Print

Author Topic: SSBB: The Subspace Emissary  (Read 5392 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: August 03, 2007, 02:21:05 AM »

Tonight's DOJO!! update was pretty robust (it even used that exact word!), detailing the new single player adventure mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. A side-scrolling action mode entitled "The Subspace Emissary", the story is put together by quick movies that focus on character development. With that in mind, the famous faces you see will have their own personality based on their game history, giving them more depth than we're probably used to seeing.

Check out a new little movie, and a bunch of new screenshots, at the DOJO!!

Update: As pointed out by Mr. Dayton, Peach was also confirmed as a character (playable? Maybe, probably). See, this update was so huge that there were new details within new details. Also, who's that girl that Kid Icarus is facing? Hmmm..

Link: Smash Bros. DOJO!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 04:27:08 AM by Super-Jesse »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:19:05 AM »
It might be Plalutena. They have to have non-player character cameos. Either that or she's an assist trophy.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 06:50:32 AM »
Do you have to smash a beaker of red stuff to get there?

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 07:45:36 AM »
I saw Peach in the video...I'm pretty sure this means she's playable, no?

Anyway, I'm getting more excited about the game every day. We finally have a side-scrolling adventure like we did in Meele!
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
Yeah, I just saw this on the site a few minutes ago! I was shocked at what they did to the single-player mode. Not to say that Melee had a bad one. I also like the ideas of the short movies! I believe that Peach is playable, seeing as she is using her umbrella and appearing with Zelda to help Mario and Kirby.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 08:00:02 AM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 09:10:34 AM »
When I saw the name of the update, I immediately thought of SMB2 for some odd reason...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 09:21:01 AM »
heh, me too. Well this update pretty much confirmed Peach, so that automatically makes it awesome, but the idea of this single player looks awesome as well, the idea of it having a story only gives more possibilities.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 12:22:57 PM »
This is like the Story mode from DOA, I think. This is so awesome. Peach made it moreso. :D I love story modes <3
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 12:33:35 PM »
Hmm... some things to consider:

-Subspace is from Sub-con, which is the land of dreams, and Kirby's home country is Dreamland. Brawl, like the SSB games before it, contains plenty of throwbacks to and inspirations by the Kirby series, which makes sense given that they were thought up by the same guy. Other games involving dream realms, such as Link's Awakening, are known to contain lots of improbable cameos by characters from other franchises, the Kirby series included. I might be grasping at straws with this one, but it's still something to think about.

-The fact that this is supposed to be a game within a game reeks of Kirby Super Star, which SSB is already known for having lots of concealed references to. I'm certain Sakurai was thinking of that when he decided to bill the Adventure Mode as it's own little game and give it a title.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 01:15:34 PM »
I'm stull wondering how Meta Knight is involved. Is he directly responsible, or was the Halberd just hijacked?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 03:01:23 PM »
Or will it turn out like many Kirby games, an action which seems taken with ill-intent, but later turns out to be to prevent an even greater evil from triumphing?

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 04:29:16 PM »
That's what I was assuming when I wondered if Meta Knight did it.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2007, 06:28:31 PM »
Part of me thought that Meta Knight caused the evil guys to show up by accident and now he's out to correct his mistake before any real damage is done, but I'll bet Megabyte's right on the money.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 08:02:10 PM »
Well, duh Peach is in the game.

Subspace Emissary... I personally wouldn't have picked the name, but a real story/whatever mode is AWESOME!!! (fans shall be analyzing those screens and video footage with no end in sight...)
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 09:18:51 PM »
The video shows that those clouds were just clouds. I hope people don't end up "finding" things in the other photos.

Print