Poll

Are you for or against gay marriage?

For
27 (67.5%)
Against
13 (32.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Print

Author Topic: For or Against?  (Read 56952 times)

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« on: August 09, 2006, 10:56:37 PM »
This might've already been done, but I was just wondering what everyone's opinions on gay marriage were.

Myself, I am for it. Love is love after all. Homosexuals are people just like you and me, so shouldn't they have the same rights as any of us? Some people's defense is that the Holy Bible forbids anything homosexual, but the country isn't run by the Bible, so the what's in the Bible shouldn't always be in the Constitution. I mean, if we deny homosexuals rights, then essentially, we are sending our selves back in time. America has denied groups like women and African-Americans privileges in the past, so shouldn't we learn from that? That's what I think
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 12:33:11 AM »
I am for it. Not letting two people marry just because they're the same sex is pointless bigotry and just plain mean.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 12:44:00 AM »
In a place with many right-wing folk, I'd say that "against" will soon surpass "for" in the votes.

I am for it, myself. Here are my reasons:

• Marriage, as much as people with moral religious values don't want to think, is definitely not a religious thing anymore (I'm quite sure it has existed in SOME form even before religion did). It doesn't have to be done in a church, it can be done in courts, just about anywhere as long as someone with the power to unify a couple is present. Denying two men or two women this right is just downright stubborn, in my opinion. The Constitution implies that there is a wall between church and state, yet many of today's politicians still believe there is no such wall, and like to base federal and state laws on religious laws.

• Just like how civil rights were achieved, and women's rights were achieved (well, most, they still don't get paid as much as men. :/), homosexual rights will be definitely be achieved. "It is inevitable."

The state I currently live in is still debating whether or not same-sex marriages can be performed here. Many proposed bans on it have been shot down, as well as proposed laws allowing it. Here's to hoping they can be legal, eventually. :|

Any posts below mine:
Disagree with me if you'd like, fine. I don't care. But trying to start an argument by hocking a loogie on what I stand for is something I will not tolerate. Arguing on a topic such as this will get people nowhere. I am not going to change my beliefs just because you want me to.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 12:50:53 AM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 12:52:21 AM »
The Catholic religion kind of contradicts itself in this area. It basically says if you're gay, you are going to go to Hell. BUT, it also says if you have faith in God, you'll still wind up in Heaven. So what happens to gay Catholics? I'm for it, because all men (and women) are created equal.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 12:56:09 AM »
Arguing on a topic such as this will get people nowhere.

Then how does one get anywhere?

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2006, 12:58:43 AM »
Cars. :/
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2006, 01:19:50 AM »
Ideologically speaking.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2006, 01:24:58 AM »
View 1:  It's just a piece of paper.  People can still get "married" without the paper.  It may cause certain changes in the individuals taxes and other financial matters, but I don't see the big religious problem.  Besides, two women kissing is hot!

View 2:  It's a very slippery slope.  Why not allow marriage with parents, kids, dogs, computers?  That's just not right, it's Left.  "They" can already have a "civil union", why do they need to be "married".  Besides, two men kissing is gross!  Meh.

View 1 +  2:  Even though I'm one of, if not the only, married person here, I'm not for or against "gay" marriage and will therefor not vote.  It just doesn't seem really important to me either way.  It doesn't effect me either way.  If I were gay I might feel different. 

...all men (and women) are created equal.
I disagree with the "created equal" concept though.  The "created" part could be argued, but I will not go there.  The "equal" part is obviously wrong to me.  I don't have nor was I born with the ability to achieve Einstein's IQ, Michael Jordan's basketball scores, or even Lizard Dude's humor.  If the concept was "should be treated equal", I'd generally agree with that.  Just don't treat me like everyone else.

*Parts of this post were sarcastic.  I have desided not to specify what parts.  I've also choosen to include views here that are not my own in an effort to further discussion.

Edit:  I agree with Vids second post.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 01:27:01 AM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 01:46:37 AM »
Oh, don't give me that. You know what "created equal" means.
Why not allow marriage with parents, kids, dogs, computers? 
Hey, whaddabout that lady who married the dolphin? I don't want to see their kids... O_o
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 01:48:36 AM by Bird Person »
It's YOUR problem!

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 10:16:29 AM »
Don't be greedy; he was giving it to all of us. And I agree with that part.

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 01:07:36 PM »
I am 100% for gay marriage.  Everyone should try it at some point in their lives.
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 01:18:14 PM »
The Catholic religion kind of contradicts itself in this area. It basically says if you're gay, you are going to go to Hell. BUT, it also says if you have faith in God, you'll still wind up in Heaven. So what happens to gay Catholics? I'm for it, because all men (and women) are created equal.

False. Catholics have nothing against gay people. The problem lies witin the context of homosexual acttions. Since the Catholic faith teaches taht the purpose of sexual actions is for BOTH
A: Procreaition
and
B: To express true love and affection
The Church condemns those actions between gay lovers. It has nothign against the orientation. As St. Augustine said, Hate the sin, love the sinner.

I feel, that in no way are gay people bad. Why would someone CHOOSE to like people of hte same sex, and be ridiculed by society. I just feel that since sexual actions between gays would break one of the 2 reasons for sexual encounters, gay marrage shouldn't be allowed.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 01:31:02 PM »
Wow. A right-of-center forum and the "for" option is winning 10-3 as of this post. Shocking.

I'm for it. The only arguments I've heard against it are either ideological, which I don't believe in, or financial (people will turn gay just to reap marital benefits!), which I also don't believe in, because I honeslty can't decide why two people who are heterosexual would pretend to be gay just for a small monetary benefit. I mean, if they really are straight, I figure the psychological strain they experience pretending to be gay will more than offset the monetary gain.

That, and the fundies are against it. If the fundies are against it, and it's not illegal, I'm almost certainly for it.

People are not created equal by any stretch of the imagination. They deserve equal treatment, but some people are just better-crafted than others. (I honestly believe that one's success in life is determined 100% by luck, but this is for a different thread.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 01:33:43 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »
(I honestly believe that one's success in life is determined 100% by luck, but this is for a different thread.)
Crap.
It's YOUR problem!

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 03:37:34 PM »
For,but only because Aunt Terri is G**.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Print