Poll

Do you think used game sales take away money from the developers?

Yes
9 (42.9%)
No
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Print

Author Topic: Used Games: Bad for the Industry?  (Read 20762 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: March 31, 2007, 12:28:49 PM »
Personally, I say no. Used games have already been sold once new, and so it's not like the game developers and publishers are actually losing anything. The other day, I was at GameStop, and some random jerk saw I was buying a used game that was $50 new. He went up to me and said "Hey, y'know, you're ruining the industry by buying used games." Being the civilized person I am, I suppressed the urge to say "Back off, jerk", and instead replied that the game had already been sold for $50, and I was simply buying it for a reduced price that goes to someone else.
It's not like Ford or Lincoln sees someone buy a used car and says "Dang it, there goes our profits right down the crapper!" They already made a profit, and it's downright greedy for them to feel cheated if they can't make twice as much off a single product. I, for one, don't have $50 to burn on a game I might hate, and so I pay less for a game that's already been sold.
It's a similar deal with downloadable games. I don't want to pay $60 to download some PC game I might be able to get for $50, especially because I have dial-up and it'll take four days to get the thing on my hard drive. Same goes for downloadable mini-games on consoles: I have a PS2 and GameCube, and I have no intention right now of getting a 360 or PS3 (or even Wii), since they all, in some way or another, require getting broadband, which my family simply can't afford right now.
So, in closing, I'd like to see everyone's opinion on this topic. That's why this is a pole, of course.
every

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2007, 01:15:39 PM »
My opinion: To heck with the industry! Cheap games!

Xbox 360 and PS3 and Wii do not require broadband. That's only if you wish to use the internet features. You can still play games on them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 01:17:39 PM by bobman37 »

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2007, 01:37:58 PM »
I say no. But I don't buy used games, since I like to have the box, manual, and any other swag that comes with it.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2007, 03:13:45 PM »
I buy used games only under these circumstances:
-The game is not sold new anymore
-I have the manual, box, and all for the game, but the game itself is lost or otherwise unplayable
There's nothing wrong with recycling. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Nintendo or whatever company put out the game made money off of that game when it was first purchased, so there's no reason it can't be resold.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2007, 03:47:13 PM »
The massive prevalence of used games sales in today's market is the largest problem in the game industry today. The largest game-centric retailers out there (EBGames, Gamestop) are nowadays nothing more than pawn shops, receiving tiny quantities of new games and pushing used sales and trade-ins with every customer interaction bar none. Each used game sold amounts to exactly zero dollars going to anyone that had anything to do with creating and publishing the game. I've seen developer after developer say, "If you're going to buy our game used, just pirate it instead and save your money to buy something else (new)". So yes, used game sales take money away from developers. Funny you should mention this today, because check out the Penny Arcade newspost for Friday.

As Tycho points out, luckily this will all become a moot point soon, as digital distribution cuts out the sniveling wretches of Gamestop and their ilk.

Say NO to used games.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »
It's pretty tough to find new games I want (considering all the crap games released that push worthwhile purchases off the shelves), so I'm forced to deal with used games. However, I still can't find a copy of Gradius V, new or used. Yes, I know how long ago it was released, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't necessarily see it new at one of the stores around me (especially since I got my copy of Fantavision new a couple months ago).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 03:57:59 PM by WarpRattler »

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 03:57:21 PM »
If I can't find a game new, I buy it from an online retailer.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 04:00:37 PM »
I only get paid $20 a month, if I'm lucky. You think I can afford a $50 game, plus shipping? Online sales aren't for me.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 04:06:47 PM »
I don't think selling used games is hurting the developers. If you think of it , they make more money that way, because when it first comes out, they make money that way; Then when it isn't popular any more, pepole sell there copy, then the pepole who couldn't afford it the first time around get to buy it.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
I get all my old games off of eBay.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 04:31:43 PM »
Since my local GameStop and Software Etc. switched to the EB Games Windows based POS and inventory system they are allowing customers to cancel pre-orders after the game comes out.  I have canceled all my ten or so pre-orders, rolled the money onto other pre-orders and usually bought the games new elsewhere (often for less money).  This way GameStop/Software Etc. will have new games in stock, I get a call when the game I want comes out, and I often save money.  I hope these extra new games my stores have in stock are sold and thus become more money for the games developers. 

I can understand GameStop business model though.  It's a great plan for them even though it hurts the industry.  They might buy a used game from someone for two dollars then sell it for twenty dollars.  That makes them eighteen dollars (minus expenses) which is more than they make off of new games.  The only real reason they do pre-orders and sell new games in general is to get people in the store.  The Game Informer magazine and GameStop card serve the same purpose.  I haven't bought a subscription/card in a long time, because I don't need them now that I'm a more picky shopper and only buy new games I know I'll like. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 10:40:53 PM »
The "I'm Poor" argument (WarpWrattler) and the "I don't understand the difference between a developer and a retailer" argument (PaperWario) have nothing to do with the question of the poll:

Do you think used game sales take away money from the developers?

Regardless of your opinion of Gamestop's business practices, the answer to the question is yes. The 6 voters for No are tards.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2007, 11:10:32 PM »
The way I think about it, the company that makes the game expects one sale per unit. Let's say stores like Gamestop didn't exist, and if you wanted to buy used games, you had to get them from stores that only sell them new currently (Best Buy, Wal*Mart, etc) and all money gets distributed among the makers, as if it is being sold new again. That means these game-makers would be getting two-plus sales per unit, which, essentially, is like selling the game, taking it back, and selling it again for a larger total gain. I understand how, when you insert Gamestop, it looks as though those sales after the initial one are being "stolen" from the makers of the game. However, I don't think the game-makers should complain about not getting those after-sales (or, I don't think they should complain about losing money to the used game industry). I think after they sell the game, they should forget about that copy and focus on getting more copies sold. Complaining about lost money due to used game stores is like complaining because after you sold a car, some other guy sold it for more. Too bad! It's out of your hands.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2007, 12:30:41 AM »
Lizard Dude is 100% right as far as in-print games goes. If a game is out of print and out of stock, the only way to find it is used, and heck if I'm not going to buy it used if I can.
That said, whenever possible I buy new games new. I'm not sure exactly how retail games work, because unless you're getting it direct from the publisher, I think the online retailer/game store already bought it from the company making it. I could be wrong.
I really don't understand what the heck Bobman is talking about.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2007, 12:34:45 AM »
The first part of your post (bobman) has nothing to do with anything. You describe some sort of fantasy business model where games are bought from people used and then treated like a new game off the shelf, with money going to developers. This wouldn't happen if Gamestops didn't exist, because then used games wouldn't be getting bought back. They'd just sell more, ya know, new new games.

As for the second part of your post:

However, I don't think the game-makers should complain about not getting those after-sales (or, I don't think they should complain about losing money to the used game industry). I think after they sell the game, they should forget about that copy and focus on getting more copies sold.
Right. Focus on getting more copies sold. That's what the game companies are trying to do and that's what Gamestop is making impossible, on purpose. The stores only stock ludicrously low amounts of new product and push nothing but used upon the customer. And each of those used sales prevents a new sale of the same game.

Print