Print

Author Topic: Mario Kart 3DS Casting Call!  (Read 55688 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 05:55:50 PM »
Yoshi Egg would be incredibly fast and maneuverable, but also very fragile: Upon being hit just once, it would be destroyed in an explosion of yolk and embryonic matter.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 06:42:27 PM »
Let's turn all the baby characters into baby Yoshi's instead. There's one for each Yoshi color, and these are the only babies that I would happily accept. (not that I am the authority on playable characters..)

Dry versions are fine, as long they acctually were in a game beforehand (I can't believe people have a problem with Dry Bones, since he's a classic character, and Dry Bowser hasn't been around for real long but is pretty neat) and other characters from related franchises are always welcome (Funky Kong, Rosalina).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
We just need more yellow Yoshis all around.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 02:29:18 PM »
Mostly related:

Nintendo dropped a pretty big Kart info bomb on us today:

ALL-TERRAIN KARTS!

Looks like airborne karts sprout hang glider wings and sprout propellers to hit the waves.  Very fun.  Reminds me of Diddy Kong Racing, and that's a good thing.  Hopefully bikes are coming back too though.

Also just off the top of my head screenshots show Mario and Luigi, Bowser, Peach, DK and Yoshi.  No surprises there, but it's nice to get more of the cast confirmed.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2011, 02:41:51 PM »
Toad, DK, Koopa Troopa and sime wide yellow individual I assume to be Wario are also there.

The kart-customization feature is nifty as well.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2011, 04:47:17 PM »
MK3DS trailer:

I don't know if anyone knew or cared about this similarity when they implemented it, but I always loved that arena combat car thing from Mario Party 5, and I'm glad to see something similar being implemented here (yeah, I know a lot of other racing games do that, but this is the first from Nintendo). And yeah, I nostalgia'd hard for DKR when I saw the new kart features.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 07:36:01 PM »
http://e3.nintendo.com/games/detail/#/3ds/mariokart

This looks awesome. I'm sad to see bikes and tricks (apparently) get the ax, but the addition of gliders and propellers, plus the triumphant return of coins definitely makes up for this. The super-customizable karts are very cool as well.

The inclusion of coins, and the fact that we see NO items until the end of the video leads me to believe that this entry will (thankfully) scale back the items, and put a bit more emphasis on racing. Assuming this works like past games that featured coins, more coins will equal more speed, and items (and environmental hazards) will make lose coins/speed. So it would make sense that the old bull[dukar] of the CPU spamming you with lightning, a blue shell, two red shells, Blooper and a POW block will go away: getting hit with one shell will not only make you crash up, but also your top speed will be permanently reduced unless you get more coins, which are finite!

So excited to see how this one comes along.
Haters gonna hate

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 09:26:03 PM »
Oh yeah, I somehow managed to totally forget that it's been a long time since Coins...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 04:11:50 AM »
Which was the last MK to have Coins outside of bonus modes, anyway?

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 05:09:13 AM »
Super Circuit. They were a bit of a pain in the arse on 150cc Grand Prix though, I must say.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 08:48:25 AM »
I hope the glider-karts and sub-karts don't handle TOO differently from the normal land-karts.  Or if they do, I hope it's fun instead of annoying.  I just realize how much this could potentially shake up gameplay and track design.
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 12:20:06 PM »
Hands-on impressions of the game are reporting that the glider-karts work similarly to getting massive air in F-Zero.  You can alter how much hang-time you have and land accordingly.  U-karts handle pretty much the same as land-karts, but since they're underwater, gravity is lighter, allowing you to get more hang-time off jumps.  Both are triggered from your regular kart automatically.  They both sound cool, and nothing too drastically game-changing.  So since these aren't actually separate types of vehicles, maybe we'll see bikes again after all?
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 08:29:47 AM »
5 Features IGN Wants for MKDS: http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1176260p1.html?RSSwhen2011-06-14_165300&RSSid=1176260&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ignfeeds%2Fds+%28IGN+DS%29

Basically boils down to:
"Epic" battle mode
Classic tracks
More items to Equip (i.e. stuff like the glider and sub-kart propeller)
Tons of characters
Don't mess with success

I agree with points 2 and 4.

Battle mode has never really been more than a brief diversion for me, so I don't miss it.

At this point I feel like we'd be getting cheated if we didn't get retro tracks, so that was kind of a no-brainer.  I do agree with them just wanting the retro cups to be all the old MK64 tracks.  There's magic in that game, and it's got everything to do with the fantastic level design.

I can't really think of any good "equippable" items other than the glider and the sub-kart. IGN suggests a jetpack, but that seems kind of... stupid. Maybe a drill-kart? I don't know. I think what's been revealed so far is enough. On a strictly aesthetic note, I think it'd be cool if a little bubble dome or scuba gear appeared on your kart when you went underwater... I DON'T WANT THEM TO DROWN.

I agree with their want for "tons of characters" but I don't agree that it should stretch to non-Mario franchises. Actually, I go back and forth on that. I guess if they did reach into non-Mario series, I'd want them to go whole hog and just make it Smash Kart. But then, it wouldn't be Mario Kart any more. I say keep Mario Kart in the Mario universe. But finally ****ing put Kamek in.

Their last point is hilarious to me because MK3D probably won't be too wildly different from past entries, and their review will invariably dock it points for being too similar to past games.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 08:31:29 AM by billy chilly »
Haters gonna hate

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 12:10:34 PM »
One of the main reasons I'm excited for this game and confident it will be excellent is that Retro Studios (of Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country returns fame) is codeveloping the game.

Probably due to their development, there's a DKCR themed track in the game.

I want a simplistic but fun battle mode like in MK64. I feel like the multicomputer points frenzy in recent games just isn't as fun, but this might just be the nostalgia talking.

As for characters, I would appreciate lots of them, but I would prefer if they handled differently, given visible stats. Also, a few characters outside of the Mario universe would be great; Kirby characters would work well.
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 01:03:06 PM »
Maybe a costume system to cut down on similar characters like the babies (Baby Luigi is a costume for Baby Mario) or Miis. You could unlock different costumes like unlocking charcters. (You unlock NES styled costumes for Mario and Luigi by getting 1st on all retro circuits.)

Print