Print

Author Topic: Why is it I didn't like M&L?  (Read 12642 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:26:59 PM »
I'm trying to wonder if I should get Bowsers Inside Story, but why?

I didn't even finish Superstar Saga and I barely played through Partners in Time, why waste $40 on Bowsers Inside Story?

I can't understand why I don't like these games. I loved Super Mario RPG and I loved the Paper Mario Games, what is wrong with the other set of RPGs?
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 12:37:07 PM »
Well, elaborate! What, exactly, turns you off to them?

Myself, I loved the first one and was iffy on the second. BIS, though... we'll see.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 05:40:19 PM »
Do you hate absurd wackiness?

Self-referential and depracating humor?

An intuitive and overly simple battle engine?

Reading?
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 06:00:25 PM »
It's probably the fact that is isn't an intrinsically fun game. That said, though, neither is Paper Mario.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 09:27:27 PM »
Define "intrinsically" (at least in the context of videogames).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 10:44:37 PM »
Meaning, I had to try to like it.
That was a joke.

Sqrt2

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:59:47 PM »
For me I think the M&L games are too much like normal RPG's. All the bosses have 500+ HP, and most of the time I'm not sure if I'm actually doing any damage. Also having to time hammer swings to deflect projectiles, is completely beyond me.
AA fanboy and proud!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »
Oh man, counterattacking was the best part of M&L's battle system, after Bros. Attacks.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »
The bosses really only had a bazillion HP in PiT, because the battle system was poorly swayed towards using only Bros. Attacks. Either you used Red Shells for every round or you spent an hour trying to kill someone.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 07:48:02 PM »
Haha wow, I think the M&L games are too little like "normal" RPGs. That said, I did beat the first one. Second one just had super boring battles and though I got pretty far I never finished it.
That was a joke.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »
When I beat Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time, I felt...empty. Unlike its successful predecessor Mario and Luigi: SuperStar Saga, there was NO replay value whatsoever and it lacked a lot of minigames. Plus, the entire plot/story was rather chilling and depressing at times. So I traded it in for something more enjoyable, and I have no regrets in doing so. M&L:PiT may have been somewhat of a flop, but it doesn't mean that M&L:BIS will be. Outside of Japan, Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story hasn't been released yet, and it looks pretty promising, so we'll see.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:16:59 PM by FlamingBlueMario »
"It's vital to reflect occasionally on whether one is overdoing whatever it is one person is doing." ~Toadsworth

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 01:14:33 AM »
I'm just hoping that this title will, unlike its predecessors, actually give the player permanent recognition for having beaten the game. Little in this world is more frustrating than completing a game, only to discover that its programmers have pulled a Groundhog Day on you by not offering an oppurtunity to save after the credits, forcing you to restart at the last save point before the final boss... as if you had never fought it. I was pleasantly surprised to find that PM:TTYD's final foe can indeed be vanquished for good, and seeing that proposes a glimmer of hope for Bowser's Inside Story's ending.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »
Plus, the entire plot/story was rather chilling and depressing at times.
I liked the dark story. It was an interesting change of pace. I agree about being able to save after the final boss, too; there's all of those little extras and such that are fun to go for after beating the game.

I have no doubt that I'll like Bowser's Inside Story; I liked the previous two, and even though Partners in Time was my least favorite Mario RPG, it wasn't a bad game by any means, or even a mediocre one. Plus, I can't wait to see how the storyline turns out. Experiencing the story is one of my favorite parts of a video game, which is why I hate excuse plots and the like.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 10:26:59 AM »
Weegee: Play 99% of other RPGs. Not being able to save after the end is kind of a convention. Unless it has New Game +.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 12:01:57 PM »
I don't know which I prefer. Most last bosses don't give experience points (the Shadow Queen gives you one star point), so aside from dialog changes there's no difference between beating the last boss and 100%ing, and going back before the last boss, 100%ing, and still having the boss the fight.

EarthBound did it fine. You can explore the entire world of the game after beating Giygas and most everybody will have something nice to say, the only enemies that can possibly be left are extremely difficult to avoid in the main story so they're sure to be dead already, when your whole party has left you can ride the bike in the Deep Darkness, and generally go about until you're as bored of it as you are of Paper Mario 2's post-game playability. But you can't save and you'll still be able to fight Giygas when you reset.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print