Print

Author Topic: Read Up some Sean Malstrom Topics...  (Read 48246 times)

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2016, 04:27:31 PM »
Some of the best video game analysis I've seen comes from Matthewmatosis. I highly recommend checking out his series of videos on the 3D Zelda games.
Relics.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2016, 08:26:21 AM »
Never heard of this guy, but from the summaries in this thread he sounds like a more bitter Tevis Thompson.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 09:42:26 PM »
The instructional VHS tape that came with your coffee maker is a very different kind of non-interactive audiovisual media than Star Wars
Aren't there some parts of the Star Wars Holiday Special that are like instructional videos?
Relics.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 12:28:19 AM »
stir whip stir whip whip whip stir
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 02:56:06 PM »
I'm gonna learn how to build my PC from the Holiday Special
read jitsu wa watashi wa

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2010/11/24/email-question-about-mario-3/

So, I was right about Malstrom hating "saving" in games.

Come to think of it, you know one reason why I really like Super Mario Brothers 3? It is the lack of save points. If you need to go anywhere, there is the warp whistle. And it doesn’t take that long to play through the entire game in one sitting.

...also...

Sometimes things like save points have been bad to gaming. For example, save points can remove the fear of dying. It was fun to totally wipe and have to start over but this time with more skill (and you end up where you were before but with many more lives). This element seems completely lost in platformers today and was lost even when Super Mario World came out.

He really wants it old fashioned.

Also, I found a metroid-related article.
https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2010/09/22/email-zero-punctuation-reviews-other-m/

I do not believe the Zero Suit has been helpful for Samus Aran or Metroid in general. When Samus revealed herself at the end of older Metroids, she would just have a bikini on. I prefer her being in her metallic suit in a bikini than this “zero suit”. The only reason why she has the ‘Zero Suit’ is so she can run around with a pistol and act like a ninja ‘ninja’. Samus was likable because she did not have super-Human powers. We figured that Samus outside of her suit would be instant death in the hideous alien environments on Zebes. But in Sakamoto’s bizarro world, Samus is a super ninja and the armor is just a costume which she can turn ‘on’ and ‘off’ at will (depending on whether it is time to show off her butt some more).

I think he's confusing "slightly stronger than the average human" for "superpowered demigod." Just because she has alien blood in her DNA(He hates everything about the character Samus is given. He rather she remained a featureless avatar) doesn't mean she is a glorified superhuman. At best, she is on the level of Captain America.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 09:18:06 AM by 4 Game Freak »

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 10:12:50 AM »
She really wasn't that powerful the one time we got to play as her. The best you could do was stun Space Pirates and hide.

I guess this is an example of how Smash can ruin people's perception?

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 10:26:10 AM »
She really wasn't that powerful the one time we got to play as her. The best you could do was stun Space Pirates and hide.

I guess this is an example of how Smash can ruin people's perception?
She was still able to do acrobatic moves and abilities, which annoyed Malstrom.

She imagined(probably still does) her to be completely hapless without her suit, and she's only good and likable when in it at all cost, 100%.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 11:38:29 AM »
Malstrom's hatred of video game characters having "superpowers" is weird (cf that post where he says SML2 is better than Galaxy because he had to wear a helmet in space). Though I don't really see how having a taser and being physically fit is a superpower anyway.

But whatever; Samus was never supposed to be helpless without the suit:

I do think it's a shame that muscular 6'3" 198lb Samus was replaced with generic 4-foot-tall waifu Samus, but yeah.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 12:50:44 PM »
Wait a minute... no superpowers... no save points...

this guy's ideal modern-day game is ****ing Hatred

jesus
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2016, 05:28:08 PM »
Wait a minute... no superpowers... no save points...

this guy's ideal modern-day game is ****ing Hatred

jesus
And no characterization. He wants the 80s arcade experiences back, as that is what attracted customers the most.

I honestly liked how Samus Aran look at that poster. Better than how she looks now.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:52:44 PM by 4 Game Freak »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2016, 10:26:39 PM »
Still is Hatred. Nothing whatsoever in it is human enough to warrant investment. Hatred, game of the year all years for Sean Malstrom. Chkk chkk.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2016, 07:46:18 PM »
One of my favourite Sean Malstrom moment, and a great example of his many failings as a game commentor, is this recent blog post where he argues that Splatoon cannot be considered a successful game because it "did not move hardware"

The metric of success for FIRST PARTY TITLES is selling the hardware. That is the entire reason why Nintendo makes games. It is to sell the [darn] console.

Splatoon is not selling Wii Us.

Therefore…

Splatoon is a dud.

It is not that complicated.

Mario Kart 8 sold Wii Us. Smash Brothers is selling hardware (mostly 3DS it seems). But Splatoon is not moving the hardware.

Except his premise is wrong. The Wii U's japanese sales more than doubled for months after Splatoon was released. The man is coasting on one kinda good article he wrote a decade ago, and he's put out nothing but laughable tripe since then, lol.

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2016, 09:45:49 PM »
One of my favourite Sean Malstrom moment, and a great example of his many failings as a game commentor, is this recent blog post where he argues that Splatoon cannot be considered a successful game because it "did not move hardware"

Except his premise is wrong. The Wii U's japanese sales more than doubled for months after Splatoon was released. The man is coasting on one kinda good article he wrote a decade ago, and he's put out nothing but laughable tripe since then, lol.
He doesn't count Japan, as he sees it as a dying nation that is in serious decline.
 Only the west financially matters, it seems.

Tavros

• he was hello
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2016, 10:15:46 PM »
That just makes him even more laughable.
Does he not realize that Japanese companies are going to target their main target audience, AKA the Japanese?
I mean yeah, sure, there are some series from Japan that sell better in the west (Sonic, and I believe Metal Gear), so they target the west more, but with a company like Nintendo?
I really really hope nobody actually thinks what he says is true.
read jitsu wa watashi wa

Print