Print

Author Topic: There goes seven decades of our sun having nine planets  (Read 9818 times)

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 04:43:34 PM »
Yep, it's a big problem for school districts and textbook publishers.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2006, 04:54:06 PM »
Most good teachers don't worry about changing worksheet.  They either change them to reflect the new info or leave them and use the discrepiency as a teachable moment.  The whole planet debate is a great teachable moment.  I've never considered Pluto as a planet.  At least not a typical one.  Maybe Pluto was a moon of Neptune, or maybe it was a trapped commet like object.  Regardless of Pluto's past its orbit sets it apart from the other satalites of Sol.  Pluto's orbit is much more elipical than the other planets and it's not in the same plane.  Pluto's compusition also sets it apart.  The outer planets are gas giants.  Pluto is neither gaseous nor giant.  Pluto is mostly ice and room similiar to a commet and is smaller than Earth's moon.  I could say a lot more about the planets, but with only a few hours sleep and a crying baby I think I'll just leave this post, typos, spelling, grammer mistakes and all.  Good night.  Erm.  Day.  Uh.  Whatever.

Edit:  Mom's feeding Hannah.  So, I'd like to add that I love having my students write and draw in their textbooks to correct mistakes.  I think they learn from it too.  Hmmm.  It's been three hours.  Time for another load of dishes and clothes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2006, 04:56:48 PM by Luigison »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2006, 10:42:51 AM »
I saw the thread title and immediately thought one thing:  It's time to track down Mrs. Henderson and demand she give me my point back on that test in 3rd grade.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:50:05 AM by DeadAwake »
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »
According to my Science teacher, Pluto is still a planet...just categorized into a different group called "Dwarf Planets", although I've never read anything about this.
Alas! I have returned. (3/22/07)

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2006, 01:04:08 PM »
Quick! Everyone find every textbook still in existence that lists Pluto as a planet, keep it/ then for thirty years, and then sell it/ them on eBay for big money!
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2006, 05:10:46 PM »
http://rippluto.ytmnd.com/

I personally don't care; where's the ENNUI thread at?

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2006, 11:11:46 PM »
I bumped it awhile ago, but no one seemed to care.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2006, 11:20:07 PM »
I've heard that Pluto is a dwarf planet along with a body called Ceres (which I guess was called a planet at one time) and some body with a huge name that's made up of numbers and random letters.

When I was younger, I was very into the solar system. I had a book that theorized Pluto as being an escaped moon of Neptune. It would make sense, since I know their orbits intersect at some point (Pluto, if I recall, is actually closer to the sun right now than Neptune).

In some ways I'm a bit shocked at the demotion, but another part of me feels that Pluto never was a planet. After all, the others past the asteroid belt are gas giants and Pluto is not.

And as for science teachers, they will have to change their curicculum, posters, and books as soon as possible. Textbook companies are about to enjoy a huge sales increase from sudden necessary new book editions...

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2006, 11:57:51 AM »
And as for science teachers, they will have to change their curicculum, posters, and books as soon as possible. Textbook companies are about to enjoy a huge sales increase from sudden necessary new book editions...
I don't think so.  Most school districts buy textbooks after a certain number of years.  My school is on a five year cycle.  I'll order new physics book this year for next year.  Then it'll be five years before we can get new ones again even if gravity waves are discovered or teleportation goes beyond the particle level. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2006, 12:03:58 PM »
NOOOOOOOO! I'm not ready to give up Pluto yet! *sobs*
"If they make greeting cards to thank people for helping with evil plans, I owe you one!" ~Dimentio, Super Paper Mario

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2006, 12:53:33 PM »
Pluto didn't change. A bit. What humans call it did. Big whoooop.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2006, 03:14:28 PM »
Hey!  I have stuff to say!

They should've let all those other things out in space be planets, because they have cooler names than the pre-existing planets.  I mean, Uranus?  Mars?  Venus?  Seriously, they make those hunks of rock floating out in nowhere sounds as boring as... well, hunks of rock floating out in nowhere!(Orbiting, whatever).  Jupiter sounds cool, though.  And Saturn.  Earth sounds almost boring, because of it's monosyllabity, but it's pleasantly weird the more you think about it.  Why not have planets called Xena and Cerenosi and Geoba or whatever?  I can't wait to take Sci-fi and Fantasy class next year...

As for Pluto, that planet was named after a smart guy, no?  Or is that Plato...  Well anyway, why isn't Pluto a planet?  All I read was "Pluto's not a planet anymore".

And I never used a nmemonic device to remember the planet's order.  Or at least saying them all in sequence was easy enough to remember.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2006, 08:30:27 AM »
But alas, some astronomer are launching a campaign to give pluto back it's status.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2006, 05:29:51 PM »
loooololllolloollllolllolollooloolollooooloollooolllool

Print