Print

Author Topic: Games in your backlog.  (Read 10165 times)

« on: June 10, 2007, 04:18:26 PM »
I'm sure this has happened at least once to all of us. You start playing a game, and you moderately enjoy it. Then something happens that prevents you from finishing it, like say, a new much more anticipated game comes out, you get stuck on a part, or you simply get bored of the game. So you put it aside and almost forget about, but you want to go back and finish it, though you just never get around to it. Eventually these games start to pile up but you still won't reach for them.

So what I'm essentially asking is what are you currently NOT playing that you want to complete?

My list:

Games that I still need to finish:
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (gameplay bored me but I reached the final boss before I quit, so I still need to get it over with)
Yoshi's Island DS (again, stuck on final boss)
Diddy Kong Racing DS (haven't really picked this up since I got it around the same time I got Super Paper Mario and Pokemon Diamond)
Starfox Adventures (got stuck somewhere on the snowy part of the planet and never picked up again. It was an interesting game though)
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Yes. As sad as it is, I haven't beaten this because I never had the time to finish it)
Elebits (Also never had much time to play it)

Games I restarted that I should finish:
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (when I heard your stats in PoR would affect your characters in Goddess of Dawn, I wanted to go back and max out all of them. A few weeks later, I got Super Paper Mario. End of story)
Pokemon Sapphire (used to belong to my sister and I plan on milking it for items and legendaries)
Pokemon Colossuem (I want my Ho-oh again, as well as the legendary dogs)

Games I haven't even touched since getting:
Galactic Wrestling Ft. Ultimate Muscle
Def Jam Vendetta

Coincidentally, both games were produced by AKI, who developed WWF No Mercy for the N64, which is the best wrestling game ever in my book.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 07:00:29 PM »
Elebits (I had no motivation to complete this game once I got to the forth area. Every stage in this game is just too time consuming, and zapping elebits gets tedious at times.)
Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA) (I couldn't get past the spike maze level on the last world, so I gave up)
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (Way too hard, even on easy mode)
Luigi's Mansion (I was too afraid to play it, so I never put the game in my GameCube)
Shadow the Hedgehog (Thought it would be too violent, so it received the same fate as Luigi's Mansion)
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 07:04:56 PM »
The only game I can think of right now is the ROM I downloaded of Chrono Trigger. Funny, I was just thinking of it earlier today. I always make sure to complete games I actually buy.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 07:15:31 PM »
Luigi's Mansion (I was too afraid to play it, so I never put the game in my GameCube)
Classic Quote?
-A Link to the Past. I'm not so good at 2-D Zelda, and I lost interest kind of quickly...
-The Wind Waker. I kind of quit playing after finally getting the IN-CREDIBLE chart, but I played recently and got most of the Triforce charts and the color pictograph box...
-Super Mario Bros. 2 (J). This should be on most people's lists...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 07:58:02 PM »
I beat SMB2J in SMAS.

Anyway, I restarted Pokémon Yellow about a month ago and I've only gotten 4 badges so far. I don't feel like finishing it, though, as I had recently gotten Star Fox Command.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 08:50:24 PM »
This makes me think: why do people buy games they never intend on finishing? I hear friends of mine complain all the time that they don't have anything interesting to play, and yet they have a backlog full of titles that I'm sure they have forgotten about/don't care about/etc..

Now, as for my backlog..

Super NES

Yoshi's Island (I just started a new file again the other day..)
Super Mario RPG (a fairly new file: just got Mallow and was chasing Croco around the Bandit's Way)
Super Metroid (started a file to get 100%. Beat MotherBrain with 99%..)

N64

Super Mario 64 (I think I was trying to see how few stars I could finish the game with, without using the swtiches or secret stars..)
Paper Mario (Saved after saving the second Star Spirit, I think..)
Dr Mario 64 (I've never been able to finish any form of story mode with out losing or retrying)
Yoshi's Story (I have been trying to unlock all the pages for Trial mode. Cursed page 6-3..)
Mario Party 3 (Trying to get somebody other than Mario through the Story mode)

Gamecube

Mario Golf Toadstool Tour (I have been holding off on getting the secret characters. Outside of Boo, the selection kind of sucks..)
Mario Kart Double Dash (I've actually finished this one before, but I erased it and started over again because I abolutely can not stand the Petey/Boo team. (Boo is ok, but Petey is too friggin huge.. Burn his leaves off!)
Mario Baseball (I had to stop playing this game for a while because I was actually getting mad enough to throw the controller and biting my fiancee's head off. At the time, I had no idea there were so many rules for baseball [in real life], so going back and playing again, they have programmed it very well. I have yet to turn but a handful of characters into Star players)
Mario Power Tennis (I thought Toad would be unlockable further into the game, but I stopped playing after I realised that all my characters were Star players, and still no Toad..)
Mario Parties (all the ones for Gamecube involve similar things, so they're all here. I am in the process of completing them by earning as many points and buying as many things as I can in each game..)
Pikmin 2 (Two caves full of treasure are all that are left..)
Animal Crossing (getting the full catalog..)\

Wii

Super Paper Mario (going back and completing the two Pits of 100 trails, and possibly getting a few recipes. I don't know, though, because while SPM is a good game, I don't know how I feel about it being a Paper Mario title yet.. Something feels kind of off..)
Star Fox 64 (on the Virtual Console! This is one of two games that I downloaded that I haven't owned before. I haven't had the chance to finish playing through the one player mode yet..)
F-Zero (on the VC! See above for explaination..)
Kid Icarus (on the VC! I finally got through level 1-4!)

Handhelds

Mario Hoops (still playing through..)
Animal Crossing DS (completing catalog..)

I think that covered everything. It's not that I try and play all these games at once, it's just that I get bored sometimes with a game, so I randomly switch back and forth between the above titles, or just play whatever is nearby (my DS when I'm at my parents', like now).
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »
I need to beat: Super Metroid (I get stuck with the little wall jumping gremling thingies)

Super Mario Sunshine: YES, I haven't beaten the game, I got stuck with the anoying little platforming stages, but I came back and now I'm at Corona Mountain.

Sonic CD: can never pass the last boss...

That's about all for now...
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 09:55:35 PM »
My Backlog
Wii
Super Paper Mario
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

DS
Super Princess Peach
Pokémon Pearl
Mario Hoops 3-on-3
Cooking Mama
Final Fantasy II

N64
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

GB/GBA
Donkey Kong
SMA1,2, and 4.

SNES
Super Mario World

Genesis
Sonic the Hedgehog
Comix Zone
Gunstar Heroes

PS1
Resident Evil
Blood Omen Legacy of Kain
Metal Gear Solid: VR missions

PC
Doom
Half-Life
Half-Life 2

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 10:59:37 PM »
Practically every RPG that I've started.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 11:58:19 PM »
Let's see...

Banjo-Kazooie Got distracted by stuff and forgot about it.
Donkey Kong Country 2 (GBA) Bleh. Bad port. All the extra stuff, crap controls and graphics ticked me off.
Earthbound Perhaps a bit too random for me. Boyfriend is constantly telling me to pick it back up.
Game & Watch Gallery 4 See BK
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 12:00:03 AM by N64 Chick »
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 04:28:40 AM »
Let's see what I can think of...

Bought But Never Even Opened Yet
Chulip (PS2) -- I buy Atlus titles that I think will be interesting the second they come out because they get rare FAST
Indigo Prophecy (PS2) -- I played a friend's copy but had to give it back before I finished. I later bought my own but it's still in the shrinkwrap.
Psychonauts (PC)
Command & Conquer Generals (PC)
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PC) -- I had very fond memories of playing the demo of this when it came out. I eventually bought it cheap online but it's still in the shrinkwrap.

Tragically Unbeaten Games
Karaoke Revolution 5 (Country) and 6 (American Idol) -- I've played both of these like once or twice.
Partners in Time -- Tried starting twice. Stalled out both times. *shrug*
Super Paper Mario -- Stalled on World 8. This will probably be remedied shortly.
Ouendan 2 -- Well, the ice skating stage on Very Hard keeps killing me while I have 300 combos and such. This is more like stuck than stalled!
Smooth Moves -- I kinda drifted away. I haven't even seen every microgame yet! This I will definitely go back to soon though.
Viewtiful Joe 2 -- I only tried on Adults and got stuck at a part. I've beaten the original on Adults with no deaths no prob like three times so... This one I plan to redo VERY soon.
Final Fantasy VI -- Most tragic tale of the list. I borrowed it from a friend in middle school. Got to final dungeon. Guess it was actually a game his brother had borrowed from someone else. So I was like fourth on the chain of borrowing and the original guy wanted/needed it back and it was wrested from my SNES while I was playing the final dungeon. I have never played FFVI since.
Final Fantasy VIII -- I have this for PC. The first time I played it I just drifted away at some point. The second time I was majorly gung-ho. I was quickly nearing the end and happened to upgrade my videocard. Turned out it requires some butt-old 2D hardware that modern cards don't even support so I could no longer play it. Next time I guess I'll play on PSX. Chupperson Weird was supposed to get me a copy.
Final Fantasy X -- I've played this twice and drifted away both times. The second time I'm sure I was almost done. Dang it!
Final Fantasy XII -- Played it once and drifted away. Just so I don't seem like a total loser, I have beaten FF1: Dawn of Souls, FFIV Advance, FFVII, and FFIX.
Fallout -- I've tried this like three times and never make it very far. Usually quit after Junktown, I think it was called.
Odin Sphere -- The entire I time I played this I was only thinking one thing: "Dang this makes me want to play Viewtiful Joe." So I did. Guess this reveals my true colors as a gamer. :P
World of Warcraft -- I'm still only level 69. My guild hates me. :(
Brood War -- I've gotten to the third to last mission like three times and always mysteriously drift away at that point. It's not a difficulty issue because I never really even try it. I have a complex about restarting games from the very beginning, so each of these times I played though the entire original campaign and then 95% of Brood War campaign. I recently restarted the whole process again because I need to see the complete story before Starcraft II hits.
Super Mario Sunshine -- Sure I've beaten it, but never got every Shine. The whole blue coin thing is pretty weak sauce.
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -- Stalled on 5th case.
Tales of Symphonia -- I couldn't bear to go on because an inventory item I gave away stayed in my inventory and also because sometimes there was voice acting and sometimes there wasn't. And the blonde girl's voice made me want to rip my hair out while slamming my foot in a door. Kratos (Kratos? Was that the name? How that name has changed for me :)) made up for it though, and made me want to melt into a wittle puddle of wuve (in a manly way, of course).
Star Fox Assault -- I got 8/9 endings...
Myst, Longest Journey, other Famous Adventure Games -- Due to my bullheadedness about using walkthroughs, many adventure games are impossible for me! BALLS!
Freedom Force -- My friend and I both had the same problem. We play until we get to the Impossible Mission with the mole people or whatever. A real shame too because I loooove the game.
Painkiller -- I think I couldn't figure out how to hurt the second big boss.
Tron 2.0 -- Always drift away.

And there are surely a hundred more, but these are the most tragic examples I could immediately think of. Man, this thread makes me feel like a major loser. Time to go cry.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 08:37:05 AM »
Super Mario 64 DS (the friend I borrowed it from got rid of his DS, so I won't finish this any time soon)
Lost Magic (see above)
Chrono Trigger (got stuck at Lavos...)
FFXII (the one time I actually got into it, I got slaughtered by a werewolf, gave up, and started playing R-TYPE Final)
FFVII (I have no interest in finishing this any time soon)
FFVIII (I got sidetracked by the card game)
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (I really have no excuse for not finishing either of these)

Games I have access to, but have yet to install and/or start:

FFIX
FFX
FFX-2
FFXI (yeah, I don't think I've ever bought a Final Fantasy game myself, so I'll have to play a friend's copy of FFIX, and my younger brother's FFX and FFX-2...I got an FFXI buddy pass, so I've got a free month of that when I get around to it)
Psychonauts (PC)
Beyond Good and Evil

Games I still need to buy:

Metroid Prime: Hunters
New Super Mario Bros.
Elite Beat Agents
Tetris DS
Mario Kart DS
A whole bunch of other DS games
StarCraft (this may no longer be true soon)

I'm definitely forgetting stuff, but seeing as I'm forgetting it, I don't know what it is right now...

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2007, 11:57:01 AM »
SMW (VC) -- Stuck in the first Ghost House. X_X
Metroid Prime -- Stuck on the final boss, and didn't play it again for months.  Started a new save file later, and beat it.
SM64 -- I've beaten the game, but I don't have all of the Stars yet.
SM Sunshine -- See SM64, but replace Stars with Shine Sprites.
Yoshi's Island (GBA) -- Stuck on World 4-4
SMB Deluxe -- Stuck on 8-1
PM: TTYD -- Beaten it twice.  My cousin and I stated a third save file.  I'm in the Palace of Shadow, but since I had already beaten the game twice, I got sidetracked by games that I have NOT beaten.
Pikmin 2 -- I was trying to get all the treasures, but I eventually got sidetracked
Animal Crossing -- I was satisfied when I finally got the Master Sword.  I might play it again sometime this summer to find more fish and bugs.
Pokemon Colosseum -- beat it; created a new file on a different memory card, but got distracted with other games.
Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness -- See Pokemon Colosseum
Zelda II: Adventure of Link (GBA) -- Too freaking hard.  Got past the first dungeon, but that's as far as I've gotten.
The Legend of Zelda (GBA) -- I beat it.  That's enough satisfaction for me.  I didn't get very far in the second quest.
Pokemon Pearl -- Trying to get Mesprit (I wish I hadn't used that Masterball on Palkia), but soon I'm just gonna say 'screw that' and go on to the Pokemon league.  Incidentally, I've been so distracted by the Internet that I haven't touched Pearl as much as I'd like to.
LoZ: Link's Awakening -- Beat it once on my friend's copy; I eventually got my own copy, but I don't really want to bother writing down the directions to reach the final boss.
Nintendogs -- Got distracted by Pokemon Pearl.  I need to get my dogs into the dog hotel...
NSMB -- Still play it every once in a while, but I'm stuck on W 6-6 and W 6-B.  I sometimes get sidetracked by playing Poker with Luigi.
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team -- Completed the story mode.  After getting some of my favorite legendaries, I got distracted with other games.
Hey You, Pikachu -- My chinchilla chewed on the microphone cord...
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 03:32:53 PM »
Hey, you copied my style.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 08:42:32 PM »
Wow, someone actually has trouble with NSMB? I have all star coins, levels and I'm making my way through it now with the "No backscrolling challenge" Code, but some areas are tough.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Print