Print

Author Topic: Time doesn't exist  (Read 52719 times)

« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2010, 07:46:08 PM »
Uhhhhhhhh, as opposed to what?

Nothing, if that's your approach. While I believe in evolution as a work of God, I know that no animal, no sentient organism, will ever be equatable with humans on a philosophical level. They lack the soul -- the spirit -- the divine connection -- the essential, intangible, extrascientific element which defines a human.

This warrants another topic. Imma do dat.

It's a valid argument.

Sorry, I thought you meant it rhetorically. Obviously, basic astronomic principles are responsible for the phenomenon of sunrise, as is the case for most astronomical occurrences, all of which follow God's grand design.

although I'm not arrogant enough to say that I know something without proof.

Arrogance and faith are practically opposites, guy.

Also, is anyone going to address my second question?

God is as old as time, which, as according to you, has no beginning.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:47:54 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »
Obviously, basic astronomic principles are responsible for the phenomenon of sunrise, as is the case for most astronomical occurrences, all of which follow God's grand design.

Proof?

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2010, 07:51:01 PM »
There's so many of these threads but they're all just exactly the same: people who believe in magic vs. people who don't.

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2010, 07:55:41 PM »
Yeah, basically.

Also, faith IS arrogant. You assume that you possess mental powers that others do not.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2010, 08:04:52 PM »
There's so many of these threads but they're all just exactly the same: people who believe in magic vs. people who don't.
I thought it was people who believe in a God and acknowledge that there isn't ironclad scientific proof of their beliefs vs. people who believe that we evolved from animals and refuse to acknowledge that there isn't ironclad scientific proof of their beliefs.

Yeah, basically.

Also, faith IS arrogant. You assume that you possess mental powers that others do not.
If you're saying you have no faith, then it's pretty obvious that a person of faith has a mental power that you don't.  That power is called faith.

If that's not what you meant, I'm afraid I'm not sure what that statement is supposed to imply.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2010, 08:16:15 PM »
Faith is arrogant because it allows human beings who don't have all the answers to think that they do.

Also, it's become Lizard Dude and PaperLuigi vs. Turtlekid and Weegee.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:18:43 PM by PaperLuigi »

Rao

• Arr! Ay! Oh!
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2010, 08:27:01 PM »
I never thought the latter two would be lumped in together.
What's your problem, Cambodian?

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2010, 08:28:19 PM »
Besides, PL, faith isn't a "mental power". It's not exclusive, and nor is it arrogant: Quite contrary, it shows humility through submissive trust. If anything, the deified form of science you've lent yourselves to feigns omniscience by asserting that it will eventually answer everything. In reality, it's done little but continually disprove itself.

« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
That's why it's good. You go with the best evidence you have and base your theories on that. Then you eventually find more stuff out, and have to change some of your ideas around. This is called being rational. This is called basing your worldview on what we actually see, know, and can experimentally verify. You can make a mathematical model, and then predict what will happen in the real world based on it. And that means you probably have a pretty good idea of what's going on. But relativity, quantum theory, they still have known problems where they don't work. There is tons of unknown stuff. What I have described here is not arrogance; it's trying to figure stuff out. Changing your mind when there's a reason to is a smart thing, not a bad thing. Disproving is how science works. It's how you know you're not right about something.

In religion, you make something up because it feels good. Or more likely, go with something someone else made up a really long time ago. And keep believing it forever, not trying to disprove it. You can't really disprove it, because there's no particular evidence behind it.

« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »
LD: Do you believe that there's anything in the world that can never be explained through science?

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2010, 09:13:14 PM »
By us humans? Possibly. As long as we're stuck on Earth it's going to be pretty darn hard to figure out stuff about pre-Big Bang, are there other "universes" besides the one we know, stuff like that. Although, the stuff we advanced chimps have already figured out about what's out there in the skies while being stuck on little old Earth is still mindblowingly incredible. And there are surely many amazing discoveries out there to come.

But will we figure absolutely everything out? Highly unlikely. But man, when you don't understand something yet you can't just make stuff up and believe it. You just say, "I don't know." It's very hard to admit "I don't know", especially when you're in a position of power. It's also scary not to know things, like what it feels like to die, etc. I suspect a combination of these two difficulties has founded most religions.

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2010, 09:42:52 PM »
From a Christian standpoint, it's technically impossible for science and religion to conflict. Every discovery made or disproven further deepens our understanding of creation, thus being proof of God.

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »
Science, if anything, disproves Christianity.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:49 PM »
PL you're just being difficult. Your statement has absolutely nothing to back it up.
That was a joke.

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2010, 12:25:23 AM »
We can't empirically prove resurrections, the "creation" of man, people turning into pillars of salt, worldwide floods, divine revelation, etc.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:45:56 AM by PaperLuigi »

Print