Print

Author Topic: Should Justin Bieber just die?  (Read 8317 times)

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« on: February 21, 2010, 01:26:16 PM »
What is he adding to the recording arts industry? Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

I'm sick of how the music business works. Each new singer gets so popular one week, then the next nobody cares for it anymore. What happened to Lady Gaga? I remember she used to be all over the radio, now nobody cares because its all about this Justin Bieber. Whats worse is these people think they are destined to be world famous just because they're famous now, but its just a fad. I guarantee by the Summer, nobody is going to be listening to Justin Bieber anymore, then he'll wind up on a VH1 "Celebrity" show to try reclaim his 15 minutes of fame.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:58:47 PM »
Justin who?

Timberlake? No, don't know him either.

If each new singer gets popular one week and then shafted the next, then even artists who do genuinely add something new to the industry might get dumped for some other wonderboy/girl. I'm more ticked off at the music industry for being too restrictive over what constitutes "fair use" and their tendency to exaggerate money lost over pirated music (personally I don't see why the cost should be how much it took to produce versus how much it costs for the consumer to buy it legitimately, because no consumer would buy it at the production price. And this is usually stuff that is readily available, so there's no reason to charge the production price. So let's stop talk of VHS tapes costing $100 or every individual music track costing like $10,000).

Granted, if I think about it, the complaints I have regarding fair use of music are just because "it's up on YouTube, it's either an obscure song by itself or it's a song set to an AMV to give it an extra punch, this is clearly illegal use of music because it's an alternative to buying the song but I don't want it to be illegal". But similarly, if it is indeed difficult to get something legitimately, I don't see why it shouldn't be dumped into the public domain immediately. If they stopped selling something, it tells me they don't expect to make any more revenue off it. So open it up.

As for individual singers I think should die, that'd include anyone who decides to be mean to the press and act like they're gods. I generally don't care what goes on in the lives of music artists (unless I really really like them - Weird Al for one), so don't go parading it around. I let the music talk for them on whether I think they're good or not.

But then there was Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas who had an awesome though ridiculous excuse:
"I may not have the type of voice you like, but I can sing. You can't take that away from me, 'cause singing is a gift from God, and when people say I can't sing, it's kind of like insulting God."
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:03:09 PM »
I never listen to any of these popular artists because they all suck. All cultural phenomenons like Youtube all exacerbate my opinions. Not all music from 2000 and above is bad but most of it is. Music was better 20 years ago and before... at least it had meaning.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:04:51 PM by nensondubois »
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 02:43:53 PM »
Music from twenty-plus years ago sucked and was meaningless too.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:29:30 PM »
...So says the guy who listens to airheaded Japanese game-soundtrack pop.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »
Justin who?

Perfectly sums it up.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:06:46 PM »
...seriously, who is Justin Bieber?

I must be getting old if I'm not even aware of who or what's "in" right now. First there was those Twilight books, now its this Justin Bieber guy. To think my younger brother and cousins don't even tell me about this when they're the typical anti-establishment type of kids.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 04:25:24 PM »

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 05:46:46 PM »
I don't have the slightest idea what this thread is about, but I give a big thumbs-up to Zabadak.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 06:45:30 PM »
I must be getting old if I'm not even aware of who or what's "in" right now. First there was those Twilight books, now its this Justin Bieber guy. To think my younger brother and cousins don't even tell me about this when they're the typical anti-establishment type of kids.
Same. I don't recognize any of today's cartoon characters anymore, except the stalwart Spongebob. One comic strip long ago had a father saying he was getting old since he no longer recognized what people were dressing up as for Halloween.

But Twilight, yeah, that just came out of nowhere for me. And it looks like the perfect pop "in" thing too: some guy with a frowning face in just about any promotional piece. I guess a frown is the new smile. And vampire shows in general. What the frick? Penny Arcade already made a prediction on what the next fad will be.

I for one am glad to see a sharp decrease in the number of CGI animal films (maybe studios realized they shouldn't compete against Pixar), but it looks like we're still stuck with an influx of horror films.

Wikipedia's article on Justin Bieber. Some Canadian pop star who made it big on YouTube. I guess the reason we're hearing about him is that the screenshot in the article was when he was at the Nintendo World Store.

I guess I'm just glad I'm not hearing about Aaron Carter anymore.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:50:16 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »
What happened to Lady Gaga? I remember she used to be all over the radio, now nobody cares because its all about this Justin Bieber.
Are you sure you listen to radio, man? Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance" is currently number two on AT40. "Telephone" is 13th. "Paparazzi" is 27th.

Justin Bieber (whoever that is) is nowhere to be seen.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 07:02:58 PM »
I guess the reason we're hearing about him is that the screenshot in the article was when he was at the Nintendo World Store.

I made this topic to point out we have yet another untalented "star" in our midst that will be stale by Summer of '10

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 07:04:01 PM »
I've heard of him in passing, but that's just about all. It worries me to no end that a tenth-grader has already accomplished more than any of us ever will.

Of course, if it's any consolation, at least none of us look that [bundle of sticks]gy.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 07:08:54 PM »
Justin Bieber is a prepubescent singing dude that has become popular by infamy because, for some reason, everyone hates him. I have yet to determine why. Everyone's efforts should be directed toward Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 07:18:19 PM »
efforts

That's the best euphemism I've ever heard. Anyway, Mr. Beiber is despised simply for being the next Zac Efron, and, as such, shall just be another flash-in-the-pan.

Print