Print

Author Topic: Miyamoto says: Games must be fun  (Read 4354 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: August 14, 2007, 01:41:05 AM »

Weekly Famitsu caught up with Miyamoto and asked him a few questions concerning ideologies on game development. Nintendo's latest strategy has been leaving many without needing a strategy guide, to say the least. The companies focus on casual, easy to play games is indeed a dramatic turn for the company that has brought us quite a few complex adventures, ranging from Metroid to Zelda. However, our good old friend Miyamoto is quick to point out that the company simply wants to make games fun to play. "We need to release more games which feel like games. It is important that people who are playing them feel that the games are indeed fun to play," states the legendary game designer. He says that idea has been the focus during the development of Super Mario Galaxy.

"Now there is this concept I always focus on, which is you have to feel the fun of a game by only trying it, and that concerns Super Mario Galaxy, of course. Should it be fun by only playing it a short time, this indicates already it has a big value as a product… It is very important that the full fun of the game is being felt in the first stage 1-1.”

To read a translated summary of the entire article, click the link below!

Link: Next Generation
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 01:44:14 AM »
Miyamoto went on to say: Food must taste good.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 08:48:43 AM »
I don't want Nintendo to do only casual games, and I want hardcore adventures as much as the next guy, but he's right. I mean, when people ask why I'm kinda a Nintendo fanboy... Well, games are supposed to be fun, and for the most part, Nintendo's fun.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 10:29:54 AM »
Hardcore adventures definitely need to be fun.
That was a joke.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 12:10:53 PM »
Indeed games must be fun and not something like a job or something frustrating. (something I always forget)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 03:13:06 PM »
A game doesn't have to be easy to be fun. I don't remember ever thinking, "Ugh, this is a terrible game," seriously when I was bad at Super Mario World. But... I also don't remember... if I was ever as bad as my friends are. I could beat Bowser if I went the Star Road way... Hmmmm...
Oh, right. I used the cheats, codes, tips and tricks from TMK to get by. My first search on the Internet was probably for Mario, and I've been visiting TMK ever since.
Well, right, the point still is, games don't have to be easy to be fun. So long as you get addicted, it'll be easy to you one day. I don't think anyone should be able to pick up a Mario game the first time (as in, the first Mario game one ever plays) and be magically able to zoom through the levels and beat Bowser. Part of the fun, to me, is getting used to the game, and getting better at it. I learn new things about what you can and can't do in SMW every time I play. Example: any power-up, not just the Starman, will make a small Yoshi grow instantly. Reserve items work.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:11:43 PM »
Mega Man games are some of the hardest and some of the most fun. I rest my case.
That was a joke.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 12:17:05 AM »
I wonder what Miyamoto considers difficult nowadays.  Supposedly he started making Super Mario Galaxy too difficult, but I don't know what that really means in the face of so many of Nintendo's recent games being easy.
But then, there's also a difference between difficult and just plain tedious.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 07:44:20 PM »
It's okay to make easy to play and fun games, but Mr. Miyamoto should keep others how they were the whole time (Mario, Metroid, Zelda, etc.). What I'm saying is that Nintendo can create a totally new franchise based on casual gamers, while keeping the hardcore fans satisfied with more of the same old franchises they grew up with.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print