Print

Author Topic: Metroid: Other M  (Read 23691 times)

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 01:49:36 PM »
A) Metroid Prime is not an FPS. It is first-person and it does work, but it's a very different feel than "FPS". It's really just best described as 3D Metroid (and one of my favorite games ever).

B) The stuff they showed involving Samus's old commander (who calls her Lady) strongly shows its not a Fusion or especially not a Super remake. Don't believe obviously false things you read on the internet Brian.

C) Team Ninja made the modern Ninja Gaidens, not the NES ones.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
So, it's a prequel. WOO GLAD WE WERE ABLE TO FIGURE THAT OUT.

And I'd like to see an actual demo runthrough of the gameplay. I've seen the trailer twice and I can't quite decide if it's a Prime-style FPS or a sidescrolling beat-em-up or what.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 05:05:26 PM »
The stuff they showed involving Samus's old commander (who calls her Lady) strongly shows its not a Fusion or especially not a Super remake. Don't believe obviously false things you read on the internet Brian.
Looks, well... awesome.

My only possible gripe is there's rumors of this being a Super Metroid or Metroid Fusion remake
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 04:45:49 AM »
So in light of this announcement I tried playing Prime again and it really isn't quite as bad as I'm making it out to be.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 11:02:31 AM »
Prime is a Metroid I enjoy.
That was a joke.

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 03:59:52 PM »
No need to restate myself, so a chat log will do.

[17:39] <BriGuy92> Saw the Metroid: Other M trailer today.
[17:39] <BriGuy92> And then I said "DO WANT" very loudly
[17:39] <BriGuy92> Which was kind of awkward, because I was at school
[17:41] <BriGuy92> It was certainly true though
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 05:58:59 PM »
I was astounded by this game. I really can't wait to get it. Or at least rent it until I beat it. :D
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
I'm just curious, and correct me if this has been answered, but what the truck does "Other M" mean?

Also, hey, MJ's back.
every

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 06:21:31 PM »
I'm just curious, and correct me if this has been answered, but what the truck does "Other M" mean?

It's undoubtedly some essential plot detail. Considering the veritable plethora of new faces in this instalment, I'd assume it to be a character.

Also, hey, MJ's back.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:23:39 PM by Weegee »
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 06:26:01 PM »
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 07:02:19 PM »
Looks kinda cool and Adam Malkovich suggests being between Super and Fusion.  I'm really hoping that someday they make another 2D metroid game, those were my favourites.  I started playing Prime, but haven't gotten far yet because first person shooters aren't for me either, but seeing as though it's Metroid and I love that series, I'm gonna try and get into it.

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 02:03:29 PM »
The Metroid Database has a nice breakdown of the E3 video.. Here
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2010, 02:28:57 PM »
The more I see of this game, the more I want it.

...have I said that already?

In any case, apparently the intro has been leaked.  Spoilers, obviously.  But I have a couple of questions.  First, why the **** does the Hyper Beam look just like the Power Beam?  And second, where the **** is Samus' Gravity Suit?  I'm tired of seeing the awesomeness that is the Gravity Suit get the cold shoulder.  The Gravity Suit is to power ups what EarthBound is to video games - awesome, but Nintendo decided "screw it."  Also, does anyone actually believe that Ridley is dead for good?  Let me answer that for you.  Of course you don't.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

BriGuy92

• Luck of the Irish
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 04:43:17 PM »
Holy massive necropost, Batman!

Anyway, yeah, that intro is old news. And to answer a question from a year ago that went unanswered, the generally-accepted theory is that the real title of the game is going to be Metroid: Mother, given the importance of Mother Brain in said intro and Samus's maternal instinct toward the metroid baby. Also, Other M is "mother" with the M at the end and Metroid: Other M is abbreviated as "MOM". So... yeah. It wouldn't surprise me if everyone already knew that, but whatever.
Know the most important contribution of the organ Fund science girls type. It's true!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 07:14:30 AM »
Nintendo said there was an update, but I don't see anything new here:

Metroid Franchise’s Heroine Gets Personal
For decades, Samus Aran has been known as one of the first female
protagonists in video games, and one of the most enigmatic. Having traded
her haunted past for the solitary life of a bounty hunter, Samus™ finally tells
her own tale in this revealing, personal story of her failings, her flaws and
ultimately her motivation. Metroid: Other M is an unprecedented collaboration
that blends the slick, action-packed production of the world-renowned Team
Ninja development team with the game design talents of the creators of the
original Metroid. Metroid: Other M is a dramatic new direction for a legendary
franchise and a bold new blend between cinematics, storytelling and the best
in interactive entertainment.

FEATURES:
• Metroid: Other M takes the best elements of first-person and third-person gaming to
create a seamless blend between game play, storytelling and dynamic
cinematography. Players hold the Wii Remote™ controller sideways while navigating
and battling in third-person. However, at any moment, players can switch
immediately to Wii Remote pointer controls to examine and explore the environments
in first-person perspective.
• Metroid fans know more about Samus’ suits and weapons than they do about what
drives her. That’s about to change. The story begins in the middle of the events of
Super Metroid™, when a baby Metroid gave its life to protect Samus. With voice
acting and a rich story, players learn more about Samus’ past as she weaves
through an action-packed adventure aboard the Bottle Ship, a decommissioned
space facility. As she hurtles into this new adventure, Samus will encounter her first
mentor and Commanding Officer of the Galactic Federation, Adam Malkovich.
• The development of Metroid: Other M is an exciting collaboration between Nintendo’s
Yoshio Sakamoto and Team Ninja. Sakamoto was the director of Super Metroid in
1994. Team Ninja is the renowned action developer of Ninja Gaiden. Metroid: Other
M pairs Sakamoto’s expert game design and exploratory focus of the classic Metroid
series with Team Ninja’s signature stylish, no-holds-barred action.

Platform: Wii
Genre: Action Adventure
Players: 1
Rating: T (Teen) – Animated Blood, Violence
Release: August 31, 2010
Developer: Nintendo and Team Ninja
URL: www.metroid.com
Suggested Retail Price: $49.99
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Print