Print

Author Topic: So what would you name your kids?  (Read 34699 times)

« on: May 16, 2007, 06:50:47 PM »
I always thought this would be an interesting topic, just because names are an important part of people, and once you name something, it can never really change.

While I highly doubt I will ever have kids, I did have some idea of what I might name them. For a girl(s), it would probably be something like Cecilia or Celeste. Those names sound fancy and uncommon, they have a soft sound to them and it makes them sound classy. Other options would be something like Melanie or Erika. Astrid sounds pretty unique too.

For a boy(s), I definitely would name him Eduardo or Ray. If just for the fact that I would be naming them after two awesome Mexican legends. Jack or Gregory would also suit well, since I'd be naming them after an unstoppable CIA agent and a Docter who uses hax. The only other good boy names I can think of that don't sound totally generic are Skylar, Juventud, and Liam.

Discuss.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 06:58:48 PM »
Paul and Susan.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 07:01:42 PM »
If I have a daughter, I'd like to name her Lavender. I've always thought that that was a nice name, and I like the color and scent of the flower.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 07:06:48 PM »
Girl: Molly. I think it's a cute name.

Boy: I'm torn between Phillips, Robert Jr., or Squiggles. A name like Phillips is pretty sophisicated, Robert Jr. could carry on the family legacy (My dad is named Bob.), and Squiggles is just an awesome name. Seriously. Every girl in high school dreams of dating a guy named Squiggles.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 07:18:02 PM »
I suck at naming things, but one name I would definitely give to a son if and when I get one: Clark. The middle name would be Anthony, and that helps it blend really really well with my last name, which I will not disclose because MaxVance will use that classified information to kill me. I'll let my wife do the rest (in, you know, the future). I have nothing for a girl or a second boy.
What I've always thought you have to do is avoid things that would lead to easy name-calling... kids with names that can go with either girls or boys lead particularly harsh lives. I have just about the most defenseless name ever: Sam I Am, Samantha... poor me. Now, Clark can be a vampire man or something, and they'll call him Clark of the Dark.
Or maybe I should focus on names that can be shortened to four letters or less so it could be registered in Melee. Maybe Brawl will be more lenient.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 08:05:21 PM »
The local Number 1 Names of the Year list was topped by:

Boys: Jacob, followed by Ethan
Girls: Isabella, followed by Emily

Who would have known Isabella is a popular name?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 08:11:25 PM »
Don't know where you got your list because this one says otherwise: http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
Jacob and Emily have been the top names since 1999.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 09:40:25 PM »
He said "The local Number 1 Names of the Year list," meaning he was talking about the list of names in Colorado. The list directly at http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/ is the national list.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 09:40:34 PM »
My sister and I are both carrying the chromosomes for twins, and neither of us were twins, so..

My fiancee has already shot down this idea, but I always thought it would be funny to name twin girls: Claire Annette and Amanda Lynn.

As for boys, I really only have one idea, and it's already been shot down too: Mario.

Ok, Mario has not so much been shot down as taken into consideration.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 10:12:24 PM »
For boys -- Michael. First born son is being named Michael unless future wife freaks out about it.

For girls... No clue. At all.
~I.S.~

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 10:34:38 PM »
I couldn't think of any boy names, but I did think of two good girl names: Jillian and Kelsey. I'll admit that before thinking of Kelsey, I thought of Samus.

I'd never name one of my kids Mario-- I probably don't have a teaspoon of Italian blood in me. By the way:

Quote from: SSA.gov
Link is not in the top 1000 male names for any year of birth in the last 100 years.
Please enter another name.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 10:46:31 PM »
Hmm.. I did a search for Mario.

EDIT: Took out the link.. The interesting thing about searching for Mario was that the name was rank 128 in 1992
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:06:31 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 10:53:12 PM »
Well, you can't link something with POST data like that... Mario's got rank 178 in 2006.

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2007, 11:04:23 PM »
Michael's a pretty good name, Steve. I like it. :D

Anyway I have a good feeling I'm not going to have any kids. If there was a chance that I did though, I'd probably give it an odd name, hoping children wouldn't make fun of it.

Or, give them an odd full name, but give a nickname sounds completely normal. A guy named Loser Lane would usually be called "Lou" by his friends.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2007, 10:30:48 AM »
MaxVance is correct, I meant the Colorado list.

I don't know about what I would name my kids, but I sure WOULDN'T name my kids:

Boy: Bartholomew

Girl: Bertha

For some reason I just dislike both names. Also it annoys me when people name their kid something normal and then spell it totally crazy. "What's your name?" "Jaycub." "Kehlee." "Cleigh."
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 10:32:40 AM by bobman37 »

Print