Print

Author Topic: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Finally enough Hoo Beans for the Piranha Suit!  (Read 29944 times)

« on: February 10, 2009, 05:25:05 PM »
For the longest time, people (including myself) have wanted to get the Piranha Suit, rather than the Piranha Swing badge, from the Piranha Bean boss. However, as only Luigi fights it, you cannot use the Swing Bros. attack, and until July 2008, no one had found enough Hoo Beans to make the final drink necessary for the Game Boy Horror SP.

Now, nearly all of the hidden Hoo Beans in the game are indicated on the following map sections. Check out Peardian's original M&L: SS maps on www.vgmaps.com for the complete maps of these areas.

Two beans are unaccounted for, as supposedly, "...an elevated platform that’s right up against the western wall in a small room [in Joke's End] features an Invisible Block", and "A tiny, elevated platform up against the northern wall [of some unclarified part of Bowser's Castle] is surrounded by lava. An Invisible Block floats above this tiny platform." Both are very ambiguous statements, and both Joke's End and Bowser's Castle are playable after the surfing minigame is accessible.

There is also rumor of a hidden block(s) in Chateau de Chucklehuck, but this could be a confusion with the hidden area containing a Super Nut, Super Syrup, and coins. Also, the Joke's End bean could possibly be located in the room indicatedwith the Scaratroopea and Snifit (marked with a "?").

I am unable to figure out the authenticity (and/or clear identity) of the locations of  these Hoo Beans, but at any rate, the 15 pre-Piranha Bean locations should be more than enough to get the Game Boy Horror SP before the boss.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 05:27:33 PM by jdaster64 »
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »
Those better be some classy pants.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 06:14:57 PM »
Wait, what? There are still secret items in M&L:SS that no one has gotten?

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »
But some of those locations (Joke's End) come after the Pirahna Bean fight.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:51:30 PM »
But some of those locations (Joke's End) come after the Pirahna Bean fight.

Yeah, I added them as extra reference. There are in all 27 hidden beans shown that appear before the fight, and around a dozen non-hidden blocks not shown.

@LD: As far as I know, it was fairly common knowledge that the Piranha Suit was the rare drop, but I couldn't find anything about anyone getting it - and proving it possible - without cheating until a post marked July 2008

@BP: HP-Auto Gain and DEF +30, same as the Wool Trousers, I believe.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
Wow. I didn't KNOW that there was a Piranha Suit in that game...this makes me want to find every Hoo Bean and get that suit...kinda.
Do you have any pictures of the Piranha Suit? And is it even worth getting if you (everyone) already beat the game? Maybe it causes a special ending? Argh! These questions need to be answered! Anyway, great discovery, jdaster64.
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 01:15:22 AM »
This makes me want to go back and try to find as many Hoo Beans as I can.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 08:45:11 AM »
Dang. I was playing this a few weeks back and was only one for two Hoo Beans short. I'll have to keep this in mind for next time.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 10:01:06 AM »
The Piranha Suit, I would presume, looks like any other pair of jeans in the game.

Also, note that the X shown above the yellow mushroom platform is incorrectly located, it should be on the far left yellow mushroom in that same area.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009, 09:39:56 PM »
There's a way to get something else from the Piranha Bean? How do you do that? And what does it do?

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 10:48:39 AM »
Get the Game Boy Horror SP (by making all of the drinks at the StarBeans cafe) and use it; the Piranha Suit gives +30 DEF and HP Auto-Gain.

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 11:05:53 AM »
Isn't there a chance even if it's minimal that the Piranha Bean will drop it without the Game Boy Horror SP?

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 01:16:09 PM »
Not sure, actually. Makes me wonder if the other gear and badges stored in the data but apparently otherwise unaccounted for (e.g. Safe Guard, Heavy Slacks, Bros. Respect) are drops from random enemies, say, 0.1% of the time. I guess there's no way of knowing...

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »
I jumped all over that mushroom in the Mushroom embassy, there was nothing there.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »
I jumped all over that mushroom in the Mushroom embassy, there was nothing there.

Sorry, it's on the far left mushroom, Spin Jump to get to it. I missed that one, so didn't confirm it until yesterday.

Print