Print

Author Topic: PS2 Problems  (Read 5747 times)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« on: February 10, 2010, 07:47:42 PM »
So my PS2 is rather finicky about playing some games (I've seen the problem occur with just about every disc in my library, but some have the problem more than others).  It's like this: when I put a disc in the tray, it generally loads up to the main title for just about any/every game.  Depending on which game, I can play through some or even most of the game before... it starts.  The PS2 starts whining and grinding and clicking and generally making this unearthly sound that I'm not sure how to describe. 

Now, I had been having this problem a while ago, and took it to get fixed.  They said the laser reader was out of alignment.  They realigned it or whatever, charged me about $50, and I took it home.  All was well.

...or at least, so it seemed.  But then, a few months later, I tried playing a game (Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi, if it's relevant), and when I got to a certain point in the game the PS2 started glitching up and making the dreaded aforementioned indescribable noises.  Since then, the system has been somewhat unreliable as to what games it will play.  Some, such as Kingdom Hearts 2 or Sly 2, may or may not glitch out, but I can usually play them through from start to finish if I so desire.  Others, such as Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal, will almost never play without problems.

I've tried the games out on the PS2 at my grandma's.  All with the exception of Budokai Tenkaichi work perfectly well there, so I know the problem is with the system, not the discs.  So, is this the laser reader again?  If so, that electronics place owes me about $50 for a shoddy job.  If not, does anyone here have any other ideas?

One more thing: my PS2 is the big, fat, original design, not the slim model.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 08:15:31 PM »
It could be the laser alignment, or something more serious. Try using a CD laser cleaner as dirt and crap may build up on the laser over time and the noise could be the laser trying to read the disc but it is being blocked by the crud.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »
PS2 lasers are notorious for burning out this long into the console's life. Depending on how disgustingly dirty your house is, it could be dirt in the laser track again (through no fault of the repair place), dirt on the lens (see nenson) or the laser burning out. Or something else. Who knows?
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 08:35:22 PM »
Hm, maybe I shouldn't have been so quick to not look into a backward compatible PS3.  But I'd like to think that the system has a little longer to "live"...

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
Bumping this because I'm getting desperate and I figure I might as well on the off-chance someone has something else to say.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 03:30:53 PM »
I will fix your PS2 for $99.99. I guarantee it will work good as new.

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 05:50:13 PM »
If you want to risk your PS2, you could open it up and do stuff yourself. Under the PS2 (if you have it on its side) there will be a few black squares. Pry them off and take off the rubber feet. Then you will find some phillips screws. Unscrew them, and you're in. Try checking the gears and CD drive stuff.

Print