Print

Author Topic: How good are you in Mario Kart Wii?  (Read 13210 times)

« on: May 08, 2008, 05:41:29 PM »
I think I'm pretty good. I have about 200-something Wi-Fi wins and 50-something looses. I beat all cups in all engine sizes with a Gold ranking. I got at least a 1 star ranking on all of them except Mirror Special Cup and 50cc Lightning Cup (Don't ask). I unlocked all characters and karts. (Expect one...) (Including the second Mii costume, which makes me look fat). Also, since of what I just said, I also unlocked all expert staff ghosts. How about you?

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:47:29 PM »
Brawl has consumed most of my time... but I'm doing decent so far. I've so far only beaten the 50cc cups, and most of the 100cc cups. I have at least a star in all 50cc cups, and I have at least an A in all the 100cc cups I beat.
Ditto used Machop!

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 06:11:10 PM »
Everything's unlocked, and I have at least one star in each cup. I have no idea how I stack up against other people, as I can't play online. Also, I feel like my skill in handling Karts isn't as good as it was in Double Dash.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:48:18 AM »
I wouldn't take Grand Prix trophies as an indicator of skill. When I played on Wi-Fi with Super-Jesse, Vidgmchtr, Rao and Chupperson, I usually got second place (Super-Jesse is a beast), and from past Mario Karts I'd say I'm just fine...

If you must know, I do have all gold on all cups in all engine classes and all characters except Baby Daisy (she's just so hard to unlock, I don't think I'll ever be able to do it!) and Mii v2.0. The task for the second Mii is actually pretty tough-sounding. I have at least eight fast staff ghosts, of course, but some will be hard to get.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:59:55 AM »
I think I've gotten good with the Wii Wheel, but I don't understand how the ranking system in the Grand Prix mode works. Is it based on how fast you completed it or how good you did? I cannot tell.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:43:07 AM »
I've been busy, so I haven't played it a whole lot. And besides, that game does whatever it can to make sure you don't win by skill, anyway.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 09:51:02 AM »
Rankings are like, did you bump into anything? If so, bad ranking.
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 04:11:25 PM »

Mainly because 96.5% of all Time Trials have people using the Flame Runner, which has a bad acceleration.

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 05:02:17 AM »
No, these rankings are in Grand Prix, where you want acceleration above all else.

Time Trials have Flame Runner because when you're the only one on the track, you want top speed above all else because you won't be stopping every five seconds like usual. And karts with high top speed are going to have low acceleration for balance purposes.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 10:58:34 AM »
How do you do tricks?
Edward has always dreamed of becoming a female monkey.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »
Shake the remote.
That was a joke.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 11:40:43 AM »
Thank you.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 01:54:20 AM »
Press the d-pad.

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 01:59:54 AM »
Eh.

Unlike many other series, Mario Kart is the most successful one to test my patience. I yell at the TV screen (or, in the case of MKDS, my DS) when playing a Mario Kart game much more than any other game I play. And with the now frequent occurences of lightning bolts and blue shells and uselessness of fake item boxes as shields for red shells, I may very well yell until my voice becomes hoarse.

You can beat the computer/staff ghosts in time, yes. Doesn't really make you good, though.

Can I beat others? I'm still figuring that out, because since before MKDS, I usually played alone. MK64 was the only MK game I played with someone else, my brother.

Online I've been able to defeat a few other players, strangers and friends (note online I will ALWAYS use the Wiimote + Wheel configuration, provided the batteries stay alive).

Currently, I only unlocked the Mirror mode earlier tonight (I'm going at my own pace, to enjoy the game rather than blow through it in a week) as well as Daisy. (Still not caring to put spoiler tags over secret characters, eh, BP?)

I've still got Mii B, Funky Kong, Baby Player 2, and Dry Bowser to unlock, and I believe the former two will take awhile, as well as a few karts and bikes (I'm not sure how many there are supposed to be for each class, 5 of each for all 3 weights? Or 6?)
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 02:21:36 AM »
Nope. DryBowserRosalinaFunkyKongToadette.

Well I got my sister to play some Nintendo with me yesterday after her PS2 failed to work (she wanted to play Kingdom Hearts). We played some Mario Kart 64, and I never lost. Then, I got her to play some Mario Kart Wii. She used the GameCube Controller and I used the Remote with the Nunchuk. In a vs. match with 12 racers (other than Wi-Fi and Time Trials, is there a freaking way to NOT HAVE TWELVE RACERS), even my sister can take first place once or twice.

Nintendo...

You've actually done it. I was sure you couldn't, but you made a video game in which I can lose to my sister.

But with only two players, I can beat Chupperson many times.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2008, 03:16:44 AM »
(other than Wi-Fi and Time Trials, is there a freaking way to NOT HAVE TWELVE RACERS)
Can't you turn off CPU racers with that little Options circle in the top right?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2008, 10:53:02 AM »
Yeah, BP slaughtered me online. I have to regain my mad skillz.
That was a joke.

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2008, 11:57:57 AM »
You forgot that I was in that race too, Chup. And I beat you, too!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »
No, you weren't in the race I'm talking about. Also I was using a slowness-inducing remote with no wheel on the race with you. I was using the Actually Good remote+nunchuk against BP.
That was a joke.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »
I've been slowly getting better at Mario Kart Wii, but I'm rather sick of it as of now. I can't place first in the Leaf and Special Cups on 150cc. Why did they make the lightning remove your items (which cost me about 6 tries)? It's a real pain for people already in last.

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 04:52:36 PM »
Mario Kart Wii is definitely item-crazy, which is a minus for me. I like items, just not too much.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2008, 06:04:40 PM »
I'm definitely not the beast I was in DS.  I'm struggling to get at least a * ranking in 150cc.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Ambulance Y

• raewrednu
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »
I almost find myself missing the simplicity of Mario Kart 64.

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2008, 10:35:36 PM »
I welcome the complex, changing tracks, but I know what you mean when it comes to simplicity. The various karts have debatable strengths and features, and there are so many obnoxious items... as Waluigi would often say in response to them, "Cheataaahsss!!"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 10:41:30 PM »
Even though the items make you die many horrible deaths, the control is much, much better than MK64's. But the physics aren't as good as MKSC's.
That was a joke.

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 12:01:12 AM »
This actually helped me out; I was able to unlock Baby Daisy and Bowser Jr, and I'm on my way to unlocking Dry Bowser and Daisy. Thanks Chupperson.
EDIT: Unlocked both of them! :D
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 02:39:01 AM by NintendoExpert89 »

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
I enjoy using Baby Mario on the Magikruiser[/spoilers]
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 09:00:17 PM »
Well I tried it at the Mario Kart Wii Tour, and I think I did pretty good. I can't wait 'til I get the game though
It's-a Me, Wii-Player

Br26

• Ping timeout
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 04:23:02 AM »
I need to beat the mirror cups. But I dunno, 150cc was torture...:s
Im sorry mario, but our princess is in another castle! He He, just joking!

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 07:02:57 AM »
Hmmmmm... How good am I in MKWii... Well lets see, I haven't unlocked anything new, considering the fact I don't own the game. But I am looking dorward to purchasing it.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 07:54:38 AM »
Both my WiFi ratings are near 6000, I've almost finished 150cc, and my overall ranking is B. So not too bad.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »
My overall ranking is A.  I got one or two of the Mirror cup GPs completed.  I didn't go through too much trouble clearing 150cc
Regards, Uncle Dolan

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 08:32:22 PM »
Can somebody please explain what the trick is to beating that thing?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 11:36:06 PM »
I can't help you beat 150cc, but I can help you get a star ranking if you're good. My recommendation is that you hold back a bit in the first lap as you use boosting items to get a better time. Somehow, this rhythm usually allows me to suffer a slight catastrophe in the end of the second lap, and then I gain it all back to get first. This gets a time good enough for two stars.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2008, 12:45:39 PM »
I just got the game yesterday, so it's hard to tell.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Super Caterina!

• Super Cool
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2008, 10:27:17 AM »
About 8360 points and more than 5050 wins!=D
*If you win 5000 times, you get your Mii as playable character! I found it by this way (and this surprised me, because I thougt I had to win all the expert ghosts in Mario kart wii. But there is also this other chance!)!
It's meee, Super Caterina! =D

« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2008, 10:30:25 AM »
You can just win 100cc Special Cup...
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2008, 04:34:53 AM »
Actually, 5000 wins opens the Mii with the alternate costume (Mario's overalls or Peach's dress). I only have Baby Luigi and this Mii to unlock.

« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2008, 04:41:15 PM »
Well, I don't actually own the game (wasn't high priority, unlike Brawl and Galaxy), but I have played it a fair amount, both with friends' copies and at local stores. I'm okay with the wii remote/steering wheel, but I'm much better with a Gamecube Controler.

Honestly, the items don't really bother me that much. Sure, lighning bolts and blue shells are a bit too common, but the balance is a bit better. I actually like that you don't get powerful items when in first place - I never liked that it was actually possible to get lightning bolts and stars once in a while when you were in first or second (Mario Kart 64 allowed this I think). Plus, even the less powerful items are still decent - computers almost always hit the banana peels that I throw back. :)

The main thing that bothers me is what I've heard about 150cc. Back in previous mario karts, only one CP cheated - the second place bully - and he cheated by speeding up. Now, all the players are cheating by getting too many powerful items at the same time and slowing you down. That sounds far worse. :X
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2008, 05:59:55 PM »
Actually, I've found that CPU players are capable of sliding sideways (even almost horizontally) across tracks, not turning, to avoid obstacles. This is why it's rare the CPU in 2nd will hit a banana you threw backwards because of this cheat, but the guy in 5th place will hit it. Also, I've found that some CPU players "who aren't supposed to be" at a high rank at the start of a race will commit suicide by falling off the edge of the course or going straight into an obstacle at the first chance they get.

What really urks me about Online Battle is that attacking someone gives only a real small chance at success. Despite the lack of slowdown, there is lag nonetheless. Positions are constantly changing, and the computer cannot have a kart in the same exact position on every other console at the same time. Therefore, even if I crush another using a Mega Mushroom and they're clearly flattened, there's a small chance I will actually receive the point for doing so. Same with almost every other item. Even if I hit them with a Star and they go flying, I will not be able to steal their balloon, even if they were charging straight at me.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2008, 11:28:42 PM »
Also, I've found that some CPU players "who aren't supposed to be" at a high rank at the start of a race will commit suicide by falling off the edge of the course.
I saw Peach do that once at Wario's Mines
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Jman

• Score
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 09:02:59 PM »
Me and my team are pwning in online battle mode right now.

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2008, 02:37:22 PM »
My VR is about 8000 now, and it says I won about 450 times and lost about 90 times. I usually use Dry Bowser in the Flame Runner.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 08:06:56 AM »
I have all the gold cups in every single grand prix in every single cc (including mirror mode).  50cc is mostly 1 and 2 stars, 100cc is mostly A's and B's, 150cc and mirror mode have B's mostly C's, and a few D's.  I think my overall average is an A.
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2008, 11:47:18 PM »
Well, all I've been doing basically is getting online. I peaked out at 9232 with online Grand Prixs, and then yesterday when I got on I was racing 12 players about 5 times in a row... and every single time I'd be in front with a considerable gap and then 7 inches from the finish line a blue shell comes, you blow up, ink quirts in your face, 4 red shells come by and kill you, someone is mega and hits you, a stray green shell kills you, someone turbos by you and hits you off to the side, a kid hits you with a star and you fly back a couple inches, a bullet bill flies out of nowhere and kills you..... then when you finally have a chance to move, that little kid who has no idea how to play just flies on by right as you're crossing the line and wow, you're in last place and you lose like 130 points. I dropped down to 7600-something during those few races... and now I recovered a bit back to 8186.

Where is a thread for all your Mario Kart registration numbers? I need more people!!!!
Formerly quite reasonable.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2008, 01:36:03 PM »
Trainman!  Hey.  How are you doing?  Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Mario Kart lately.

Print