Print

Author Topic: The Harry Potter Thread *spoilers possible*  (Read 17647 times)

« on: July 19, 2007, 09:27:28 PM »
As per the title, you can discuss the books and/or movies here. I thought I would start this up and see how many hits we get before 48 hours from now, when the final Harry Potter book (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) has been released. If you know of any of book seven's spoilers, keep them out of this thread please!

Also, people who haven't read all the other books might want to steer clear of this thread unless you want crucial plot points spoiled for you. You have been forewarned..

Now..

Do you think Sirius Black is coming back? Do you think the Mirror of Erised will make another appearance? Do you think that Dumbledore's predictions about the Horcruxes are right? Do you think Harry will live to see the end of the final book?

Share your opinions.

EDIT: Title now marked for spoilers.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 09:35:05 PM by Toad »
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 09:31:14 PM »
May want to warn of spoilers in the thread title.

Spoilers are pretty inevitable when it comes to discussing a book series as largely successful as Harry Potter.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:55:18 PM »
I think one of the more mature and developed storylines in Rowling's series is the matter of death.  She's mature enough to let a dead character remain dead(headmaster), and so I think she wouldn't revive someone like Sirius who has passed away in the fight for good.

I think that Snape is not evil.  I think that Dumbledore planned his death so that Snape could appear truly evil and secretly fight Voldemort from the inside.  Perhaps I only believe this theory because it's just barely possible, and it would be very entertaining and "twisty".

RAB is probably Regulus Black, although I loved coming up with theories like Roberta "Bertie" Botts.

I wouldn't mind Harry dying or living in the end.  His destiny in the series leads me to believe that if he has to die, so be it for the good of all.  It would also mirror Jesus' death and resurrection to save us all, so maybe more religious opposers of Harry Potter will lighten up. Probably not, but whatever, not everyone is Christian anyway.  If he lives, I guess that would be happier, but if any of the students are going to die, I think it should be him.  Someone like Ron or Luna or someone dying seems a bit out of the blue, and more unexpected and perhaps undeserved as characters.

Of all the possible people to die, I suspect Snape will, in his death attempt to save the wizarding world from Volemort.  Now that's climactic!

As for the movies, I do not enjoy them as much as the books, and only really enjoyed PoZ and OotP.  The others were okay, but only because I love the books, otherwise I probably wouldn't be so accepting.  It would be like seeing Lord of the Rings, which I saw and barely enjoyed because of the special effects and epic battles.

My least favorite book was Chamber of Secrets, which lacked the excitement of a whole new world like the first book had, and because the greater scheme of things wasn't as prominent as it is in the more recent books what with Harry fighting for more than himself in a larger group of interesting wizard characters.

That's all I have to say for now, but I am keen to respond to others' posts.  *APPARATE*
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 02:37:56 AM »
I also believe that Snape is not completely evil, and that the death of Dumbledore was planned. Or maybe I'm just feeling sorry for him because of his bad childhood.

Anyway, I saw Order of the Phoenix not more than an hour ago. I saw Transformers the previous day. Here's a summarization of the impressions I imparted in #TMK...

<opinion> Maybe I'm just angsty about the language and crude humor, but I think that the Order of the Phoenix was much better than Transformers. Order of the Phoenix was much, much less violent than Tranformers. And it had 90% less bad language and sexual references. <Nutjob> Should have said 99%. </Nutjob> Hmm... How about 90% and 100%, respectively. Order of the Phoenix was nice and scary, I think. </opinion>

Lizard Dude later mentioned that "...when that Transformer peed on that dude...that was awesome." Chalk another mark up for crude humor.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 02:39:42 AM by Suffix »

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 03:33:23 AM »
If Snape didn't kill Dumbledore and Malfoy failed in his task, Snape would have died as a result of the Unbreakable Vow. imo, Snape was bluffing that he knew what was going on in the second chapter, and when he found out he went to Dumbledore, who told him to go ahead with it, hence why Snape argued with him in the Forest and why he looked so angry before he cast the Killing Curse; he hated himself for having to do such a horrible task.

EDIT: spoiler tagz
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 07:11:43 AM »
Here are the last few sentences from the new book!

"And just at that moment, as Lord Voltemore uttered the words Firelus Laturels, and the fireball was hurled toward Harry's war torn body, a strange sound was heard by all. It was the teapot. "Harry, get up, you sleepy, it is time for crumpets." Harry did not wait for a second invitation. Over tea, Harry recounted the strange dream to grandmother Rowling..."   

Can you tell I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan?

Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 02:32:39 PM »
WHY DID YOU JUST SPOIL US?! AND SUCH A HUGE SPOILER TOO. AGH

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 06:55:34 PM »
Based on the spoilers I read for Book 7, I have to say the ending sounds like it really, really sucks. Not in the depressive, non-closure way, more like a "Ugh, that's just poorly written" way.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Sunbun

• Tapcap
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 09:32:51 PM »
Thanks to DeepDiscount.com, I got my HP7 book around 2pm Pacific Time today, seven hours before the NY launch and ten before the LA launch.

As an incentive for ordering with someone who shipped the books out early and ended up allowing spoilers to be posted over the internets, Scholastic called me up and said that I should not read it until midnight tonight. I will receive a $50 credit for their bookstore and a collectable t-shirt.

That's great. I wasn't planning to read it, anyway. Not until I read books 5 and 6.

Oh, and I lol at false spoilers.
"Sunbun is...doing whatever Sunbun does" -WarpRattler

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 03:13:00 AM »
k, I've read the final book (I got it a few minutes after launch @ 9:01am, and after getting home @ 9:30am I read continuously, finishing @ 1:30pm) and it's a very good ending to the series, imo. It was lacking a certain something, but was a good read nonetheless. :]
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 12:47:31 AM »
I also read it in less than 24 hours from its release, and I was very pleased.  It was very entertaining, and I was touched enough by the story that I doubt any criticism of the literary quality or entertainment value can alter the depth of the messages it showed me.  No, it didn't change my life and I'm not claiming anything superficial like that; however, I do insist that very solid messages and comparisons are in that book, no matter how boringly or childishly one may believe they were presented.  I have no say over the true quality of her execution, and maybe her story isn't delivered as eloquently as other writers.  I can see no flaw, but perhaps I am as inexperienced a reader as she is a writer.  So what?  Her story's lessons still stand, and I am fortunate to enjoy them as well.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 07:47:06 PM »
I forgot to mention.

On Saturday, after a long day of work, and right before heading over to K-Mart to buy the book, I ate at a Hometown Buffet and spoiled the ending for a couple of little kids. Accidently of course, because I was just discussing it with my sister casually and didn't notice them next to us.

It was a great relief because I wanted to crash a Harry Potter launch party but never got around to it because no one was willing to give me a ride.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 02:09:37 PM »
Okay, trying to avoid giving anything away, I'll just say this.  At the end, before the epilogue, I think Rowling ended it too abruptly.  I think she should have given more on the events directly following the finale.  But, all in all, I really like this one.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 04:18:29 PM »
I didn't like the ending. I didn't like how harry named his kid Albus. I didn't like how harry learned everything from Dumbledore in "heaven" (King's Cross). I didn't think it was well written at all. Also the book seemed like not much happened while Harry Ron and Hermione were hiding in their tent. That was like, the whole book. It was odd to find out that Ron was gone at Christmas, it felt like it had only been like two weeks. Otherwise it was a good book

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 09:48:02 PM »
Ok, so I've read it, and I must say that it's a very good piece of literature. It's not the best, mind, but it closes the series nicely. The ending felt a little un-neccassary, like she just added it on at the last minute or was trying to hard for the happily ever after ending, because the last chapter of the book could have stood without the epilogue.

There is are still a few things I wonder about the series, though: I forget which book it was in, but I remember it was near the end.. It says something about Dumbledore's eyes glowing with a looking of triumph that was gone the next second. Did we ever figure out what that was and I just forgot?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print