Heavenly Sword would make a good character. I wonder if Heavy Rain, Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's Souls, or 3D Dot Game Heroes will get any representation.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
I highly doubt any of those games in your last sentence except Heavy Rain would see a rep in this game. Even though Demon's Souls was published by Sony in Japan, the franchise is now cross-platform; similarly, Valkyria Chronicles seems especially unlikely since it's being repped in an upcoming 3DS game. 3D Dot Game Heroes is PS3-exclusive, sure, but I don't think we'll be seeing much in the way of third-party IPs in here, even if they're Sony-exclusive.

I'd like to see a playable Patapon rep. The God of War stage is cool, but not enough.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »
Crash Bandicoot = not PlayStation-exclusive
Spyro = not PlayStation-exclusive
Sly = already announced, did you even watch the vid?
The first two were PS-exclusive when they were worth bothering with.  :c
And no, I hadn't watched the video at the time, because buffering.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 02:17:54 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised to see the dude from Shadow of the Colossus. He could even summon a Colossus as his super ultra move.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Wander would be pretty cool.

If Sony does decide they'll have some third-party stuff in, I wouldn't be surprised to see Cloud Strife or Sephiroth appear in some capacity. Not that I particularly like either of these characters or want to see them over any other third-party characters—like LD, I'd love to see Gitaroo Man if such a thing were possible—but Final Fantasy VII and its spinoffs have been great for Sony over the years, and Square Enix loves money and Final Fantasy-milking. (Cloud would be less likely, as he's been in Kingdom Hearts games on non-Sony platforms, but they might be willing to ignore such in this theoretical scenario, just like how they'll probably have Wipeout-related stuff in and ignore the fact that the series was originally cross-platform with Sega Saturn and PC.)

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 05:33:42 PM »
I've wondered how Wander would do in a SSB setting.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print