Print

Author Topic: "The Message of Majora's Mask"  (Read 3778 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:52:57 PM »
This is a very intriguing--and obviously well thought-out--article that seeks to tell the backstory of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. It was already a game with an impressive story to tell, but this piece goes above and beyond to deliver a fairly plausible series of theories that blows all other infamous "Zelda plot explanations" of the water.

http://zelda.vgrc.net/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1210462851

If you're one of those people, though, that doesn't like to read page after page of analyses of the slightest polygonal details, then shy away.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 08:20:58 PM »
It's stuff like this that reminds me of how utterly two-dimensional I am. I don't think about themes. I don't interpret fiery fingers. I even always just thought the Mask Salesman was pretty creepy. I just play.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 09:06:19 PM »
This thing makes me want to play MM again and actually finish it. How strange.
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »
This makes me actually want to play MM. Like Bird Person, this made me realize how I often ignore such symbolism. Clearly, I'm no archaeologist or anthropologist.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 10:44:42 PM »
As I was reading this, I thought of my Themes in Film teacher from high school, and how he always talked about the same exact things, except touching on movies, rather than a video game.

I liked this a lot.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:12:08 AM »
I had this game a long time ago. I didn't play it, but instead, had watched my brother play it. I had tried to play it before, but was dumbfounded by many aspects of the game. Later, I had went to go and beat it by myself, but had ignored most, if not all of the sidequests. Because of this, I kind of thought that Majora's Mask was an extremely short game. I never realized that there was this much backstory or morals.

One thing I know for sure about Majora's Mask, is that the Side Quests make up most of the game's backstory and gameplay.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 02:39:15 PM »
Those things in the link was a little weird
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »
As I was reading this, I thought of my Themes in Film teacher from high school, and how he always talked about the same exact things, except touching on movies, rather than a video game.

I liked this a lot.

Yeah, when I watch a movie or read a book I usually keep symbolism in mind. I never think about symbolism in video games because I see them simply as entertainment, not expression. But apparently I'm wrong. This article nipped me in the bud.
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 09:16:44 PM »
This really makes me want to play Majora's mask. I mean I've wanted to play this game before, but now I REALLY want to play this game (i really like sidequests and backstories for characters).
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Print