Print

Author Topic: Whos Your Main?  (Read 39848 times)

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »
I dunno, I bet there get to be some good Japan-only games for Wii that don't really require you to know Japanese.
I remember changing the language on Melee to Japanese and was quite surprised to see that most of the things were still in English.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 10:19:56 AM »
Yeah, it kinda bugs me, too... seems to be kinda forced, like it's based on the "hey, we (SSB fanatics) can't be cool unless we make up some lingo!", mentality.
Except for the whole fact that they didn't make it up.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 11:54:34 AM »
What the heck, "main" is short for "main character" which is shorter than "character I use most" or "character I'm most experienced at using." It's not some dumb thing pr0s are obsessed with, either. It's something that just happens. I'm not trying to be rude or sound elitist or anything, but online play will be really rough if you don't get good at using a specific character. Any form of even slightly competitive play will--I certainly don't plan on going easy on anyone (but I'm not even that amazingly good, you know). Smash is slightly different from Mario Kart and experience really does help.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 12:38:33 PM »
I remember changing the language on Melee to Japanese and was quite surprised to see that most of the things were still in English.
It makes me wonder if the Japanese are just used to hearing the English names for characters spoken aloud (or maybe the Japanese names for some of these characters strictly sounds like their English counterparts, like a... reverse romanization or whatever). We saw the same thing in Brawl. Maybe there's not enough space on the disc to add Japanese names for the graphics of the character icons.
You didn't say wot wot.

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 01:38:25 PM »
Easy.

Pit
with a little bit of Pikmin & Olimar.
Ditto used Machop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 05:35:05 PM »
Except for the whole fact that they didn't make it up.
Nintendo did?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »
Nintendo did?
Nintendo made smash, without smash there will be no mains, so technically Nintendo created mains
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 05:47:53 PM »
No, I mean if Smash Bros. fans didn't invent the word "main" in reference to your favorite character, then does that mean Nintend did?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 05:50:04 PM »
how should we know?
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 06:01:52 PM »
No, I mean if Smash Bros. fans didn't invent the word "main" in reference to your favorite character, then does that mean Nintend did?

I assumed he meant it came from other fans, that it's not SSB-exclusive. It's just a fighting game phrase. I could be wrong, though.

I was best in SSBM as: Luigi, Captain Falcon, Mario, Jiggypuff and Kirby. As far as Brawl, I'll probably be using Wario and Sonic a lot so hopefully I get good with them. Snake too, actually. I sometimes play with rules to the extantr of "winner keeps character, loser has to change". It forces character change and it's kind of fun when my friends would pick their best character and then lose and have to change.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 07:25:04 PM »
"Main" is just people being too lazy to type "main character" (or, in some cases, "main account").

In order from best to worst: Yoshi, Peach, Kirby, Pichu, Ice Climbers, Ness.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 08:13:48 PM »
My mains will probably still be Falco, Marth and Mario, with Diddy Kong and Zero Suit Samus joining their ranks.

Let me make this interesting by listing mains from other games.

Street Fighter II: E.Honda, Vega
Street Fighter Alpha: Cammy, Sakura, Karin,
Capcom vs. SNK: Nakoruru, Ken, Dan
King of Fighters: K', Athena, Terry
KoF Maximum Impact: B. Jenet, Terry, Alba
Killer Instinct: Spinal, Orchid
Mortal Kombat: Liu Kang, Sub Zero
Marvel vs. Capcom: Wolverine, Spider Man, Sakura

I've played Guilty Gear, but I don't remember half the people in that game. All I know is that the AI sucks and the game is easy.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »
Street Fighter II - Ryu, if only because I haven't played it in a long time and don't really remember how to use anyone else. I used to be able to use Guile a bit.
Street Fighter Alpha - I played SFA2 once. I never had a chance to play any of them after that.
Capcom vs. SNK - I think I used Morrigan and Ryu a lot back when I had this one...
Mortal Kombat - I never really got into this series either. However, I like Rayden and Sub-Zero a lot.
Marvel vs. Capcom - Morrigan, Mega Man, and Ryu.
Darkstalkers - Morrigan. When I played this, I remembered from one of the other games featuring her that her moveset was somewhat similar to Ryu's, so I used her knowing that I wouldn't have as much trouble as if I tried to use someone else. Not that I didn't try the other characters, of course.
Soul Calibur II - I inherited my Nightmare usage from my father, but I learned to play as a lot of other characters thanks to the existence of Charade.
Tekken - The one time I played a game in this series, it made me go "LOL WUT".

I really should play one of the newer Street Fighter games.

Sqrt2

« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2008, 06:51:11 AM »
Anybody, but Sonic!
AA fanboy and proud!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2008, 09:17:34 AM »
I'd imagine theres going to be a ton of "pros" online that will only strictly use sonic because he will be the fastest character.

Print