Print

Author Topic: Sequel to Super Mario RPG? Original director says...  (Read 5794 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: August 01, 2013, 01:13:31 PM »
Back in the mid-90's, Nintendo and Squaresoft formed a dream team that created Super Mario RPG, arguably one of the best Super Mario games ever. The director for that game, Yoshihiko Maekawa, is now on a new team called AlphaDream and works on the Mario & Luigi line of RPG games, most recently releasing Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. Jason Schreier from Kotaku chatted with Mr. Maekawa and amongst questions about the new game, had a chance to sneak in one question about the potential of a sequel or remake of Super Mario RPG:

"Actually, I don't feel like I want to return to that world and use those characters in another game," Maekawa said through a translator. "I feel like I was able to accomplish what I wanted to with that world and those characters and the gameplay ideas that came out of those, and now I mostly feel like I want to make something different."

While it's a shame we'll never get to return to the world introduced by Super Mario RPG, I am still holding out hope for Geno to make an appearance in Super Smash Bros. 4!

Source
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 11:12:31 PM by Super-Jesse »
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:16:08 PM »
What! But I want to find out if Gaz ever got his wish and never grew up, or if Booster and Valentina stayed happily married, or if Croco and Boshi formed some kind of evil alliance, or...

I guess the M&L series has sort of been sequels to Mario RPG, but I want a direct sequel. Eventually..
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Super-Jesse

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 01:29:27 PM »
What! But I want to find out if Gaz ever got his wish and never grew up, or if Booster and Valentina stayed happily married, or if Croco and Boshi formed some kind of evil alliance, or...

I guess the M&L series has sort of been sequels to Mario RPG, but I want a direct sequel. Eventually..

Isn't that why we have the Fan Fic section? ;-)

Ya know, I actually love the M&L series. I think the humor fits well with the Super Mario universe and the gameplay is top-notch. My biggest fear would be that a sequel would be so hyped up and fawned over that there is no way it could live up to anyone's expectations.
<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 01:56:40 PM »
arguably one of the best Super Mario games ever

Emphasis on "arguably."
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Super-Jesse

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 02:04:35 PM »
Emphasis on "arguably."

What's your top 10? If you ever have time to think about something like. I am always interested to see how people rank the games.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 02:32:09 PM »
Top 10 Mario games...

1. 3D Land
2. Paper Mario 2
3. Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
4. Yoshi's Island
5. NSMBU
6. World
7. SM64/DS
8. Paper Mario 1
9. Luigi's Mansion
10. SMB3

It's hard to rank them this close to the top. Some of these could shift up or down one or two slots depending on the day... but SMRPG is way down there. It's like Square forgot they were making a Mario game for most of it. I don't get why people rave over it so much when it's by and large missing the point of what Mario's about. Unless that's the thing, and the people who love it so much prefer weird, generic crap to Mario. It could be; have a look at Geno's popularity over Mallow, the one original thing in SMRPG who actually looks and feels like he belongs in Mario's world.

The other Mario RPGs do a better job of expanding on what the main series offers without feeling like bad fanfiction. I especially wish the Beanbean Kingdom had been assimilated into the main series. It feels exactly like a wacky foreign counterpart to the Mushroom Kingdom should.

Meanwhile, what the heck is this
It's YOUR problem!

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »
Sounds to me like Yoshihiko Maekawa is admitting that the M&L games are better than a sequel to SMRPG ever could be. ;)

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 03:19:34 PM »
I don't get why people rave over it so much when it's by and large missing the point of what Mario's about.
As a person who considered SMRPG his "favorite game ever" for much of his life, let me explain. It is inexplicably beloved for the exact same reason as FFVII is to some people, and FFX is to some others: it was the first game of a certain character/story/world development threshold that they experienced after reaching an age old enough to understand and appreciate it. It's a bit mindblowing to experience a complex JRPG before you've built up the shields of experience and cynicism towards the genre's tricks. And the Mario brand name lured many fresh minds in to experience SMRPG in this way. The same goes for FFVII's and FFX's massive marketing hype and word-of-mouth due to the FF series jumping to the new consoles.

The content of the games isn't exactly what created the powerful love for them, and that's why it doesn't make sense when you contrast them to other arguably better games in the same series. It was more their societal opportunity to critical hit minds. I agree with everything you wrote Bird, but the effect is so powerful that merely hearing this is enough to instantly make me put SMRPG at the top of any Best Mario Games list, every time.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 04:16:44 PM »
But the weird thing is that plenty of the people clamoring for Geno in Smash Bros. are younger than me and wouldn't have played/didn't play SMRPG before a more recent Mario RPG, so are you sure that's it? If it was just because the nostalgia goggles make SMRPG itself so appealing, wouldn't Mallow have as many fanboys? Or is it, for them, a contest of style vs. substance where a cliche stoic warrior in a hood and a cloak will win out over an endearing and interesting character every time?

The music is good, though.
It's YOUR problem!

Print