Print

Author Topic: Itadaki Street DS announced  (Read 10486 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: September 29, 2006, 11:27:06 AM »
First, Square-Enix combined Mario and Final Fantasy characters in Mario Hoops 3-on-3.  Now, Mario and company will join Dragon Quest characters in Itadaki Street DS.  Itadaki Street is a long-running game series in Japan similar to Monopoly and created by Dragon Quest designer Yuji Horii.  The two most recent editions of the game prior to the DS version featured Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest characters.  This is the first Itadaki Street game on a Nintendo console since Itadaki Street 2 on Super Famicom.  So far, Mario, Luigi, Slime, and Jessica (Dragon Quest VIII) have been shown as playable.  There is no word yet on release dates or release regions outside of Japan.

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 01:16:56 PM »

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2006, 01:37:58 PM »
All I know about Itadaki Street is that it had some great music (I'm thinking of Sofie's Cavern, specifically). From this magazine article, I can definitely tell that there's a lot of money involved. I'm actually quite fond of Monopoly, so that looks like a pretty fun game. I'm disappointed that there's no release information, though.

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2006, 03:38:01 PM »
Judging by that scan, they could so pass it off as Mario Party DS here in the U.S.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2006, 03:39:36 PM »
Man, that looks like a weird game.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2006, 05:38:41 PM »
Was this Itadaki Street series in competion with HudsonSoft's Momotaro's Railroad series in Japan? They look pretty dang similar. Unless the Japanese love mascot-based board game sims.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 03:31:46 AM »
The phrase "similar to Monopoly" scares me to death because Monopoly is a crappy game.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 06:33:15 AM »
HOW!? Monopoly is a classic!!! It's the most played board game of all time!!! Everyone loves it!!!!

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 07:54:12 PM »
But I don't love it!!!! Monopoly is a boring, poorly designed, neverending, extremely luck-based exercise in illegal business practices.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 08:21:24 PM »
You can level up and stuff in Itadaki Street, so it's not exactly Monopoly.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2006, 08:46:38 AM »
But I don't love it!!!!
 Monopoly is a boring,

Not if you play with four people and house rules. ;)

poorly designed,

Poorly designed? How so?

neverending,

There are plenty of ways to fix that.

extremely luck-based

A lot of board games have luck-based elements. This one can have tons of strategy incorporated into it in the long run.

exercise in illegal business practices.

It's just a game. Besides, which practices in it are illegal?

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2006, 12:37:45 PM »
Ah, opinion is a lovely word, why can't we put what we don't like aside and talk about the actual subject of the topic, in which I'm sorry to say I have nothing on-topic to post here.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2006, 03:26:02 PM »
Your argument for the fact that Monopoly is boring and neverending is that you can change the rules to make it not so. While that's true, you yourself are admitting that something needs to be changed.

It's also true that lots of board games have luck-based elements. And usually the more luck involved, the less I like it. Games where the very act of moving is determined by the capricious whim of tumbling cubes are the most extreme of offenders.

Monopolies generally cause consumers to have access to a lower range and amount of goods for higher prices. In the United States, the Sherman Anti-Trust Act and the Clayton Act help prevent monopolies for this reason. (Government monopolies like the US Postal Service are exceptions.)

"It's just a game" is a horrid thing to say in any situation.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2006, 04:51:45 PM »
I take it you're not a fan of board games in general, then. As for the thing about monopolies in real life being illegal, I had no idea. But then again, think how far back the game goes.....

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2006, 06:01:30 PM »
On the contrary, I'm a big fan of board games, particularly strategy like chess, checkers, and backgammon and Euro games.

I don't really care if a game depicts illegal acts or not. I just through that in there to further flame against Monopoly.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 08:26:43 PM »
So you're not a fan of big brand-name board games, then.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 08:41:13 PM »
But then again, think how far back the game goes.....

Not as far back as the major antitrust laws.

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 09:39:47 PM »
Another thing that kind of bugs me about Monopoly is the eight trillion Collector's Editions that come out. It has morphed from a game to something to make collectible versions of, like shot glasses.

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 03:03:23 PM »
What were the previous Itadaki streets about anyway? How do you play the game?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 09:00:54 PM »
The game Monopoly was based on was indeed created to show how a monopoly is a bad thing.
Monopoly can be a horribly boring game, but I still enjoy it occasionally.
That was a joke.

« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2007, 11:26:13 PM »
I have a sort of space version of monopoly, Apollo 13.

I think the two best board games ever are Stratego and Omega Virus.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2007, 11:44:50 PM »
Clubhouse Games has a version of Stratego, but it goes by the name "Field Tactics."

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 03:46:54 AM »
Clubhouse Games needs a version of Omega Virus. I don't care what they call it.

Print