Print

Author Topic: Mario core/canon games?  (Read 14798 times)

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »
Seeing as the entire Mario franchise is thinly-veiled communist propaganda, perhaps the SMG/SMG2 paradox was intended as a lesson in blindly accepting historical revisionism, i.e. Doublethink.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »
In chronological order, I think these are the Mario games that can fit into a single canon. The others would be alternate universes (part of another canon) or what-if scenarios. I'll list them in the order of which I think they occured.

-*Yoshi's Island

-Donkey Kong

-*DK Junior

-Mario Bros.

-Super Mario Bros/ *Lost levels (both part of the same conflict).

-Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA version)

-Super Mario Bros. 3

-Super Mario World.

-Super Mario 64.

-Luigi's Mansion

-Super Mario Sunshine.

-Super Mario Galaxy.

-*Super Mario Galaxy 2

* I feel that some of these may be contradictory to the other games. Yoshi's Island, for example, seems to suggest that Mario and Luigi are from Mushroom Land, while Donkey Kong and Mario Bros. seem to suggest that they're from the "Real World". Maybe they could have somehow wound up in the real world and then ended up coming back as adults, but I think that kinda overcomplicates things.

Donkey Kong Junior potrays Mario as the antagonist, which basically contradicts Mario's heroic and friendly personality. Maybe Mario had a good reason to do it, but again, I don't think it needs to be that complicated.

The Lost Levels (Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2) was so similar to Super Mario Bros. that I think they're actually the same story; one just has different levels and some slight graphical changes.

I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is just a more light-hearted reimagination of the first Super Mario Galaxy. At the end of Super Mario Galaxy, Rosalina did that speech about the cycle of stars being reborn. Super Mario Galaxy 2, to me, is just that cycle. Maybe it will even lead to a canon split.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »
Seeing as the entire Mario franchise is thinly-veiled communist propaganda, perhaps the SMG/SMG2 paradox was intended as a lesson in blindly accepting historical revisionism, i.e. Doublethink.
Holy hell, the man's got a point.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 12:37:54 PM »
Maybe they could have somehow wound up in the real world and then ended up coming back as adults, but I think that kinda overcomplicates things.

Finally someone who understands. 8D

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 05:30:03 PM »
not convinced Bowser's Galaxy Reactor even could have destroyed the universe in the first place, because that's stupid bull[dukar]
It makes absolutely no scientific or logical sense, but it's also exactly the plot of J.J. Abrams's Star Trek movie, so I'd say it's not too bad for a Mario plot.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2012, 02:29:07 AM »
Everything is canon.

Everything.

Well maybe not. If anything the licensed games like Mario is Missing! and Hotel Mario are part of the Super Show continuity. Or something. I dunno.

Pretty much this.
Mario's world is a place where pretty much anything can happen, be it an adventure, a dream, a play, a retelling of an adventure, or a gathering of well known figures to play sports, race or do party games together.

The only games that aren't canon in my opinion, are the licensed games and Super Smash Bros. And even Smash Bros now has it's own canon with the trophy world they showed us in Brawl.

Sqrt2

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
What's all this talk about  "canon"? The Super Mario series has no officially recognised canon, thus this thread is nothing but pure fan-speculation.
AA fanboy and proud!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 03:00:57 PM »
Speculation about what, exactly?

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
Which Mario games are the core, apparently.

This one is easy to solve: How many Mario games have canons?
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Print