Print

Author Topic: Nintendo announces new Yoshi and Mario games for Wii U  (Read 11453 times)

Deezer

• Invincible
« on: January 23, 2013, 03:12:29 PM »
New Yoshi, 3D Mario, and Mario Kart games for Wii U were announced during today's Nintendo Direct webcast.

Good-Feel, the developer of Wario Land: Shake It! and Kirby's Epic Yarn, is giving the "epic yarn" treatment to Yoshi's world for the dinosaur's first solo platforming adventure since Yoshi's Story. The webcast included a few seconds of game footage that featured Yoshi and Shy Guys made of yarn.

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata also revealed that the team behind the Mario Galaxy series and Super Mario 3D Land are developing the new Mario 3D action game.

No footage for the new 3D Mario or Mario Kart games was shown, but Iwata said that both will be playable at this year's E3.

Link: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/01-23-2013/
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:19:52 PM by Deezer »

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 05:01:22 PM »
I'm moderately excited for Super Linear Land.

As for Yoshi, I guess this had some truth to it after all.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 05:07:07 PM »
The same team made the Galaxies and 3D Land??

I never ever would have guessed.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 06:49:25 PM »
The new Yoshi looks like Little Big Planet. I also want that yarn Yoshi to be a real doll.

I wager the next new Mario will be Super Mario Galaxy 3, if not Super Mario 3D Land 2.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »
Super Mario Sunshine 2, anyone?

...Eh, probably not, sadly.

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 07:25:26 PM »
This is just me, but I highly doubt the "all new 3D Mario" is going to be remotely related to Galaxy or 3D Land. It'd be a complete waste to push for a sequel to either on a brand new system. Really exciting stuff, all the same.

That Yoshi game is suspiciously similar to Epic Yarn (understandably, duuuuuhhh), but if any other franchise would take the torch from Kirby, it would have to be Yoshi. Given the bizarre, colorful, arts-and-crafts style that are Yoshi platformers, a yarn-based game actually makes plenty of sense.
I'm a horrible person.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 07:26:02 PM »
3D Land's engine and way of handling powerups + Sunshine's world sizes and nonlinearity + Mario 64's style of star missions = my dream Mario game
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 07:39:21 PM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
3D Land's engine and way of handling powerups + Sunshine's world sizes and nonlinearity + Mario 64's style of star missions = my dream Mario game
You forgot Galaxy's hub style. And a 3D remake of the entire original game after you beat the game.
VVVERExSTFJCQVM=

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 08:07:16 PM »
Isle Delfino blows SMG's hub out of the water, son.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 08:31:58 PM »
Comet Observatory was pretty cool. But I think Peach's Castle wins my favor for the discovery factor. The first time through, as soon as you had enough stars to do so, taking on a Bowser level gained immediate priority. Doing that meant a new floor to look around. Delfino Plaza gets points for more or less being a world, though.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 09:13:20 PM »
Peach's Castle might be my favourite if not for the feeling of emptiness. The occasional immobile Toad isn't quite enough to keep the whole place from feeling eerie at times.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:33:16 PM »

I agree with this, more or less. I also think Mario should get a new flying power-up in this game. Personally I think it should be a jet pack. It could serve the same purposes FLUDD did (Hover Nozzle, Rocket Nozzle, Turbo Nozzle), just without having to refill it or use it to wash stuff off. It could also be used to fly like the Wing Cap via Banjo-style launch pads.

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »
I was hoping for a 3D Yoshi's Island-style game, but this one looks all right. I just don't like the yarn art style, but I'll judge it fairly once I see more of the game.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 03:35:31 PM »
I'll be honest, I put my hopes for a good Yoshi game away again pretty much instantly. No, it's not fair. But with the way no successor has even come close to Yoshi's Island, and with how [adjective] Shake It and Kirby's Yarn were, it does make sense to have low expectations...
It's YOUR problem!

Print