Print

Author Topic: The Toad Game  (Read 9599 times)

« on: September 19, 2006, 07:03:16 PM »
What if Toad had his own game? What would it be like? Would he stomp on things (like the Bros)? Would he have wild mood swings (like Peach)? or would it be something completely different (like.. something completely different)?

Thoughts?? (if this should be in another part of the FF, please tell me)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 07:23:26 PM »
Technically, Toad already has his own game. It's called Wario's woods. It's a puzzle game, where toad has to beat Wario. I believe there is some info on the site...

Do you mean if toad had his own Platform game? It would be something completely different. Perhaps maybe a puzzle platformer, with little tasks or puzzle along the way. The plot would be something like, "When Mario and Luigi are out fighting some new evil in some far of land, Bowser Kidnapps Peach! Now only Toad can save the princess!"
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 10:28:13 PM »
I wonder what the mushroom cap part of his head feels like... Is it a vital point?
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 10:48:14 PM »
I actually had this weird dream involving a game about Toad. It was just like SM64, but, instead of stomping on enemies, you couldn't harm them directly... you had to use shells, crates and even other enemies to harm them. It was much like a 3D version of SMB2. imo, it would make an interesting and unique game.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2006, 11:30:41 PM »
It would be Super Mario 64 but the plumber never came. So the Toad who you see at the start of the castle had to do it himself.

I don't know how he would be able to lift the heavier bad guys (like bowser and the huge bomb) but it would be interesting.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 01:00:37 AM »
A Toad game could revolve around Toad having to rescue a female toad(Toadette, I guess) from an evil, rival toad. Like, maybe a poisonous toad. It would kind of make sense to have him throw stuff at bad guys.
Although, If Nintendo really were to give Toad his own game, it'd probably be a minigame collection or something.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 01:33:56 AM »
I don't like the idea of making the cast all toads.  It's good to make new connections like that, but it's even more important to harbor and develop the ones that already exist.  Mario, Luigi, Princess, et al should be in the game--it just happens that Toad is the character you control.

It would be a great opportunity to show the inside of the castle... I've always wanted to explore the castle.  Other games have always used it as a sort of backdrop for the real action--like Mario 64 with the plain, generic rooms--but Toad's life practically is the castle.  You could have a whole game taking place in that huge castle... with maybe the courtyard and a little greenery out front.

As for the premise, that's never been the focus of Mario games, so that shouldn't get in our way.  I'll go with this:  Mario & Friends leave the castle--say, on a picnic.  While gone, Toad must look after everything.  He's also sort of the "in charge" guy, who all the other castle guards look to for guidance.

Even without Peach and the Bros., the castle should be full of life.  So, I'll put a dungeon on the bottom floor--full of all the bad guys you wouldn't expect to be hanging around otherwise.  Meanwhile, there are some lurkers--say, shy guys or boos--and there are pet chain chomps or wigglers scattered here and there.  Plus, you've got the legions of castle guards and maybe a few travellers or guests.

Anyway, at some point, a conflict arises... I'm gonna go with castle siege.  But it's not an ordinary Bowser-in-the-copter siege:  No, this one's different.  I don't know who should be in charge--maybe an uprising from the dungeon, perhaps--but the goal of the siege is simply to make a mess of things.  It'll be like when you were a kid, home alone with your brother or a friend:  Someone made a big mess, and you need it clean before Mom & Dad come back.  You need to erase everything back to the way it was--and catch the bad guys.  That's the premise of this game.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 02:40:35 AM »
It would be Super Mario 64 but the plumber never came. So the Toad who you see at the start of the castle had to do it himself.

I don't know how he would be able to lift the heavier bad guys (like bowser and the huge bomb) but it would be interesting.

Toad's actually one of the strongest Mario characters. In SMB2, he lifted up vegetables almost as tall as him, not to mention many a gigantic Shy Guy.

Anyway, a game like I mentioned would go well on the DS. I could imagine Toad waddling along, picking up an enemy, twirling him in circles with the stylus and throwing him.

But, yeah, the castle is too plain. We want to see the actual rooms, not just the paintings! x_X
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »
I like DeadAwake's idea. It's like a Mario-fied Home Alone. But I once had this idea many years ago where Toad can only beat enemies using a fishing pole. Must've been some sort of Sonic Adventure sydrome. Another idea I had was a Zelda-ripoff, where Toad used a sword and shield and everything.

As of recently, I pondered up an idea where the cast is made up of all the boss characters from Wario's Woods, some of which are good guys now, and the bad ones have a new leader, an evil Toad. Yes I know it sounds lame, and I even considered naming him Watoad after our own Fungi Forum mod(where ever the heck he may be now), but he'd be sorta unique for a mushroom person, considering that he's very large and has the poison symbol on his cap. I also considered having a group of evil Toads, each a different color, like the anthisis of the Toads from SMS. Their leader would be this very old Toad sorcerer who wants to rule the entire Mushroom World or something and get rid of all humans and any other species that isn't mushroom-related and stuff. Something unexpected, eh?

The gameplay was to be in the style of Bubble Bobble, with each stage being one screen. The goal would be to destroy all the enemies in the stage (which would be the ones from Wario's Woods, along with a few new ones) and to do so you'd have to use objects scattered about, like US's idea.

I also had an idea for 2-player co-op mode, with second player controlling a palette swap of Toad like in Wario's Woods (probably with a different name, though I couldn't think of a good one. Anyone care to help me out on this?) or Toadette, or maybe have the option to choose from a bunch of sifferent Toads, each with their own abilities (this could be something introduced in a sequel).

Speaking of sequels, I figured there's be a few, maybe even a spinoff puzzle game wich serves as a successor to Wario's Woods, though with a new title and premise due to Wario not being a majoe character anymore.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 01:54:52 PM »
I had an idea pretty recently, where a sequel to Wario's Woods was made, but it was more of a WW remake, with Wario Ware characters.

I don't know, but I really don't care for the idea of an evil Toad, since Nintendo aleady has a backlog of Mario characters they haven't used in several years (Tatanga, Wart, bosses from SMB2).

Someone from the Wario Ware cast could be Toad's rival, since Nintendo thinks everybody needs an evil twin in the Mario-verse.. or actually, the evil Toad idea could work. They could call him the Nema-Toad, and he would have the look of a poison musrhoom gone bad (or actually, gone worse, since Posion Mushroom are already bad..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 02:41:12 PM »
http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&param=02&c=2&id=501
Wanted to bring that up. Anyhow, an official game by Nintendo might happen when you look at things like SPP, emaning it'll probably end up on the DS as well, but I think a Toad game would be a good idea to take a shot at because a lot of people do want to see the little guy do somthing besides be a weapon ect.
I'm a horrible person.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 07:25:07 PM »
After much pondering and searching, I finally have a list of characters from Wario's Woods for reference. There's also a brief description next to each.

Enemies
Fuzz-Most common enemy. Resembles a Shy Guy.
Spud-Picture a sentient version of the vegetables from SMB2.
Squeak-Little furry guy. Probably my favorite.
Beaker-Looks sorta like a buff Fuzz. My least favorite.
Scram-It's Pikachu wearing a tutu. Could be female.
Spook-Odd mushroom-shaped thingie. Is this Toad's ancestor?
Dovo-A cross between a lobster and a ghost. Wierd.

Bosses
1.Katsini-Purple guy wearing a top hat and tailcoat. Might be a magician.
2.Galrog-Big grey horned cyclops. Kind of a softie.
3.Harley Q-Supposedly female jester-like thing.
4.Sam Spook-Scarcrow with a green pumpkin for a head.
5.Sven-Hairy dwarf guy. Complete with a viking helmet and boxing gloves.
6.Parrotor-Looks like a bird with crossed eyes and a lizard's tail.
7.Monsuier Boo-A genering sheet ghost with a beret on his head.
8.Aqualea-Pink-tailed, blue-haired mermaid. Kind of fiesty.
9.Razor-He looks just like the Zoras from the old Zelda games. His name is an anagram of 'Zora'.
10.Tad Rock-A frog dressing 80's punk attire. I like him.
11.Lizardon-A purple, horned dinosaur. I think he's lame.
12.Thak-A big, blue caveman-type guy. Not too bright.
13.Sarissa-A sickeningly cute little girl dressed like a witch. Kind of a femenist.
14.Mangylox-Not sure what the heck he's supposed to be, but he's got orange hair all over him.
15.Dedar-Little green elf man in a red suit.
16.Carlton-Black knight. Pretty cool-looking to me.
17.Harry H-Rabbit in a tuxedo. Resemble the rabbit from 'Alice in Wonderland'.

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 08:39:05 AM »
If there's going to be an evil Toad, I gotta admit I like the idea of having a poison symbol on his cap.  Maybe even the polka dots could be rounded skulls instead.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 04:08:49 PM »
After posting that list of bad guys from Wario's Woods, does anyone have any ideas as to what roles they'd play in this new game? Should any of them be good guys? If they're enemies, how would they fight? Please share.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »
While I doubt Nintendo would release a $35-$50 Toad game, I think there's definitely potential for "Toad's Adventure" as a new game on the Virtual Console.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print