Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 57346 times)

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »
As opposed to none at all? My online games are usually fine.
Cool! I was just pointing out why ne89's reasons Brawl was better meant nothing to me.

Besides, Brawl's characters are far more balanced (though not perfectly--see Captain Falcon) than Melee's. This game comes down mainly to outwitting your opponent as opposed to using one character that rapes all the others due to the physics.
What characters "rape all the others due to the physics"?

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 08:17:48 PM »
LD has terrible internet
I have good internet, but my current router does not always play very nice with others. Regardless, how come my Brawl matches are invariably control slideshows while 95% of my Soulcalibur IV matches are silky smooth?

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 08:30:24 PM »
1) What is your TV type and size and how is your Wii plugged into it?
47-inch Plasma, the normal cables that came with the console are plugged into it.

"better physics"  --I don't notice anything better.
I might be confusing control with physics. Brawl's feels more like it fits more.

"online play"  --Brawl's network code is unplayably bad.
I've played for hours online and experienced few problems.

"myriad multiplayer options"  --Are you talking about 2-player Targets and Boss Rush? Again, meaningless to me.
More flexible Special Brawl, Rotation to better organize large player fights other than tournaments, and just about everything that was exclusively single-player in Melee was expanded to co-op.

The point I made earlier is that I don't think that two items and a slight difference of graphics (while disregarding the other 99.99999999999999999% of the game) greatly constitutes Melee to be infinitely better.

In Brawl, the announcer doesn't scream the title of the game on the title screen.
The announcer doesn't scream on the title screen in Melee either. He screams after the intro. :D
But seriously, after waiting about 10-20 seconds on the Loading screen, I'd rather flip to the menu than sit through the 2-minute intro and expect an announcer scream.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 08:40:16 PM by NintendoExpert89 »

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »
I prefer Melee because I own a copy of it.  I don't own a copy of Brawl, or a Wii for that matter.  That's why I prefer Melee.

I made the mistake of trying to talk to my roommate about this.  He said you would have to be retard to turn off the Smash ball, because that's an innovation of the game.  Basically, he's judgmental and completely disregards the points of others.  Hence why my other roommate and I feel guilty about getting along while we both dislike him.  I've also played my judgmental roommate in Brawl on his Wii, and he's really bad anyway.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 08:34:43 PM »
Forget about Mario and Dr. Mario. We've got Wario!
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2008, 08:46:43 PM »
47-inch Plasma, the normal cables that came with the console are plugged into it.
On a 47" HDTV using composite, both probably look equally horrific.

My point is that I don't think that two items and a slight difference of graphics (while disregarding the other 99.99999999999999999% of the game) greatly constitutes Melee to be infinitely better.
One item completely breaks the game and the other was in Melee one of the most fun things ever invented in gaming history. The other 99.99999999999999999% of the game is the same, except they took out a character I loved and added no one I enjoy nearly as much.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »
Brawl's got the triple D, and that reason enough for me. :)

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2008, 09:03:21 PM »
Brawl's better. More modes, better gameplay, more characters, ect. ect. ect. One of the best fighting games ever. Brawl is better then Melee.

PS. Those italics
"it's always the present"

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »
More is not better. The only thing that really matters is the basic fighting. Not poor platforming and not target breaking with friends. That crap is not The Game.

The gameplay is not better. It is significantly worse in Brawl for two critical reasons I've been repeatedly stating. Reasons that I've been supporting with evidence and examples. Unlike you.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »
Big deal that bats aren't as great. Big deal that Red Shell Hell and Parasols are no more. Big deal that our good friends Dr. Mario, Roy, Pichu and Mewtwo got the boot, as well as the OoT Links.

Don't like Final Smashes? Turn the Smash Ball off. Only don't like 'em because they let the dude whose butt you're kicking win the match? Learn to get the Smash Ball, or avoid Final Smashes. They were designed to be super-powerful. Except Donkey Kong's.

My TV shows Brawl great and Melee worse, I think with a lower framerate to go with it. What's going on with your TV?

You say "more is not better" like you don't like any of the new characters. Is this the case? I can understand if you prefer Melee's stages over Brawl's but at least the returning Melee stages in Brawl are good ones. The developers must've been on crack when they brought the worst stages from SSB to Melee.
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 09:32:17 PM »
Slow bats is a big deal to me. Batting people was my greatest joy in the game. Now it's impossible.

YES YOU CAN TURN SMASH BALLS OFF but I'm saying why Melee is better here. It doesn't have a "break the game" option at all. That's better than having one.

I don't like any of the new characters enough to make up for losing Dr. Mario. The stage selection doesn't matter to me either way. I will note that your Fourside remake is the only custom stage we ever use (not that we'll be playing Brawl anymore).

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2008, 09:32:46 PM »
LD's TV is one of the amazing HDTVs that doesn't know how to use any video signal except a HD one.
That was a joke.

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2008, 09:35:18 PM »
I should stop blaming Brawl for the graphics issue. That's a Wii flaw, not the game's.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2008, 10:58:25 PM »
Slow bats is a big deal to me. Batting people was my greatest joy in the game. Now it's impossible.

Sounds more than a little exaggerated.

YES YOU CAN TURN SMASH BALLS OFF but I'm saying why Melee is better here. It doesn't have a "break the game" option at all. That's better than having one.

So if you absolutely hated trophies, SSB would be the best even though you never have to look at a trophy in the later games? I mean, I hate Lucario and wish he weren't there, but so long as the randomizer doesn't spit him out at me/the people I play against don't pick him, it's like he's not.

I will note that your Fourside remake is the only custom stage we ever use (not that we'll be playing Brawl anymore).

Thanks, I guess. But I removed the ice UFO in my version.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2008, 11:23:12 PM »
Well, this is interesting coming from someone besides me...

Personally, I think the game improves on Melee in every way, aside from some seriously lame trophies and tripping.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print