Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 165984 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #495 on: November 30, 2009, 07:29:40 AM »
This is the legit console 2D Mario platformer that people have been pining for since the Fungi Forums was founded and I quite like it, but when the four-player was announced I got my hopes up that it would actually be designed for four players, like Four Swords. I was disappointed to see that it's just a normal-style Mario game with multiple people playing at once. There weren't any four-man switches or enemies that required double-teaming or splitting codependent paths or anything like that.

On the other hand, those things would be extremely hard to do for those of us who have no social lives [s[and live in our mothers' basements, living on beer and nachos and going solo through the game because we just had a falling out with our geeky friends about the correct pronunciation of "Hab SoSlI' Quch!"[/s]  And Nintendo would probably be too lazy to program it so that such obstacles only appear when you have more than one player.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #496 on: November 30, 2009, 11:08:15 AM »
I don't "not" have a social life (though its not that lively), my friends would just rather play Modern Warfare 2 than NSMBW.

[darnit], I need MW2 and a wireless router, my 360 doesn't seem to want to connect wired.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #497 on: November 30, 2009, 11:24:20 AM »
I was hoping it would have Four Swords-style stuff in 4P mode or something, but I'm glad the 1P experience is a classic Mario game.
That was a joke.

« Reply #498 on: November 30, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »
I was disappointed to see that it's just a normal-style Mario game with multiple people playing at once. There weren't any four-man switches or enemies that required double-teaming or splitting codependent paths or anything like that.

I've never known a dedicated Mario fan IRL, and countless others are certainly in the same boat. However, the levels could've been slightly altered for the multiplayer experience. Really, it's impressive that Nintendo didn't impose CPU co-op on unsuspecting players in certain levels.

in single-player, I maxed out towards the beginning of World 3 (left World 1 with around 40 lives) without visiting any 1-Up houses or repeating any levels

How uncanny: That's exactly my case, save for that I repeated some levels to complete my Star Coin collection before progressing.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #499 on: November 30, 2009, 03:52:37 PM »
Both mandatory single-player and mandatory four-player would have allowed for more focused game design. By allowing 1-4 players, the level designers were forced to take the "jack of all trades, master of none" approach and NSMBW is a weaker game for it. With all the classic single-player 2D Mario games and especially with the single-player NSMB, Nintendo should have had the courage to develop a true four-player Mario platformer. Stop repeatedly imposing the requirements of your lonely lives into my dream games.

« Reply #500 on: November 30, 2009, 04:03:32 PM »
Stop repeatedly imposing the requirements of your lonely life into our dream games.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #501 on: November 30, 2009, 04:10:55 PM »
What just happened here?
That was a joke.

« Reply #502 on: November 30, 2009, 04:20:08 PM »
When I realized that Mario loses his hat when you reach 99 lives, I was hoping that this would be the first appearance of cap-less Toads in a Mario game.  Sadly, I can confirm today that only Mario loses his hat at max lives.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #503 on: November 30, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »
Not even Luigi?

Maybe they should've abolished the whole star coin/super skills/secret exit movie crap and focused on making some multiplayer-dedicated levels or something.

Sure, star coins would have to serve a different purpose if that were so, but do you see this new pattern emerging? Nintendo focusing on trying to shove crap into the game that is not really needed while other things possibly suffer as a result?

NSMB Wii: Focusing on putting replays in the game (which are pointless) instead of focusing on solid multiplayer levels (which it needed).

Smash Bros Brawl: Focusing on putting the "Masterpiece" demos in there (which are pointless) instead of focusing on other aspects of the game (which, arguably, it needed).

It just makes me think: are they gonna muck up Galaxy 2? Are they gonna focus on Rosalina's story book and make dozens and dozens of chapters (like NSMB Wii having dozens and dozens of hint movies) or something?
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #504 on: November 30, 2009, 08:01:30 PM »
Miyamoto's already stated there should be less of a story in SMG2, so I think you might be lucky there.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #505 on: November 30, 2009, 08:07:32 PM »
I'm aware. I just used that as an example.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #506 on: November 30, 2009, 09:04:32 PM »
Man. You people can't be satisfied with anything.
That was a joke.

« Reply #507 on: November 30, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »
Maybe they should stop making games. They are pointless anyway. We don't accomplish anything by playing them. We just sit around and argue and complain and try to come up with ideas for why things work the way they do in this crazy, made-up world.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #508 on: December 01, 2009, 04:42:01 AM »
I was just making a suggesting: "Maybe they should've..."

It's not like we're trolling around screaming "NSMB WII SUCKZ. IT HAZ NO YOSHIZ FOR ALL LEVLS AND I DUN LIEK TEH HINT MOOVIES WAAHHHH" in an immature manner or anything like that. We're offering our opinions just to... well, offer our opinions and receive feedback. Yeah, there's a lot of suggestions and opinions we're throwing around, but if we sit around and just put everything Nintendo gives us on a mantle like its a gift from God, then the quality of future products could possibly go down with Nintendo knowing that people are gonna eat up whatever they produce.

I'm not mad at Nintendo or anything... and I still really enjoy NSMB Wii like I've said numerous times... but I don't understand something. It's like we can't say what we want to about the game because:

DUDE STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE GAME.... YOU CAN HAVE UP TO FOUR PLAYERS SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!!! HOW AWESOME IS THAT. THAT BASICALLY ABOLISHES ANY OTHER FLAWS OR STRANGE DESIGN CHOICES WITHIN THE GAME.

4 (FOUR, VIER, QUATTRO) PLAYERS. STOP WHINING N COMPLAINING TRENMAN/LIZURD DOOD/ETC. CUZ WE FINALLY HAVE FOUR PLAYERS.

« Reply #509 on: December 01, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
The Four Swords adventures in the Zelda series had four players. That's... kind of like that.

As for Smash Bros. Brawl, I thought the complaint there was that Sakura (I say Sakura because he was the "star" of those SSB updates, to the point that it seemed like he was the only guy working on the game) was more interested in throwing in random extras than how the game played. I never got the impression that the Masterpieces were where he focused his time. I got more of the impression that he was including an endless number of songs.

But you know, I don't play competitive Smash Bros. and I don't know what a wavedash is, so any gameplay faults go over my head. Is the game slower than Melee? Maybe, I don't know, but it's still difficult enough as-is at times. I do get the feeling it's not as awesome as I thought it would be, but that's likely because Melee already exploded expectations and that this was more of the same - a game that explodes expectations, yet it wasn't as much of a leap over Melee as Melee was over the original.
You didn't say wot wot.

Print