Print

Author Topic: Serious Super Smash bros. Melee homerun help. (Secret character spoilers)  (Read 6152 times)

« on: August 10, 2007, 09:15:11 PM »
Whenever I try to do the homerun contest I always get 1000 feet or less, and I really want that secret stage. What is the best character? I have used Yoshi, as it is said he is one of the best, but he seems like one of the worst as I can only get 30 feet out of him. Roy gives 1000, but I need 1300 or higher to get that stage. Is there some kind of thing I am missing here? It seems like it is supposed to be easy or something.

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007, 09:22:43 PM »
I did it with Roy...

Use his up smash attack, charged up to it's full potential (continue this about 3 or 4 times), then charge up his B attack (at about 4 seconds left on the clock) and let loose.

For Yoshi, use his aerial down attack on the bag. Continue this until about 3 or 2 seconds left on the clock, then hit the sandbag with the homerun bat.

If this doesn't work, I don't know what will.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »
I have tried to use his up smash attack, but I cant charge it up. Everytime I try to charge it, Roy does some weird kick, and the sand bag falls to the ground nearby. And Yoshi knocks the sandbag off the platform when using down B. Isn't the platform longer in Japanese mode?

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007, 04:00:01 AM »
Down aerial= down A, not down B. If done correctly, by Yoshi, it does some incredible damage.

Anyway, my strategy (which, while it won't win any world records, can certainly unlock most unlockables for the Home Run Contest) uses Ganondorf. I use a well-charged Up-A, followed by a Down-A Meteor Smash, then repeat it (giving the bag a VERY respectable amount of damage). After that, I use Warlock Punch and send that bag flying.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 11:47:22 AM »
I did this with Roy. I used a small attack and then I got the sandbag to the edge. I then charged up my smash attack and I hit the sandbag. It went pretty far!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 09:50:29 PM »
I did this with Captain Falcon and Ganondorf, getting around 3,200 feet with CF and around 5,400 feet with Ganondorf. I jump, drop the homerun bat at the peak of my jump with Z, do a meteor smash(down + A in mid-air), then L-cancel. After that, I jump, then catch the homerun bat with Z, and drop it right after I catch it with Z. Finally, I use a meteor smash and then repeat the whole strategy again. At the end, I do a Falcon Punch or Warlock Punch, depending on the character. The sandbag should have around 260% damage after you're done hitting it with Ganondorf(not sure about Captain Falcon). Yes, I already know this is ALMOST the world record strategy.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 09:52:35 PM by Kimimaru »
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
Yeah, Yoshi's flutter kick usually does the trick. There's this guide on GameFaqs... you can get at least a couple thousand out of every character if you do it right.

BTW: This game has been out for six years. I appreciate you being careful, but that's not really a spoiler anymore.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Fwirt

• Now in Cherry
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 09:12:48 PM »
"Say, you good at video games?  I'm not good at video games.  The last time I fired up one of my old Sega tapes it made me a waffle."

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 07:43:04 PM »
Yoshi is the best to use in the Home Run Contest. The flutter kick, if done correctly by not flying high in the air at all and then falling down, creates massive damage. It's a rather advanced technique called the "shffl." It stands for "short hop fast fall land," I believe. I have barely scratched the surface on the technique, but I will be working on it eventually. It can be a rather incredible fighting technique in SSBM.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »
The shffl? I mastered that already and only got about 2,600 with Yoshi when I did it. Once you master it you'll find out that it's actually really easy to do. I believe that Ganondorf is the best for the homerun contest. You HAVE to see those World Record videos. Something about them just seems a little off...
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 05:16:58 PM »
I used Dr. Mario 'cause of his cape ability. I forgot the pattern, but I think I got 1450 or something like that.
KOOLO LIMPA!!!

Sqrt2

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 06:52:29 AM »
I used the DK headbutt/handslap method and can get distances >400m (not sure what that is in imperial units though). Now all I need to do is get a diatance of >450m to get the Paper Mario Trophy.
AA fanboy and proud!

David

• Trusts the fungus
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 10:40:54 PM »
I used Yoshi and his flutter kick.
Let's do the Mario, all together now!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 04:19:21 AM »
Well, I just did something pretty weird. As Ness, I jumped up and started smacking Sandbag around first with a down-A aerial, then multiple up-A aerial attacks. When the time was about to end, Sandbag had 70% and was just over my head... I swung, hit it for only 8%, but got 1247.7Ft. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the screeching sound effect...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 08:43:12 AM »
If you guys watch videos on the internet, they can help you a lot. From them, I have improved my Gannondorf record from 5,500 feet to 9,003 feet.

Print