Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 56948 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2008, 05:08:58 PM »
To everyone who "expected more from Brawl than what we actually got": What WERE you expecting? More than Snake, Sonic*, Wario, King Dedede, RED, Lucas, Ike, R.O.B., and the rest? More than the screenshot mode eliminating camera screenshots that look like crap? What more were you really expecting? Wants don't count, and I'm talking about from before the game was announced--what more did you expect the developers to add?

Melee feels so weak and broken to me. The screen looks all dead and the moves look all weak. And the characters are weak to them. My favorite characters are all terrible and look terrible (and Wario's not even there). Everybody plays as Fox. Luigi is annoying. Dr. Mario is cool, but redundant. Mario was better before FLUDD but I don't care, I don't use Mario.

Next game needs playable Black Shadow and Boney. I'll be happy.

*He feels tacked on 'cause he was. 'Cause the annoying fans wanted him. The same annoying fans who whined and whined about the delays.

Edit: It's not even Sonic himself who feels tacked-on to me, just the selection of music for Green Hell Zone. It's all copypasta except Angel Island Zone which is coincidentally the one I find best-sounding.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 05:10:39 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2008, 06:00:38 PM »
Something I would count as a huge upgrade to Brawl while still being welcome would be adding only a few (really cool) characters while keeping every single character totally unique. That means no repeated moves or final smashes whatsoever, as well as some really, truly unique movesets and characters (look to the Mvesets topic for inspiration). That way, every single character is totally unique and fun to play.

I've always thought this would be easier to obtain if we had one character from each franchise instead of several. It would allow for more franchises getting a character, plus less stupid people whining about stupid character choices. That's what Assists are for.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2008, 06:27:37 PM »
Nah... It would be completely possible for every character to have unique Final Smashes. Falco should have had (and looking at various videos of moveset swaps, was probably supposed to have) an Arwing, and I'm sure Wolf had something in some game he could've used. Ness: PK Rockin'! Lucas: PK Love! Toon Link: Hurricane?

That's all. Way fewer characters who share Final Smashes than you thought, huh? As for other moves, no two characters seriously feel too similar. You might think some "clones" are, before you really play as them enough.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2008, 06:36:17 PM »
*He feels tacked on 'cause he was. 'Cause the annoying fans wanted him. The same annoying fans who whined and whined about the delays.
I just don't see how you can do Smash Bros. with third-party characters and not include the most significant now-third-party character in Nintendo's history. If that makes me a fanboy, meh. I'm okay with being a Sonic fanboy. Sonic catches way too much flack these days, and I don't mind defending him from it. But I'm not one of the fans who complained about the delays. I was always the one saying "Shut up, Sakurai just needs more time to add more of t3h awesomeness!" Although I did feel very cheated by the final delay, where NOA pushed it back three weeks more than NOJ, and all they did was take out the Earthbound demo. They didn't even do localization, because, IIRC, all the English text in the game was already on the Japanese disc. They just had to switch the default language, possibly clean up one or two instances of Engrish, and be done with it.

Edit: It's not even Sonic himself who feels tacked-on to me, just the selection of music for Green Hell Zone. It's all copypasta except Angel Island Zone which is coincidentally the one I find best-sounding.
And some pretty lousy selections of pasta at that. If they had to get something from Sonic Heroes, why not What I'm Made Of? Or even Follow Me. Anything's better than the main theme. Well, okay, Team Sonic's song is probably worse. (Apparently, "This fight is not for anybody, it is purely for myself" + "If I just follow you, I will never see the light" + "Don't approve of him but gotta trust him. This alliance has a purpose, this partnership is only temporary" = "Everyone can do something special, the secret is sharing your dreams! We can make it if we all stick together, we won't get up, not ever! It's easier with my friends by my side!" Blegh.) But the main theme isn't much better. Also, they cut out the best part of Open Your Heart just to make it loop. But yeah, I was referring to the whole Sonic experience in Brawl, including the music.

So yeah.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2008, 07:00:49 AM »
To everyone who "expected more from Brawl than what we actually got": What WERE you expecting?

To clarify, the 1-P modes in Brawl are 5-star, and couldn't be much better. I just wish the overall feel of the game was more like Melee. The fights don't have to be so smoothly animated that it takes all fast-paced fury out of them. I also wish they had left the original Melee characters alone (sans Pichu and possibly Mewtwo). They could have put a total of 40 in, since there were already a few unused models made for a few more characters in the game.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2008, 01:56:46 PM »
Something I would count as a huge upgrade to Brawl while still being welcome would be adding only a few (really cool) characters while keeping every single character totally unique. That means no repeated moves or final smashes whatsoever, as well as some really, truly unique movesets and characters (look to the Mvesets topic for inspiration). That way, every single character is totally unique and fun to play.

That is understandable. I agree - the clone issue was still really annoying - but it wasn't as bad as it was in Melee. From what I can tell, I'm betting that the the developers may have been running out of time with Brawl, so they didn't have enough days to allow them to get rid of all the clones. I know it seems unreasonable, but a big chunk of the developing time was probably spent on the music, graphics, and unlockables like trophies and stickers, cause there was SO MUCH.

Also, doesn't Wolf seem like a last minute addition designed only to get the character amount up to 35? I'm betting that he may have been put in there pretty late in the development process - and possibly because they ran out of time to make a new totallyl original character (Krystal anyone?)

To clarify, the 1-P modes in Brawl are 5-star, and couldn't be much better. I just wish the overall feel of the game was more like Melee. The fights don't have to be so smoothly animated that it takes all fast-paced fury out of them. I also wish they had left the original Melee characters alone (sans Pichu and possibly Mewtwo). They could have put a total of 40 in, since there were already a few unused models made for a few more characters in the game.

Personally, aside from taking out Mewtwo, I'm in complete agreement with how they handled the Melee characters. Pichu and Dr. Mario were a waste of memory and should have just been alternate costumes, and Roy only was in one Fire Emblem game, so IMO he deserved to get replaced by Ike. I really don't get Mewtwo though - he didn't need to be replaced by Lucario, as they are almost completely different.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 01:58:21 PM by Zarkanthesmasher »
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2008, 02:48:18 PM »
While this isn't important in the game, the announcer screaming the game title at the title screen makes the intro video feel complete.  Brawl's intro felt empty without that scream.  Who didn't feel that rush of energy when they first heard "SUPER SMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH BROOOTHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRS" or "SUPER SMASH BROTHERS: MEELEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
Regards, Uncle Dolan

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2008, 03:07:07 PM »
Kojinka, LD already mentioned that. It is in fact very important.
Game Title Vocalization
In Brawl, the announcer doesn't scream the title of the game on the title screen. This is absolutely unforgiveable in a modern fighting game. You think I'm joking, but I'm not.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2008, 03:15:34 PM »
You know what's absolutely unforgivable in a modern fighting game? No huge bewbs.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2008, 03:26:16 PM »
I want to believe that you're trying to be funny.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2008, 03:37:39 PM »
You know what's absolutely unforgivable in a modern fighting game? No huge bewbs.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2008, 02:51:23 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2008, 04:07:11 PM »
I think Brawl is better than Melee.  I like the controls in Brawl, Melee's controls felt way too slippery and unresponsive.  Plus, characters like Falco and Ganondorf have slighty more different than their counter-parts in Brawl.  Online was an excellent idea, but definetly could have been better.  I think the reason why Brawl is getting alot of hate is the programmers revealed way too much info before release, when finally released, everyone wasn't satified because there was nothing new left. 
Victory... is my destiny!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2008, 04:14:04 PM »
I want to believe that you're trying to be funny.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2008, 04:35:43 PM »
Are you trying to be funny?TM
every

« Reply #74 on: October 14, 2008, 05:08:03 PM »
Brawl is better because Ness HAZ MIZTER ZATURN SHIRT!!!!!111!! Yay!

Print