Poll

Which of these boss roles is most important to a game?

Prologue Boss
1 (4%)
First Boss
1 (4%)
Second Boss
0 (0%)
Middlin' Boss
2 (8%)
Recurring Boss
5 (20%)
Penultimate Boss
2 (8%)
Final Boss
11 (44%)
Secret Boss
3 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Print

Author Topic: Which boss is the most important?  (Read 8177 times)

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 10:10:59 AM »
Hmm, this is a matter of opinions, I guess. I'm not sure about which Boss in a game I've played is either the Best Prologue boss, First Boss, Second Boss, Middlin' Boss, Recurring Boss, Penultimate Boss, Final Boss, or Secret Boss, but I believe the Last or Final Boss is the most important, though.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2007, 10:13:34 AM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »
My favorite kind of boss is the optional (and oftentimes secret) boss that can be battled multiple times for huge amounts of experience...Sephiroth in the Kingdom Hearts games comes to mind, though he isn't exactly secret.

Boo Dudley

• This is not a secret page hint
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 08:42:39 AM »
My favorite kind of boss is the optional (and oftentimes secret) boss that can be battled multiple times for huge amounts of experience...Sephiroth in the Kingdom Hearts games comes to mind, though he isn't exactly secret.

I was thinking about that while after I posted it. I'd put otional under secret.

Secret/Option Boss.

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 05:28:06 PM »
It might just be because I've been playing it so much lately, but Cave Story seems to have a good sampling of all of these...  Although some bosses in it fit in more than one category.  Balrog is both first and recurring, and Ballos was both secret and last.

Last boss is most important in my book, because there are some (albeit bad) games that don't HAVE any other bosses.  Although I'd go for recurring or secret for the most fun bosses.
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 09:40:28 AM »
Yeah, I think Secret and Recurring bosses are the most fun as well.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 01:23:37 AM »
I'm going to have to say Recurring Bosses are the most important.  They may not be the hardest boss or the final most powerful boss, but he is vital in continuing a game's conflict as well as flourishing a game's storyline.  While most bosses merely appear one time and then "pfft", they're done, a recurring boss continues to evolve and change along with the main characters as time goes on. They are like a thickening agent to the game's plot and the protagonist's struggles.  While they may be used simply to keep things interesting, they certainly do.  And you have to admire their determination to win.  Because they fight you multiple times before they admit defeat, it ultimately shows how "good conquers all", because obviously this boss was serious about his standpoint in evildoing, and yet still lost to the good guy, who was working just as hard as he was at this point.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 08:35:23 AM »
Very well put! You may have changed my view on bosses!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 11:13:26 AM »
Hooray, I'm influential!

Don't do drugs.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2007, 05:21:17 PM »
The final boss has always been and will always be the most important one of all the bosses. While the others may be as important in some parts of some stories, the use of the final boss is where they saved the best one for last. Of course, for a game, it depends if he is an integral part of it. The secret boss is only optional, so to me, he doesn't count much, unless it's a very special one that is extremely interesting.
I don't know if it's me, but i completely love both Mario and Peach to death. I guess i'm obsessed about both of them, huh?

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 07:40:16 PM »
I picked Recurring Boss because no one has yet picked Second Boss.
This is a secret coded message.

Print