Poll

Are you for or against gay marriage?

For
27 (67.5%)
Against
13 (32.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Print

Author Topic: For or Against?  (Read 57284 times)

« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2006, 01:27:54 AM »
*gears crank*

Say, isn't marriage a function that came through religion? My apologies if this has been brought up already.

I said I think marriage could have definitely existed in some from before religion. But, you know, could be wrong.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2006, 01:38:57 AM »
I'm fairly sure religion was invented first, whether marriage came about because of it or not.
That was a joke.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2006, 06:46:20 AM »
Marriage came from the Bible. In the verses I quoted before, do you notice how God said to Adam and Eve that they would be joined and become one? That's the first marriage right there. And it came from God.

In my last post, I listed that I knew the verses weren't the best to quote, as they, like I.S. put it, did not defy the right to gay marriage. Well, after a little researching, I have found more verses to support my argument. This time, I have found two verses in Leviticus 18. As I quoted them last time, they will be in NKJV (I know I didn't list that in my last post). These are the words of the LORD God.

22- "'You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. 23- Nor shall you mate with any animal, to defile yourself with it. Nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it. It is perversion.'"

As I said last time, I will still be on the look-out for verses with a little more substance and ones that fit cleaner in this argument.
@TEM- I cannot post an argument that is not supported by the Bible, as the Bible is all I need.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2006, 10:06:22 AM »
I think you're missing the point here. The idea was to see if you were capable of an argument without citing religious texts. But oh well.
Also... I *think* there was probably marriage before the Bible was written, so... yeah. As I said before, I think it may have come about in a variety of ways.
That was a joke.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2006, 12:38:21 PM »
Of course there was. The Bible was written way after Abraham and them. They got married.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

Jake

• Mr. Manure
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2006, 03:34:46 PM »
i support gay marriage
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 11:23:06 AM by Jake »
Professional Paisano here

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2006, 03:41:16 PM »
For. I see nothing wrong with gay marriage since it's essentially the same thing whether gay or straight. Two people deeply in love tying the knot and staying with each other until death.

Then again, divorce rates just climb higher and higher as time passes. Though I blame that more on school dropouts, celebrities and trailor trash.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2006, 04:25:23 PM »
Hm, I'm still actually quite surprised the poll is currently in favor of supporters.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2006, 06:16:22 PM »
Mr. Wiggles reminds me, I would much rather see marriage be taken more seriously (as in monogamy) as opposed to gay marraige. I'll never look at gay marraige in a completely positive light, but what I really can't stand is the amount of divorces that take place nowadays.

« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2006, 07:05:56 PM »
I'm not saying that gay marrige is bad or good. It's just that gays will be rejected in public and be made fun of for the rest of their lives. I personally hope that the government dosn't "OK" gay marrige.
[size=0pt]*Gays suck. Be straight, not gay. If you can read this text, you have really good eyesight.[/size]
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 10:18:36 AM by cantthinkofaname »
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2006, 07:11:35 PM »
I don't follow.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2006, 07:57:35 PM »
Mr. Wiggles and Suffix bring up an amazing point:

All the people who think that gay marriage "ruins the sanctity of marriage as an institution" should be even more outraged at celebrity marriage. Britney Spears, anyone?

Oh, as for "gays being rejected in public," I don't think that gays care what other people think of them if they're strong enough to file for a marriage license in today's sea of "I HAVE HIGHER MORALS THAN YOU."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 08:00:23 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2006, 10:35:49 PM »
Insane Steve does bring up a good point, which brings me to responding.
Bear with me; this will be extremely long. If you actually read this whole thing, I commend you, and I really appreciate it.

While I do not support gay marriage--or that lifestyle--I do not think of them as any worse or better than anyone else, including straight people. I find the lifestyles of, well, pretty much most straight people anymore, to be appalling. I don't agree with those lifestyles, but I don't judge them because who am I to do so? I have faults of my own, and there are things I don't like about myself, either. We need to care about people (in general, including gays) and love them wherever they're at in life, even if you disagree with them, and even if they don't like you or have hurt you.

Whether it's admitted or not, marriage is a religious institution. It's become more and more secular, but honestly, it really can't be separated from it. Think about it--why do people still get married today, and not simply live together (as many do, but still majority get married)? I mean, what is it that makes it any different? (Besides any benefits the government provides, which really isn't anything unless a spouse dies--but I doubt people want to think about that or plan on their spouse dying, unless they're sick-minded and twisted. The main benefit is health insurance, but that's not government related--it varies from company to company, so even if gay marriage was legalized/considered legitimate, I doubt all companies would immediately change their policies.) Pretty much the only real reasons for marriage are 1) religious, and 2) showing a deeper level of commitment.

With commitment, though, I really have to question that because over half of marriages end in divorce. Divorcing someone is more of a hassle, yes, than breaking up with someone you're living with, but still, it's very common, and doesn't stop people from doing it for virtually any--or no--reason at all. People may say they're committed, or plan on being so, but really, in today's world, are they? Many are, sure, but majority seems to say otherwise.

So pretty much, it goes back to religion. Even if people aren't religious at all, marriage is still seen as a societal "norm", and many people get married because it's the "acceptable" thing to do. Or, basically, marriage is a tradition. This tradition is tied to religious roots (even if not in the entire history of humankind (which I believe it does), at least from the religious roots of those who founded this country and of the people from the different cultures who came here (our ancestors, basically)).

Going back to the beginning, I do not think our society will be "horrible" and "immoral" and "hopelessly lost" if gay marriage was legalized and approved of everywhere, because, frankly, I believe our society in general is already at that point, regardless of homo***uality. Straight people have ruined the sanctity of marriage as it is, with easy divorce, less commitment in general, infidelity, and *** outside of marriage. It especially bugs me when straight people condemn gays simply because they like the same gender. (Yikes, I need to be careful that I don’t judge those people, either).

As I said earlier, I don't see gays as any better or worse than straight people. My problem is when people have *** outside of marriage, as I believe that is originally intended to be a holy, pure act of unity and love between a husband, wife, and, yes, God. (I understand not all of you believe this (or may not understand this), but since this is what I believe, it has an important impact on where I stand.)  Anyway, I believe *** has been totally twisted and distorted from its original intent and has become either a filthy, dirty thing in society, or has become so common and meaningless that everything pure and holy about it has been completely defiled and destroyed. (I also realize how ironic and/or fitting it is that I'm censoring the actual word.)

Now, because I see *** as something that should only be done within the context of marriage, one might think, okay, if gays are allow to marry, then they will be doing it within the context of marriage--which will make it okay, right?  The Bible, what I believe in (yes, again, I realize not everyone shares these beliefs) shows that God detests when "a man lies with another man," etc., so within the context of "marriage" or not, is really not the point. I don't want legalized gay marriage to become an excuse for gays to justify having ***, even if they wait until marriage, even if they're monogamous, because I still see that as wrong. (Honestly, though, I do see that as better than when two straight people sleep around with each other and with other people outside of marriage.)

Also, with gays, I do not judge them for being attracted to the same gender because, honestly, you really can't control how you feel about someone. Regardless if one is "born with it" or "choose to be gay", or anything in between, whatever it is people debate about, it doesn't really matter, because you can't control feelings. What you can control, though, is actions and even attitude. It's the actions--and especially the lifestyle--I have a problem with, not the individuals or the feelings; it's what you do with the feelings that matters.

I think that people need to stop pointing the finger at others, stop judging them and condemning them. No one is perfect, and no one is superior or inferior to others, at least in God's eyes. Judging people's souls or state of morals isn't in our place, because we're imperfect, too. (I realize this is hypocritical of me, because I’ve done that and probably still do; I don’t like it and am trying to work on that.) People need to look inside their own selves first before they look at others; it's so easy to make excuses for our own actions and point the blame or problem on someone else, or to play victim. (That's not to say others are innocent, but it starts with owning up to your own self, first). I'm totally going generic and universal now, so I'll stop. But what we need to do is love and respect others, even if you disagree with them, even if you don't like what they're doing. That doesn't mean you need to support them or keep quiet; you can tell someone you disagree or don't like something, as long as it's in a respectful, caring way (condescendingly is disrespectful, too). This can apply to people who disagree with the gay lifestyle, people who disagree with those who dislike the gay lifestyle, or to anyone about anything.

Again, I know not everyone believes in God or has different beliefs than me, and I respect that. Please respect what I have to say, even if you disagree. I will add this: God loves gays, God loves the people who judge gays, God loves the people who support gays, God loves those who don't judge gays, God loves those who insult and hurt others, loves those who have been hurt or insulted, God loves those who follow and believe in him, loves people who don't believe in him, God loves those who hate him, and even loves hypocrites. He doesn’t love many of these actions, but he loves everyone equally and infinitely---AND everyone makes mistakes and has flaws and problems and struggles. I find that incredible, amazing, and humbling. Don't you think we should try do that, too?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 04:05:24 PM by Sapphira »
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
It's just that gays will be rejected in public and be made fun of for the rest of their lives.

I don't think they'd care, anyway. I'm sure I'm criticised in public for being fat, but I couldn't care less (much to the dismay of my father). What makes you think gays, or anyone with a difference in their personality, appearance, and sexual orientation are any different?

*Gays suck. Be straight, not gay.
How very homophobic of you. Great job.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 10:44:13 PM by Vidgmchtr »

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2006, 10:58:03 PM »
Sapphira's post confuses me. There are weird asterisks all over it. And they seem to be replacing a word that is rather pivotal to her whole argument. Hmm.
That was a joke.

Print