Print

Author Topic: Why Melee Is Better Than Brawl  (Read 57384 times)

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2008, 05:09:08 PM »
Are you trying to be funny?TM
Wow I didn't realize how fast that would get old

EDIT: Oh wait I think it was just the TM
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 06:49:05 PM by Shyguy92 »
"it's always the present"

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2008, 05:15:21 PM »
Also, doesn't Wolf seem like a last minute addition designed only to get the character amount up to 35?
Thirty-nine. And you know, you really notice how different "clones" are in Brawl if you play as them. It looks like Ness and Lucas both use PK Fire, but they're really completely different moves that look similar and are named the same.

As for Mewtwo, blame kids. Stupid kids. Kids who think Lucario is cool. I mean there are already six playable Pokémon--not grouping the Kongs, Wario or Yoshi with Mario, or Snake with the Zelda characters (which wouldn't make any sense) that's more than any other series has. I miss Pichu and Mewtwo dearly but seven or even eight is a little much. Jigglypuff can't go, having been around since the first game. And there's nowhere a Pokémon could go on the list to still keep the organization of the selection screen. Remember how the Zelda characters were in a sideways L in Melee?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2008, 05:19:54 PM »
Nobody thinks Lucario is cool. He was put in because he's new, bipedal, and had a prominent role in a straight-to-DVD Pokemon movie.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2008, 05:32:50 PM »
Maybe Japan thinks Lucario is cool?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2008, 06:08:49 PM »
or Snake with the Zelda characters (which wouldn't make any sense)

...And would anyone do that?
every

« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2008, 06:53:19 PM »
Thirty-nine.

Techincally yes, but the rest are either alternate forms or part of duos and trios. However, there are ONLY 35 character slots - which just happen to fit in a perfect 4 by 9 square along with the Random slot. That's why I was saying that about Wolf - the whole select-your-character setup seems too neat to have been planned from the start, so at least one of the new characters may have been a last mintue addition to fill it up nicely. And I'm thinking Wolf is probably that character.
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
Quote from: Bird Person and Shadow Brian
Lucario is not cool.

I think Lucario is cool, and I wanted Mewtwo in there so I could see them fight each other.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »
Wow, you managed to screw up my name on a quote? *Pats The Chef on the back*

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2008, 08:39:11 PM »
I think Lucario is cool, and I wanted Mewtwo in there so I could see them fight each other.
Lucario's pretty neat, but I still think Mewtwo is better.

As for Wolf, I'm not really fond of him because they could have used his slot for a character with a noticeably different moveset, and he could be an alternate color scheme for Fox.
I'm not fond of Krystal either, but at least the ratio of male to female characters would've been narrowed down a bit, and that staff could provide an original moveset.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2008, 08:45:36 PM »
Wolf is actually way different from Fox, guys. He's actually a lot better than Fox in Brawl, too. That said, I still probably would have preferred Krystal. I was expecting her rather than Wolf.
That was a joke.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2008, 09:15:14 PM »
that staff could provide an original moveset.

you know, you really notice how different "clones" are in Brawl if you play as them.

I mean, even with how infrequently I do play as Wolf, Fox and Falco I can tell they're hardy alike.
It's YOUR problem!

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2008, 09:27:46 PM »
item-less 3- or 4-stocker (like everyone should)
This statement is incredibly borken, but that is neither here nor there.

Game Title Vocalization
In Brawl, the announcer doesn't scream the title of the game on the title screen.
I couldn't agree with you more. As Kojinka said, that rush of energy upon hearing "SUPER! SMAAAAAAAASH BROTHERRRRRRS!" is just unbeatable.

This is absolutely unforgiveable in a modern fighting game.
Apparently it was forgiven in Soul Calibur IV. It was pretty disappointing to hear some guy murmuring "Soul Calibur Four..." after the epic win that was the intro to that game.

Anyway, back to SSB. I'm going to ride the fence here and say that Brawl and Melee are just about as good as each other. While Brawl was definitely not as awesome as I had anticipated, most of the annoyances I have with it are insignificant. Crappy trophies? Don't bother with them. Irrecoverably screwed up online play? Friends are only a phone call away. Poor choice of music? That's what My Music is for. Characters you don't like? Simple: Don't play as them. Don't like Final Smashes? Turn the freakin' things off, for Pete's sake!

Bird Person made a good point about Melee: After having played Brawl, the attacks just aren't strong enough. The game has a weak, almost wimpy feel to it. It lacks some of the great things about Brawl, specifically multiple music choices and a screenshot mode that's worth using. However, it plays well as a fighter in general, and hey, a challenging, shield-less Home-Run Contest is fun.

To conclude, Melee and Brawl are equally fun to play. Heck, I still occasionally pop in Melee and play a couple matches just for the fun of it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 09:32:59 PM by BriGuy92 »
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2008, 09:35:43 PM »
Actually, Brawl's music is a lot better than I expected. A lot of the tracks introduced on the Dojo weren't the best ones. The new songs aren't orchestra, but c'mon, you have to love the new Mute City.
It's YOUR problem!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2008, 10:07:33 PM »
Like I said before, the phenomenally asinine addition of talking to the beginning of two Metroid songs is my only complaint about the soundtrack.

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2008, 06:42:48 AM »
Bird Person made a good point about Melee: After having played Brawl, the attacks just aren't strong enough. The game has a weak, almost wimpy feel to it. It lacks some of the great things about Brawl, specifically multiple music choices and a screenshot mode that's worth using. However, it plays well as a fighter in general, and hey, a challenging, shield-less Home-Run Contest is fun.

To conclude, Melee and Brawl are equally fun to play. Heck, I still occasionally pop in Melee and play a couple matches just for the fun of it.

I don't see how Melee's attacks are any weaker than those in Brawl,and I agree with you greatly on the HRC (after I first saw the shield, I NEVER played HRC on Brawl again). Using the music as a reason for Brawl to be better than Melee? Sure a few more music choices are nice, but you couldn't want too much better than the awesome ones Melee already had. That's probably why I don't like Brawl as much, it's because people forget how good Melee was because of it.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Print