Print

Author Topic: Come On, Come On... Do the Donkey Kong...  (Read 9415 times)

David

• Trusts the fungus
« on: March 12, 2014, 01:28:46 AM »
My battle with Donkey Kong Country: Tropic Freeze continues.  While Scrooge McCranky is a fantastic addition, I must say that I miss his banter.

Anyone else feeling shorted on Cranky's... crankiness?
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:45:01 PM »
Hey, he gets to go on an adventure and be carted around by DK the whole time. What does he have to be cranky about?

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 06:08:18 PM »
Yeah, I've always been disappointed with the way Nintendo has portrayed the DK cast after Rareware left, anyone who thinks it's a good idea to have Cranky smile in his artwork dosen't understand his character. I don't think Cranky would be happy with the way he controls in the game:
"Look at all these buttons! It's ridiculous, I say! Kids in my day wept with joy if we gave 'em two to press!"

I do like Cranky joining on DK's adventures. It reminds me of the three Donkey Kong Country novelizations where Cranky did join Donkey on his quest. He was mostly a hindrance, but his Cranky personality more than made up for it. I found "A Full Dramatic Reading" of the first book in case your interested in seeing how Cranky did back on his first adventure with Diddy Kong.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1DNfP9LItU" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1DNfP9LItU</a>

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »
anyone who thinks it's a good idea to have Cranky smile in his artwork dosen't understand his character

I totally agree, man. His name is Cranky.
Relics.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:56:08 PM »
I guess Rare themselves didn't understand his character either.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 02:06:42 AM »
I guess Rare themselves didn't understand his character either.
Heh, good catch!

I think it helps to understand the context of those images. All those pictures are used in the Donkey Kong manuals where Cranky Kong talks to you. In every one of them, Cranky is either making fun of you or being…well… Cranky.

Let’s take a look at the middle image with Cranky’s arms in the air. It was used twice in the Donkey Kong Country 2 manual and once in the Donkey Kong 64 manual.
Here’s what he was saying in each case:
Gangplank Galley, Crocodile Cauldron, Krem Quay, Krazy Kremland, Gloomy Gulch, K. Rool’s Keep
Lost World
Someone sure has a vivid imagination! I’ve been everywhere and I can tell you that none of these places exist!
See, I knew you’d have to come crying to old Cranky, begging him to share his vast game play knowledge with you. Did you think that just because you tortured yourself by reading this boring manual I would actually reward you with some free hints?! Pshawl! You can pay for my hints in the Monkey Museum, like everyone else!
CRANKEY”S SPECIAL ABILITIES
Ah, this is where I come in. Let’s face it, the Kongs’ basic abilities are only a pale shadow of my former skills.

The 2nd picture, the one with him smiling as he laughs, was used once at the end of the Donkey Kong 64 manual:
CRANKY’S TIPS:
Tough luck kid, I’ve been told to keep my mouth shut, as they want to keep all the good stuff for a money-making strategy guide. I’m sure some of it will appear on that newfangled “internet” thing as well, so I suggest you take a look see there. You could also ask your friends, assuming of ‘course you’ve got any. If all else fails, you’ll just have to play better.
I think you proved my point. You had to dig pretty deep in order to find Rareware artwork of Cranky smiling. After Rareware, the only artwork that dosen’t have Cranky smiling is his Donkey Konga artwork. Everything else has him smiling like he’s a generic nice old man. But, that's just my opinion.

For more great commentary from Cranky, be sure to read the manuals for Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2. and Donkey Kong 64. Odd how Cranky doesn’t say anything in the Donkey Kong Country 3 manual, I guess he was too busy playing all those games at S****y’s Sideshow. Wait, S-W-A-N-K-Y Kong's name is censored on this forum? I didn't know S****y was a bad word. Learn something new everyday!

By the way, did anyone else see the fantastic PR stunt Nintendo did for Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze when they had Cranky takeover Nintendo of America’s twitter account? Fan’s got to ask him questions and Cranky would answer them in a way only good ol’ Cranky Kong could. I wanted to create a topic about Cranky’s tweets, but I can’t seem to find a “Create New Topic” button anywhere, do I need to make more posts before I’m allowed to do that or something?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 09:21:40 AM »
You know you're talking to the biggest DK fan on this entire forum, right? :P

That said, Cranky never smiles in DKC Returns. I still say the only reason he's happy in DKC Tropical Freeze is because he finally got to go on an adventure for the first time in forever.

Edit: Also, "S****y" isn't censored. "****" is.

Edit 2: Also also, you have to post a certain number of times before you can make a topic.

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:29:12 PM »
You know you're talking to the biggest DK fan on this entire forum, right? :P
Awesome, glad to know there’s a fellow Monkey Marauder on this forum.

Hey, he gets to go on an adventure and be carted around by DK the whole time. What does he have to be cranky about?
That said, Cranky never smiles in DKC Returns. I still say the only reason he's happy in DKC Tropical Freeze is because he finally got to go on an adventure for the first time in forever.
What’s funny is Cranky Kong said the same thing in the Nintendo Twitter Takeover. Perhaps you’ve also seen his tweets?
Quote from: Cranky Kong on Nintendo of America's Twitter Account
YOU ASKED: Are all of these new-fangled features of the new game too much for you to take in?
Are you kidding me? I upgraded from a rocking chair to getting toted around by DK! Life is goooooooood.
Edit: Also, "S****y" isn't censored. "****" is.
Heh, yeah. I thought it was funny to pretend that S-w-a-n-k-y was the bad word.
Edit 2: Also also, you have to post a certain number of times before you can make a topic.
Oh, ok, cool, thanks for letting me know. That means I’ve got some work to do!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 01:55:06 PM »
I was hoping somebody would catch that.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 04:41:37 PM »
This is barely related to the conversation at hand, but that dramatic reading is the best thing I've ever experienced in my entire life

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 09:54:57 PM »
There were a handful of good cranky tweets:

Print